What Keto Can Do For You!

6 months on keto, 36 pounds lost. 67 yo female, 5-1, started at 170 pounds with a diagnosis of pre-diabetes, a hemoglobin A1C of 6, a fasting insulin of 37, a diagnosis of NASH(non-alcoholic steatohepatitis, the more serious form of fatty liver), elevated liver enzymes and a long history of hypoglycemia.

Had labs done in the last month. Hemoglobin a1c now 5.0 ( fasting glucose was 103, down from 113). Liver enzymes all normal. Electrolytes all normal. Fasting insulin down to 12. Normal, normal, normal.

Does keto work? Yes, absolutely. If it isn’t working for you, look closely at what you’re doing and change something. I’m older, female, shorter and was barely in the obese category and extremely insulin resistant. I know we’re all special snowflakes, but I firmly believe this way of eating works if you work it, to steal an Alanon line.

I know it’s not always easy and listening to other people tell you how they just could never stop eating spaghetti gets a little old at times. I rarely talk about keto because I know most people won’t put the effort into it and will end up doing a high fat, high carb diet-- the worst possible combo. And then they’ll tell me my diet didn’t work for them. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

This is doable. Please do it. I want all us special snowflakes to succeed at this, and change the world.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #2

:clap::clap::clap:

(Maha) #3

Well said! I agree about your suggestion if it isn’t working for someone. For the vast majority of us, I’m convinced this is the way to go. I am 48 and have every confidence of reaching my old age in excellent health. I never used to believe that. In fact, when I used to browse around for our retirement house (I’m anxious to retire!), I was only looking at one stories because of the myth of old people not being able to use stairs (I love stairs in the house). Now I’m looking at 2 stories and have no concerns that I’ll be able to use stairs until I die. There might be other reasons I might not be able to use stairs, but being fat won’t be one of them, and I have no other foreseeable health reasons that would keep me from using stairs.

Excellent work on your significant health improvements. What a great feeling it is, huh? Keep up the good work!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

I have a coworker who’s doing “Keto.”

I put it in “”’s because though she calls it Keto, whatever it is, it’s NOT Keto.

I don’t talk to her about it because unless asked I’m not going to comment on how others eat.
She knows I’m doing Keto and she can see I’m being successful with it, so I figure if she is struggling and wants to figure out why it’s working for me and not for her, she will come asking.

Or she will simply give up and proclaim Keto doesn’t work for her. This is harmful as it can give others the perception that Keto is a fad diet that doesn’t actually work, but I’m simply going to have to be the example that it does.

Exactly how I feel. People ask all the time, but I’m reluctant to explain much. And then there’s my sister, a thin T2 diabetic on two kinds of insulin, who says she feels just fine and doesn’t need to lose weight, and besides she couldn’t possibly give up carbs.:weary:

I wish people’s faces turned green or something when their blood glucose goes up, so they would take it seriously.:crazy_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

She doesn’t understand that keto is about metabolic health; weight loss doesn’t happen if you don’t have fat to lose. On the other hand, she just gave me an idea for a T-shirt: TOES OVER CARBS.

You don’t know how many times I’ve tried to get this through to her! I guess you can’t make people hear until they’re ready to hear.:disappointed_relieved:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

Alas, when they’re ready, you can’t say the wrong thing, but until they’re ready, you can’t say the right thing! :frowning:

(Ron) #9

Yeah, I have a good friend that comments on my progress often. He and his wife started The South Beach Diet about the same time as I started Keto and they are having some success but slow and definitely not keeping pace with me. When me and him do something together (like a day of fishing) he always comments on my lack of eating though out the day and often leads to expressed desire to enjoy successes like me but won’t do it because he isn’t going to starve himself. :confused: :astonished::roll_eyes::scream:
I reflect to myself every time I watch him dig out something to eat about every 30 minutes, how I used to be like that. Thank God for Keto!!:joy::joy::joy:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

“They shall fast and not be hungry, they shall eat fat and be satisfied.” (Keteronomy 23:6)

(Raj Seth) #11

FIFY

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

Actually, I believe that’s II Dudes 12:13.

(Doug) #13

Great post, Noapples4u. :slightly_smiling_face:

:sunglasses::smile:

But hey, if we’re gonna get all biblical, then my favorites; just can’t give them up:

Proverbs 31; 6-7:

Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.