What is the longest fast that you've completed?

This one, 111 hours, completed at 0930 this morning…bacon, eggs and butter :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Mberg) #124

Oooh that sounds good

Day 46…fantastic. I could only do 7 days and then I started feeling not so good.

Thanks Fatzo! I will have to try making this. I bet it would especially be great on cold mornings.

(Zu) #127

Um every single morning really… I pack in in a 1L jar, put the lid on and take it in the car too… I no longer need to eat for long drives - too full from my latte!

(Zu) #128

here is a pic today of my BP green jasmine tea

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #129

Knowing when to stop is crucial. 7 days is a good long fast. What kind of changes did you notice post fast?

I’ve done 7 - 10 days multiple times, but this is the first time I’ve ever done a truly extended fast before. Tomorrow will make 7 weeks. So far I’m feeling well most of the time - just realized my potassium levels were low, contributing to feeling tired for the last few days. Popped an extended release potassium this morning - problem solved!

I had fatigued and achy muscles and felt weak. I took a multi, magnesium, sodium…but it didn’t help. And the couple lbs I lost I gained back, so extended fasts don’t seem to work well for me. I like IF better, and think it helps my IR better. I think my hashimotos Thyroiditis is the biggest factor in me not being able to sustain a longer fast. I wish my body was normal because I would love to accomplish what you have accomplished, :slight_smile:

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #131

I had good results with IF, but it wasn’t quite enough to reverse my IR - was still dealing with central obesity. (Plus a tendency to regain easily.)

With Hashimoto’s you really need to pay attention to what your body is telling you - I would suspect a long fast might not be a good idea.

Maybe try 24 hour fasts 2-3 times per week and see how that works(?)

That sounds like the best solution. And I’ve found I actually feel better with higher protein and lower fat. That’s what I started last week. Along with 16/8 fasting. I’ll add in a couple 24 hr fasts and see how it goes. I used to consistantly fast exactly that way, but felt I was gaining fat and losing muscle. So now I’m doing protein/fat 2:1 and I feel good. I lost 2 lbs in the last 2 weeks, fluke? We’ll see. I haven’t found my sweet spot yet, but heck, I’m gonna keep trying :slight_smile:

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #133

Ultimately that’s what each of us have to do - find what works for our individual bodies. (A lot of people are happier on a higher protein diet and thrive on it, others on low carb, high fat, moderate protein and still others swear by an all plant based vegan diet.)

It will be interesting to see if your higher protein intake works well with your IF program so that you retain/build more muscle this time around.

I’ll keep you posted :wink:

(Carolyn Gephart Wilson) #135

I’ll look forward to your update.

(Mberg) #136

Wow that’s amazing!

(333c7c9095896ec65859) #137

So, I am currently on day 122. I will end this marathon fast on Nov. 1st at 126 days and will then use a very conservative protocol which will take a total of two months to complete the refeeding process while staying in ketosis.

Just had complete labs done. Everything is good other than a very low BUN which is actually a good thing as it shows I’m not processing protein. (Since I’m not eating, the only significant protein source other than small amounts from autophagy, would be if Ii were breaking down muscles tissue.)

Fasting blood glucose dropped from 97 to 70
A1C dropped from 5.6 to 4.5.

Weight dropped from 194 lbs. to 138. Waist has dropped 6.5 inches so I no longer meet the criteria for central obesity and am in the “normal weight” range for my height.

I have supplemented with the RDI with salt, potassium, magnesium and phosphorous and also take a high quality whole food based multivitamin, CoQ10, and purified fish oil. I have a medical background and have felt confident in my ability to monitor myself for any signs of physiological stress or complications.

One of the important things I’ve learned on this journey is that for most people IF and fasts of up to two weeks will very effectively accomplish their goals. (For some of us, with decades of obesity, a truly extended fast may be necessary to break out of the metabolic rut we are in. However, while long fasts are very powerful they also come with ncreased risks.)

Cheers everyone!

:cherry_blossom: Carolyn

Wow!!! this is really amazing. I’m imagining the shudder that would pass through pharmaceutical companies if all diabetics or pre-diabetics realized that they could just not eat for a few months and reverse metabolic damage.

(I don’t know if you were on that path, but it looks like the pre-fast A1C put you officially in that zone.)

Huge congratulations to you, Carolyn!

(KCKO, KCFO) #139

Congrats on all your great results.

(333c7c9095896ec65859) #140

Definitely trending towards pre-diabetes. A1C was borderline per the lab used and Fadting glucose was getting awful close to that 100 mark!

Actually, all it takes to improve even diabetes and put those numbers into the normal range is adopting a low carb diet and combining it with short, frequent 1 day - 3 day fasts.

Absolutely no need to go months!

Thanks for the kind words!

(333c7c9095896ec65859) #141

Sorry - auto correct is a little crazy today!

“Fasting” not Fadting and “combining” not combing!

:smirk:

(Bacon for the Win) #142

no worries there. People think they’re going to die at the first hunger pain.