What is it with chicken breast?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #41

Thank you. That’s high praise coming from you, @Alecmcq:rofl:

(Wendy) #42

Chicken and Turkey legs and thighs my favorite! More flavor!!
:stuck_out_tongue:And more fat!

If the chicken dies for us, we should eat it.

I’ve always had problems with mist animal fats, including chicken fat. The breast is the only part I could ever stomach, no matter how the chicken is prepared. Even keto hasn’t managed to fix this issue, but I might try yet again and see if digestive enzymes do the trick.

I also don’t believe in hitting the fat macro. My body tells me if it wants more protein, and I’ve also experienced a real hunger for butter, so I’ve concluded that my body also tells me when it needs more fat. To satiety and according to desire is my way, except that I’ve ended up always making sure to get a minimal amount of protein. I’ll get a headache otherwise.

(Karim Wassef) #45

Skip the chicken all together… go to duck and keep the fatty skin on…

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #46

When I eat a rotisserie chicken I cut it in half and eat half of the chicken for one meal and eat all the meat (and some little bones). The breast is lacks some flavor but I like the variety.

('Jackie P') #47

If you are cooking a whole chicken, try either one of these methods,
A) loosen the skin over the breast, very carefully push your hand through, so as not to tear it… When it is done push in 8 oz softened butter with crushed garlic work it around so it covers the breast under the skin. Then secure the skin back down. Poke a halved lemon and a bunch of thyme up it’s bum! Oil and season the skin and cook slowly.
B) a lazier version is to put a halved lemon, thyme and a handful of butter up it’s bum and roast upside down!
If you just have a chicken breast, stuff it with cheese and wrap it in bacon!

(Ellen) #48

I do A if roasting a chicken (no clue on how much butter I use though), usually add a bit of lemon juice & tarragon to the butter as well. It definitely makes a moister, juicier breast.

(*Tame Those Ghrelin Gremlins) #49

I fry mine in coconut oil, it’s amazing! Don’t think it should be banned for Keto. I get plenty of fats elsewhere I love all cuts of chicken.

I roasted an air chilled chicken not long ago and the breast meat was super juicy and flavorful. I read that’s how chicken is processed in Europe and is now catching on here in the states

('Jackie P') #51

Talk me through air chilled chicken? I heard it a coupla days ago and not sure what it is?

It’s the way they initially cool down the chicken after killing them. Most chicken here in the states is run through chlorinated cold water to bring down the temperature fast, which results in a waterlogged and slightly less safe chicken. It’s cheaper to do it this way. Air chilled keeps the chickens separate so that you don’t cross contaminate and avoids the watery chemical bath. It really does make a diffence. When I roasted the air chilled chicken, I had maybe 20% of the volume of liquid cook out of it compared to a normal mass market chicken. All the juices were juices and the butter I put under the skin, not a watery soup of everything.

They cost $2-3 more, but you aren’t paying for a pound of added water.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2016-08-03/why-you-should-cook-air-chilled-chicken

('Jackie P') #53

Thank you for taking the trouble to tell me this. I am looking at uk options. Seems to be a lot of grain fed air chilled.

(Alec) #54

I actually had some chicken breast yesterday… part of a half chicken. Confirmed my view that breast is pretty yucky. Ate all the rest, left half the breast. Tasteless.

('Jackie P') #56

Haha, I agree that the whole bird should be eaten but I don’t necessarily have to be the one to do it! I think breasts must sell better judging by the price. I prefer to buy thighs, wings and drumsticks. Even chicken livers for pate!
If I roast a whole chicken I give the breasts to my Mum who likes them cold with salad!
A Filipino colleague once asked me "what do the British do with chicken breasts on a roast chicken " her family wouldn’t eat them!
I didn’t get it at the time but I do now!

(Alec) #58

Because I was at a restaurant.

(Alec) #60

I’ve come to the conclusion that chicken wings are some of the best part of the bird. Skin, fat, brown meat, lovely. About to have some now. Yum…

(Alec) #61