What is it with chicken breast?

(Karen) #21

The trick is to NOT overcook it. I love chicken salad with walnuts, celery, bit if onion, real fat mayo mixed with homemade blue cheese dressing. Yummy on a bed of greens.

K

(Diane) #22

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-moist-tender-chicken-breasts-every-time-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-36891

I use this method to make perfectly juicy chicken breasts. They are a great canvas for wonderful, fatty sauces.

(GINA ) #23

I like chicken breast. They are only dry if they are overcooked. I usually add a sauce or butter, but I would do that anyway.

Exactly. The problem is they’re using up their protein allowance without getting enough fat. I just had 4 1/2 ounces of home-cured and smoked bacon, weighed after cooking. It was only a little more than a third of my fat goal (44.8/125 grams) but almost half of my protein goal (43.3/100). Imagine if that had been chicken breast: even with skin on it would have been only 9.5 grams of fat but 34.9 grams of protein. Chicken breast makes it hard to hit keto macros. Mayo, butter, etc must come to the rescue.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #25

Seems valid, except the headline is wrong.

Sous vide is the absolute best way to good the no good very bad BS Chicken breasts.

I don’t put a lot of stock in food photos, but the difference in texture between the poached and the sous vide is worth considering.

(Ashley) #26

Does it not dry out chicken? I’ve heard mixed reviews on chicken sous vide. I have a joule sous vide I lucked into getting for free on amazon last year. They never charged my card and when I called and reported it they said oh well it’s already shipped so enjoy.

(Daniel) #27

Let people enjoy things.

(Jessica) #28

I enjoy thighs and that’s what we typically eat when roasting meat. But, I don’t like thigh meat in salad. I love breast in salad…with bacon and avocado and fatty dressing.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #29

It’s all about time and temp. It dries out if you cook to 165. It’s great at 140.

(Diane) #30

I just got my Anova! I’ll definitley try out sous vide chicken breasts. Thanks for the link.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #31

What two consenting adults do in the privacy of their home is none of our business! :angel:

(Terence Dean) #32

We save the lard from pan after we cook the meat, stored in a small bowl in the fridge. Just keep adding to it, my mom used to do that when I was a kid. Mind you I do enjoy duck fat, so I have that in the fridge as well. I’ve seen organic lard in the supermarket but never needed to buy it.

It’s always the last bit of the chicken I eat too and have never liked it much. I have to say though that when the chicken is cooked upside down form the norm, so breasts facing down, in a Dutch oven nice and slow and low with lots of butter the breast is quite delicious :slight_smile:

Each to their own - some people prefer chicken breasts and that is fine.

(Ashley) #34

I am Sous vide chicken breast atm, I have it set to 140 for 2 hours!

(Ashley) #35

Okay I am completely sold on chicken in the sous vide. It’s like butter smooth like a good steak! Wow.

(Brian) #36

My wife put the turkey in upside down this past Thanksgiving. Roasted in the oven several hours before making that discovery. It was one of the juiciest turkey breasts we ever had. Sometimes even accidents turn out better than if we’d done it right to begin with.

I saw that tip on a cooking prog years ago and always cook birds that way up now. The breast is always too dry for me otherwise. I know that is probably me cooking it too long or whatever but the upside down trick works a treat so win win!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #38

Okay @Alecmcq resurrected the thread by posting a link so here it is. No matter how “keto” people say a certain cut is, it’s responsible to use all the animal and healthy. Breast meat as some said is a great vehicle for rich sauces.

Others talk about you can’t hit you 126gram macro for fat without too much getting too much protein. I think that this is very individual. Starting keto you might need all the fatty cuts of meat to do things easily. But after you’re fat adapted for me it’s hard to not overdo it on fat so I can burn my own. Lean meats like chicken breast and pork loin allow me to have a filling dinner and not go overboard on fats. I eat breakfast and early dinner most days and bacon, eggs, cheese, and HWC in my coffe is quite a bit over half my fat macro. By the way I don’t try to hit macros exactly, they’re just a guide line. I am often over my fat macro by 50% without trying to add fat putting butter on stuff. Yes, chicken thighs are better in my opinion too but all of the chicken is great in different recipes. And sousvide Chicken breast can be divine.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #39

I only like the white meat (the breast.) But my favorite part of the rotisserie chicken is ALL the skin, so I am getting the fat with the lean.

(Alec) #40

Acceptable. :grin: