What is going on with fluid draining out of my body?

(Edith) #61

You really do want to get those levels checked, though. My mom had parathyroid trouble and even though she wasn’t taking any vitamin D or calcium, her calcium levels still went up due to the over active parathyroid leaching calcium from her bones.

(Omar) #62

I placed order for parathyroid test today

(Omar) #63

The test result for the parathyroid and vitamin D will be out tomorrow.

The calcium is 9.8

(Robin) #64

For those of us who don’t know what the numbers mean… is 9.8 ok?

(Allie) #65

Very high.

The normal calcium range is around 2.2 to 2.6 millimoles per litre (mmol/L). You’ll be advised to keep your calcium levels in a slightly lower range – for example, 1.8 to 2.25mmol/L

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/hypoparathyroidism/#:~:text=The%20normal%20calcium%20range%20is,1.8%20to%202.25mmol%2FL.

(Omar) #66

When I said 9.8 I should have mentioned the units, my fault

it is 9.8 mg/dl not mmol/liter ( 10mg/dl = 2.5mmol/lit)

the doctor said up to 12 mg/dl is ok but any higher will indicate an issue

I also trust @Just_Juju more than the doctor when she mentioned that even 10 is not favrouble if I understood correctly.

The doctor said that he can not say anything until he see the result of vitamin D and parathyroid test which will hapen tomorrow or after tomorrow.

(Omar) #67

I find this link to be informative

I included it here for referance because in one year I am going to forget every thing

There are some people who can be very healthy who happen to have always have a value in the 9s. But the old guidelines of up to 10.2 as normal is not accurate. Waiting until it is over 12 is also outdated guidelines based on random diagnostic criteria meant to only be temporary until they could reconvene with solid data. They never reconvened and their diagnostic criteria is not based on scientific data.

Norman Parathyroid Clinic in Tampa FL are the only surgeons with the very data the convention was waiting for decades ago and it shows that you cannot use “how high” as a diagnostic lever. It needs to be “how long” at a level 10.0 or higher. Their data shows some of the worst cases never exceeded 10.0 or 10,1, or 10.4, etc.

Had my doctors waited until I had levels higher than 12.0 (which they were to my annoyance which is why I took matters into my own hands,) I would have died first before it ever rose to a 12. I had an average of 10.1 over a 7 year period with some tests showing 9.4 or 9.8 but many showing 10.0 and 10.1. I once had a 10.4. And I had three huge parathyroid tumors that caused me severe osteoporosis. I just broke another rib this week carrying a backpack for a few days.

I really believe if you want to understand calcium best, along with Vitamin D and PTH, and any other thyroid or parathyroid issues based on actual science and data collected from 55,000+ surgeries done by the best surgeons in the world, you need to exhaust all the resources on the website parathyroid.com. They are the experts and have pages and pages of data, graphs, explanations, guidance, and medical journal publications of their findings.