What happened with Jimmy Moore at the weekend?

(Norma Laming) #67

I think that’s the thing. His whole life is centred on food, more particularly on eating food. Which seems not to be a good thing.

(Charlie Kathopoulis) #68

And that’s why we sponsor the Dudes at Patroen - I hope @carl & @richard keep up their great work and efforts. We really do appreciate them

I have learned from JM’s podcasts. But as others have mentioned, he doesn’t seem super mature sometimes. It’s as if he can’t handle not being the center of attention, so when his more qualified guests/co-hosts use a big word for example, he actually somehow treats them condescendingly and halts them, forces them to explain, etc. Cringe-worthy.

(Damon Chance) #70

He does that, he says, because if he thinks it will be over most people’s head he wants to get it explained at an easier to understand level. He does seem a bit condescending at times when he does it.

(VLC.MD) #71

Sometimes the pioneers aren’t the most stable of characters.

(Richard Morris) #72

Much appreciated Charlie. Yes pretty much everything we do is user, and not advertiser supported.

Ketofest 2017 was kick started, and Ketofest 2018 will launch very soon and will also be kick started … and it’ll be twice the size.

The podcast was paid for by a couple of paypal donations a month, and out of our own pockets. We did that because the podcast started out as a commitment device to encourage Carl to stay on the horse. Also some of the costs are paid for from the money that Carl makes from his “Music to Flow by” app, and we’ve had a few silicon valley billionaires who saved their own lives going keto help us out.

As of September Patreon pays for the ketogenic foums (enterprise level hosted discourse is not cheap), and helps us pay for the bandwidth for all the new shows. At some point we may take money for advertising on the forum and on the shows, but only products that are beneficial for diabetics and/or weight loss - so until there is science showing a benefit there will be no exogenous ketones.

You can see the people who pay for this forum … Like @charlz they have the patreon badge on their profile

And if you want to be part of that, you can click on that Badge and go to patreon.2keto.com.

(ianrobo) #73

been thinking about Jimmy today listening to the latest LLVC podcast and I wondered if 1) should comment publically and 2) is it for here.

However never been shy to put forward an idea and he is a public figure. I have a feeling something has happened, remeber the Keto Cure book with Adam Nally, what has happened to it ? it is due for release next Feb but has been delayed a lot, legal trouble ?

https://www.amazon.com/Keto-Cure-Dietary-Solution-Optimize/dp/1628601299

I think losing his mate Adam really hit him, just after the Fung thing but I am 100% sure the two are not linked at all.

Also god knows what else has gone on but the amount of vitriol on line Jimmy has received and he now puts into talks is disgusting and trust me I know about depression etc.

Also I think the Keto market is now saturated and this is where some of you may disagree. He was the leader of the pack, he introduced the many people to us, without Jimmy I would never have come across Tim Noakes for example. Now there are so many outlets and resources. In my own podcast list I have dropped Keto evanagilst stuff as it became very repetitive, sorry to say. I now know the science so I kept Keto talk, obviously 2KD and some endurance pods but the rest are saying the same things with the same people.

This adds in the pressure in the money you make was from being Unique. Many others have other jobs etc Jimmy does not. I bet the Ketotalk downloads have dropped a lot for example as him and Nally were a special partnership.

@richard you guys are going to have to periodically update the badge with your “new” faces as you lose weight.

(Richard Morris) #76

In case you were wondering how to get suspended from the Ketogenic forums. The user who just created a throwaway account to take a few cheap shots at Jimmy Moore for not losing weight … just managed to get himself suspended permanently.

Thanks to everyone who flagged the post,

(ianrobo) #77

I can still the post as hidden content though ?

(Tim) #78

I know it’s been said before but the fact that this type of post is so rare on an internet forum is very refreshing. Many thanks to you and @carl for all the hard work that obviously went into making this site a place where people want to return again and again.

(Tim) #79

Sorry, I can’t forget to thank all the admins, without whom a friendly environment like this would not be possible.

(Richard Morris) #80

Yeah we couldn’t do this without our admins, and forum members willing to flag posts.

(Hal) #81

I will always appreciate Jimmy Moore for his work, which started me on my journey. I am from the southern u.s. as well, and I understand Jimmy. He is obviously a devoted (protestant) Christian, and as such felt obligatory to protest Dr. Fung’s and Megan’s use of (well placed) profanity. I’m pretty sure Dr. Fung is Candian/Catholic so being castigated by an American/ Protestant may not have been fun for him.
I still listen to Jimmy, but I cringe when he talks over guests and interjects jokes too much. He’s doing better and it behooves us all in the low-carb/keto community to try and have a big tent mentality. He is still a big force and if he can achieve his weight loss and body goals he will be even more effective for the low carb cause.

As I spend a lot of time in the car hauling kids, I play many podcasts. I am always looking for new material. I have never minded Jimmy and as I said above, there are some commentators who if left to their own devices would be too dull and confusing to listen to but Jimmy has a gift for highlighting why they are significant to us as lay people on the journey.

I came here through Fung not the other way around. So initially had no idea who Jimmy was except as Fung’s co author.

I recently started listening to some of the classic LLVLC podcasts and they are great. Most of the information from 2012 and 2014 is still quite relevant and presented by people I may never have otherwise heard about

(Mike Glasbrener) #83

This thread makes me sad. I appreciate the entire community and am able to select sources that deliver the content to my tastes.

I truly do not remember how I found the various sources nor do I care to really go dig up those histrorionics. I am an engineer and enjoy deep dives into technical content. I very much enjoy the dudes and Fung/Megan. I have started following Noakes, Teicholz, Fettke, Feldman, Attia and Naiman. Early in my journey I really enjoyed every dude podcast and voraciously consumed them all. Once I got current I branched out. Jimmy’s was one I listened to a bit however his style wasn’t to my tastes so my appetite for his podcasts waned. I love the Fung/ADM podcast style. I also listen to Ketogeek, Stem and several others.

When people get heavy handed about hawking their products it turns me off. Keto and weight loss really require none of it. This as the dudes have pointed out make getting the message to people more difficult because there’s no “big money” to be made directly. However, the health savings will be enormous and to the detriment of many powerful interests.

Lastly, no one has a monopoly on disseminating information. In the engineering world you constantly improve and adapt to conditions. I wish Jimmy all the best and hope he’s able to address his market w/o any vitriol.

(Mike Glasbrener) #84

Yay! Jimmy and Jason are working together again! This makes me happy! Fractures among the community risk special interest exploits and confusion among people new to the community!

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/the-llvlc-show-episode-1380-dr-jason-fung-progresses-from-unlocking-the-obesity-code-to-diabetes-in-latest-book/28722

(Paula Green) #85

Thanks for posting this - I’d stopped listening to this podcast but this sounds good.

Also really enjoying Jimmy’s new podcast The Ketohacking MD.

(ianrobo) #86

Just listened to it and no animosity there and a shout out for @carl and the obesity podcast, lovely to hear and just before that heard Adam Nally again :+1:

(Edith) #87

I used to listen to Keto Talk, but I didn’t like it nearly as much once Dr. Adam Nalley (or is that Nally?) left. How is the new one: the Ketohacking MD?