What happened with Jimmy Moore at the weekend?

(Bart) #9

He no longer is the only show in town so people have options now. When you make something your business, when you make a living from it not just do it for fun there may be a time that you have to change in order to survive. Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos really do not need Jimmy Moore in order to have a successful podcast. If they did not enjoy working with him, then why do it.

(Crow T. Robot) #11

I donā€™t think thereā€™s anything anyone can tell you that will change your mind. You either like his style or you donā€™t (or you donā€™t care). I mostly donā€™t care. If I let myself get upset with things that annoy me, Iā€™d be miserable. I myself donā€™t much like his on air personality, but he seems like a good guy and deserves a lot of credit for keeping the Low-Carb fires burning during the Atkins backlash. He gets a lot of good guests, and even though he talks over his guests and canā€™t seem to let someone else be the ā€œstarā€, itā€™s still worth listening to for the information. Thatā€™s about all I can say.

As for Fasting Talk, if he refused to respond to complaints, then he made his own bed. Itā€™s all well and good for him, heā€™s just a guy with a podcast. Jason and Megan are health care professionals who need to be taken seriously. I just read his apology and it was a good one. Good on him for that. I still donā€™t know what exactly he was apologizing for ā€“ maybe the original Facebook post that likely turned some of his more passionate followers against Jason and Megan, but Iā€™m speculating.

(Jane Reed) #12

When Jason and Megan clean up their potty-mouths, they can come over to the ā€œtaken seriouslyā€ side.

I never much cared for Jimmyā€™s silliness but this is a case of the pot calling the kettle black

(ianrobo) #13

I will have to say this. I like what Jason Fung says but I think he has an issue with how he says it.

The problem is now everyone is seeing podcasts as money generators we get this kind of thing. It is no coincidence they claim recording takes so long and yet will set up one directly linked to their business, everyone is on the same page here.

@canketo there is a thread on here with all available podcasts and the only way of knowing what one is right for you is to try them out. I always want the information so have about 40 feeds onto my phone which takes some listening. The most open minds will listen to all sources then use the science and evidence to come to your own conclusions.

We as humans do not need to simply follow one person or group (though many find that easy), they do not have the monopoly on wisdom.

(Linda) #14

Iā€™m really getting into Dr Rhonda Patrick of ā€˜Found My Fitnessā€™. Quite scientific, so a bit of it goes over my head, but I really enjoy learning as much as I can.

I think youā€™d like it.

This is the forum wiki on podcasts: WIKI: Favorite Keto Related Podcasts

Thereā€™s another wiki on books: WIKI: Book Recommendations

Also read the comments because not everyone has been editing them into the wiki post at the top.

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #17

I too think he is a good guy who deserves respect. I hadnā€™t noticed him particularly talk over guests, although heā€™s always so bubbling with enthusiasm it might sound like that sometimes.
Heā€™s had some great guests over time, and Iā€™d always found him to be rather respectful of them.

I do think his ā€œKeto Talkā€ one can be a little self-indulgent sometimes, but is still worth listening to.

I have no idea what the problem was between him and Dr. Fung and Megan Ramos and I guess Iā€™ll never find out now, but itā€™s not really important in the grand scheme of things.

(Jane Reed) #18

I want to say something about website and podcast advertising.

Jimmy and others have been criticized for this and I canā€™t, for the life of me, understand why. When you attempt to upgrade your website and the sound quality of your podcast, being a neophyte in each field, you put in tremendous amounts of time and money. At some point, like Jimmy, you may realize that the time you wish to spend at publicizing your message canā€™t be balanced with a regular job. You have to accept ads if you want to keep on.

I was listening to Jimmyā€™s podcasts many years ago and the sound quality was poor. His blog posts and website were amateurish. Now, his written and audio publications are quite professional. For us now-sophisticated web users, who despise cheesy efforts, his publications are up to our standards. This all comes at a cost. Obviously, Jimmy decided to take the plunge and try to wrest his living from the ads he could carry while doing yeomanā€™s work in the low carb field.

I would like it if @carl and @richard would, in a post completely separate from this thread, let us know how much time and money they spend on their podcast, blog posts, and this forum. Or, if not personal to them, a general description of these costs that bloggers and podcasters face. Jimmy, and all those like him who have dedicated so much that has been to our advantage, without cost to us, should never be dissed for taking advertising. Someone on this forum did that and it was just wrong.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #19

Never at the level that @carl does it, but Iā€™ve hosted a podcast, produced screencasts, and Iā€™ve blogged for many years.

All are time-consuming in their own way, particularly if you are looking to produce a quality product. For some of us, that amounts to a labor of love, and/or a means of helping market our brand or our business, and as such we donā€™t necessarily try to directly monetize that effort. But it doesnā€™t make it any less time-consuming.

So I agree completely that complaining about advertising in podcasts is counter-productive. Those who do a good job, and build a sufficient following to be attractive to advertisers should not have to feel bad about using ads. Theyā€™re simply recouping some of the investments theyā€™ve made.

Agreed! We all deserve to make a living.

And not only that, anyone who doesnā€™t care to listen to the ads can simply fast forward past them, so I donā€™t get why the complaints.

(ianrobo) #23

of course if adverts are such a problem can fast forward them ?

If not for Jimmy I would never have heard of Ketonix and that really helps me

I was responding to @devhammer who I believe was responding to @Buttonwillowā€™s general comments. :slight_smile:

Heā€™s had multiple podcasts, so not sure which one/s youā€™ve listened to. There are some 1200+ episodes of LLVLC out there, which i enjoy browsing through the archives because he interviews many interesting low carb and keto advocates. Along those lines, there is some good stuff in Ask the Low Carb Experts.

(James storie) #28

The main thing that makes Jimmy so popular among ketonians is the fact that heā€™s been doing podcast longer than anyone else in the industry. Also, his sense of humor aside, he always has quality content. A lot of the people who are successful in the keto/low carb world owe him for the recognition.

(Richard Morris) #29

Not to be pedantic ā€¦ but @carl has been podcasting since before there were podcasts. I believe 4 years before Jimmy first began to podcast.

Jimmy has earned a special place in the low carbohydrate community because he was itā€™s primary healthcare consumer voice for a long time.

(James storie) #30

You got me there, I forgot about @carlā€™s other podcast!

(ianrobo) #31

The industry as you say is the health industry, of course Tech geeks being doing it longer :slight_smile:

(Jason Cordier) #32

Here clearer details to follow what happened for one side. There is a bit of Jimmy hate going on by fans, but I posted so you could see Jason and Meganā€™s explanation of what happened from their perspective.

(KayCee) #33

Thank you

(Karen Parrott) #34

I see Jimmy Moore as a community ā€œconnectorā€. He has the social connectors to key players in the field. That brings immense value to the community so that key social and science work can move forward faster, to help more people.

That being said, as a lay person who had 40 years of prior obese, overweight and binge eating, I need to take my key and core advise at a personal level 1:1 from others who were obese as children and are long term weight maintainers >2 years due to weight maintenance requirements and the stone cold data facts that somewhere between 2-40% of folks relapse.

Hereā€™s my 2 cents and soap box-IMO.
We are smart people with almost too much advice paired without the optimal level of critical thinking, lab testing, targeted group support, and science. The Art and Science of Weight Maintenance is still developing. Me included 5.5 years out.

Itā€™s truly my hope that we can grow more individuals and groups based around Weight Maintenance and LCHF/Keto. Surely Iā€™m not the only one who doesnā€™t have health when they donā€™t have a normal range BMI.

A good part of it has to do with my genetics (FTO/TD2 and ghrelin genes ) , height (being short) and what I consider food addiction. My joints ache and Iā€™m in tears when I regain. I deserve better.

Hereā€™s to focusing on the strengths we all bring to the community and to leaving the differences behind us. Jimmy brings connection to the community. Thatā€™s valuable. Growth requires change. We can expect to see experts connect and disconnect based on many factors. Needs, key learning changes, new research, new connections, better fits within the community.

I started in 2011, late and have totally changed up who I learn from and who I had to stop following because I would start to binge eat, even in this community. We can and will learn and grow. Bring the social Art. Bring grace and social intelligence.

Take what works, move along until the whole puzzle fits for you. Be ready to change up- this group or individuals.

When you lose weight and maintain you will become much hated by most, loved by a few. Weird but true. Nobody wants to hear what worked or do the work or accept your answer may be 5-10 years down the road.