What glucose readings are too low while fasting?

(Liam) #1

I’ve been monitoring my glucose and Ketone levels during this fast for the first time and just got a reading of 30 for glucose. Then while listening to the two keto dudes podcast they talk about glucose levels going to low during a fast but they don’t specify what that levels are. Anybody know? I also had a 3.2 level for ketones

I’ve heard Dom D’Agostino talk about glucose readings in the 30s while fasting. I think when your ketones are high, the usual sugar ranges don’t really apply.
But- wow, that’s pretty low. How do you feel?

(Liam) #3

hi! i have the WORST brain fog, it took me over a minute to add 15+5+4 today as an example, I have been hungry until I checked out Richards post calculating the amount of fat I should be eating while fasting (that I dont totally understand) … been feeling pretty weak although I DID play ice hockey today, which is a miracle to me, anyway, dealing with a lot of feelings of deprivation and feeling sorry for myself lol, trying to be positive, but this is my weekend and would much rather eat and celebrate ha

(Rick) #4

Have you been keeping your electrolytes up? I found taking in electrolytes made my brain fog go away. BUT - if you start breaking out in a heavy sweat, getting shaky, you MUST take in some glucose to stave off the hypoglycemia. I was there two weeks ago and was close to slipping into a coma ( prior to going into ketosis).
Electrolytes!!!

(Liam) #5

Hi thanks I’ve been taking the lite salt and pink Himalayan salt and magnesium but is there anything else you’d recommend? Thanks

(Rick) #6

That’s pretty much what I take. Try upping your intake, see if that helps. I found I wasn’t taking enough, especially magnesium and sodium. I make a solution of pink salt, magnesium citrate (2 tsp) and 3 oz aloe vera juice and fill with water to 1 gallon. I drink this at about 16 oz per day. I get my potassium from my prescription potassium citrate (I have an issue with kidney stones because of low citrate in my system). Hope this helps!

Over a minute to add 3 numbers? Blood sugar of 30? I’d be breaking my fast immediately.

(Liam) #8

Thanks man

Do you think you are fat adapted? My blood glucose dropped to the mid 50’s when I was fasting last month but I felt fine because my ketones were over 5 mmol. If my boood sugar was in yhe 30’s and I didn’t feel well I’d be breaking that fast ASAP. To me that seems scary and mentally I’d crack in no time. Once you do a few more fasts and have a better sample size you might be ok with those numbers but until you safely repeat those numbers a few times I’d be careful.

(Liam) #10

Nah just read 57 now and 6.5 ketones

That seems a lot better, sounds like your liver kicked the ketone production into high gear.

(Liam) #12

Yeah I probably started this post prematurely but when I saw the 35 and then listened to the 2ketodudes podcast where they said you can get into trouble with really low glucose levels I sort of panicked LOL

(Sheri Knauer) #13

Dont force a fast. If you are not feeling well, then its time to end the fast. Keep something on hand that you can quickly eat without having to prep. When I was trying longer fasts (I was never very good at the longer fasts but do IF just about every day) I would carry some macadamia nuts or olives (or both) around with me just in case I needed to break the fast and I wasn’t home. Listen to your body. You can always try an extended fast again in a few days.

(Liam) #14

thanks after discovering the calculator Richard put togethere from why is fasting harder for some people than others I have been doing pretty good, so technically I’m not fasting in the strictest sense, having a few avocados, some heavy cream, coconut oil, grass fed butter throughout the day totally 166g as per the calculator for me

(Liam) #15

todays readings low again:

740am - glucose 41, ketones 5.8
1250pm - glucose 37, ketones 4.8
7pm - glucose 39, ketones 6.8

feeling pretty weak, tomorrow 6pm I get to eat, can’t wait lol