What Foods You Would Never Eat Pre-Keto

food

(Todd Batitis) #1

So my wife and I were talking the other day about things I would not eat in the past. She used to always tease me about not eating white foods (sour cream, mayo, cream cheese, ranch dressing, etc.) and used to make fun of me for being a “baby” when it comes to fat on meat and how I would trim it all off and be friends with the dogs. :slight_smile:

Since going keto, some of that stuff has changed LOL.

Avocado was always a no-go for me. They looked like hard boiled egg yolks and I am not a fan of those so why would avocado be any different? And guacamole? Um, that looks like an avocado after it came out the end of a newborn baby so that is not a food I am eating!

I kept hearing about how great they were for you on keto though and finally broke down and tried a slice at Sizzler with some oil and salt on it…meh. Bought a couple and made myself eat a half of one (same prep) a couple days in a row with my omelet and had resigned myself to it being something I was going to just have to endure and choke them down for me because they were good for me. My loving wife suggested “You might actually like them in guacamole though, it is worth a try.” BINGO!!! LOVE guacamole. I do 20:4 IF and when I get home around 2:30pm each day that is my normal go too…28g of pork rinds and a 71g single serve guac from Costco. :slight_smile:

Another one for me… I love bacon, always have. Seriously, it is the one food that would keep me from being a vegetarian but PORK BELLY? Um, that is just SUPER fatty bacon and I cook my bacon down pretty good and pick the leanest looking slices. Giant cubes of fat? No thanks.

Again, I keep hearing about it on the 2KD podcast as I go back through all the episodes. Hell, Carl even did like a month of nothing but LOL. I couldn’t imagine it. After not having any luck finding a butcher that had a SMALL amount to try, I told the wife to pick up a pack from Costco a couple weeks ago when I was doing 12 hour shifts all week and couldn’t go with her. I came home that night to nice cubes that had been nothing but Montreal Seasoning and around 45 minutes in the toaster oven (we lack a functioning real oven). It was salty and crispy on the outside and the fat wasn’t grossing me out… OMQ I LOVE PORK BELLY and it has such a great fat to protein ratio which was something I was struggling with since most of my fat came with higher protein numbers.

Now mind you, she tried to do it in a crock pot that she put brussel sprouts in the bottom of, added a little vinegar and a tiny bit of sauerkraut we had left over along with some chili powder on the belly and that wasn’t a winner. Texture was NOT a Todd Thing… a few minutes in the frying pan though and it was good to go!

So what foods do you eat NOW that you never thought you would have. I know that for many, it might simply be a switch from low fat foods because that is what we were “supposed to be” eating but more specifically is what I was thinking. :slight_smile:

I look forward to seeing some things… maybe even some things I might be willing to try. Hell, I gave poke’ (salmon and ahi) a try the last time we went to the buffet (still a no go) but who knows what might get me. :slight_smile:

Believe it or not: FAT!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

The little pieces left in the pan after cooking bacon. Spoonfuls of runoff from baked meatloaf. Fat and juice. I ate liverwurst as a kid but never would have as an adult till now.

Coconut oil.

(Allie) #4

Pre-keto for me, well I’d never eat sugar :joy:
I think this is why I never had keto flu or any other withdrawal type symptoms.

(Todd Batitis) #5

My mom would buy Braunschweiger when I was younger and we would eat it on sandwiches with cheese and Miracle Whip but as I got older I didn’t like it. My wife loves it but due to her high iron levels (genetic) she doesn’t eat it anymore.

I might have to give that a try again.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #6

Mustard for us. My wife is 2nd generation German American. I mentioned liverwurst and she got some the same day. It did not last long. She puts mustard on hers as well. Now if I can just get her to go keto.

(Omar) #7

deleted

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

I never consumed coconut oil before going keto. I liked coconut just fine, but eat/drink the oil, no way. Now, I dream up new ways to use it all the time and cream it with HWC to add to special cups of keto coffee. In fact, I am attempting to cut back on using it, because my genes are not the best at using it. I need more omega 3, poly/mono oils to keep my genes happy.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

Saving and cooking with bacon grease. My granny used to keep a coffee mug of bacon grease on the stove and it gagged me. I am saving $ now that I am using my drippings, although I keep mine in a sealed jar in the fridge…sorry granny.

(Brian) #10

Depends on how far pre-keto. I went through some changes before I ever got to keto.

Since I grew up vegetarian and even doubled down to vegan before I stopped that insanity, I missed out on some really good salmon patties my mother-in-law made. She passed before I came to my senses and I never got to taste her salmon patties. I’m told they were second to none.

Like Omar, coffee was something I didn’t discover I liked until I was nearly 50 years old. I had always though I didn’t like it, until I got greedy when the coffee was free with breakfast and juice was an extra $2. With lots of cream and a little sweetener, dang, good stuff! (I just have to watch the caffeine cause I get kinda jittery if I have too much.)

I never thought I liked the taste of beef for all of those years. And then, after going keto, I discovered what a really good hamburger tastes like. DANG!!! I love beef!! And bison!!

Most of the stuff like avocado, real butter, real cream, coconut oil, that kind of stuff, I used before going keto so none of that was new. Learning about more keto friendly flours and sweeteners was a bit of a learning curve but very doable for most stuff when I want it. My tastes are changing such that I don’t need much for keto sweets anymore. Never did go nuts with the fat bombs. And never felt the need to to the MCT oil. I just eat real food for the most part anymore.

(Todd Batitis) #11

[quote=“collaroygal, post:8, topic:64314, full:true”]I need more omega 3, poly/mono oils to keep my genes happy.
[/quote]

LOTS of people do. :slight_smile: I had my Omega 3:Omega 6 ratio checked shortly after I started all of this. They say the optimal ratio for 3:6 should be at least 1:1 and up to 4:1 but that most people eating western diets can be up to 1:15 due to all of the soybean oil (and other seed oils) and such that is used in so much stuff that are high Omega 6. I was not shocked I came back at 1:10.5 but I am working on that with active choices in food and taking krill oil and wild Alaskan salmon oil. :slight_smile:

(Todd Batitis) #12

LOL, yep, for me it was always drained and then tossed if the wife didn’t give it to the dogs. Now that stuff is like gold to me and I am actually contacting butchers to get pork and beef fat to render down. :slight_smile:

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #13

Absolutely nothing!

I think one of the reasons I’ve adjusted to a keto lifestyle is the fact that there is very, very little that I didn’t like to eat.

Probably explains my starting weight! :joy:

Going keto for me was more about removing foods than adding new. It made the transition pretty easy.

(Brian) #14

I’ve seen other people say similar things. It may be that is the reason keto was pretty easy for me to jump onboard with, too.

I really feel sorry for someone who comes from a background like raw vegan or fruitarian and think they’re gonna jump in with both feet to the carnivore diet. Yikes.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #15

I think the transition phase is what makes or breaks it for a lot of folks. I see so many threads about missing certain foods or not liking or not able to use others. I’m thankful that for every food I cannot use or don’t like, there’s loads of good options.

(Todd Batitis) #16

I can only speak for myself on this but for me I truly believe that starting off LCHP helped with the initial stages because I was already working on lowering or eliminating my consumption of some of the high carb stuff. As a result, eliminating even more was a bit easier than going from eating whatever I wanted, 10,000-15,000 calories a day of primarily junk food full of carbs and sugar to going to keto. It also helped that this fact meant we were already starting some of the swaps like cauliflower instead of rice and such.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #17

Yep, I think you were through the toughest transition already, being lchp. I was expecting a bit tougher path, as I was still eating pasta and rice and potato. I really thought I’d miss pizza more, but 5 months in and I still haven’t made a keto pizza…despite how awesome they look. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Karen) #18

High fat foods like heavy whipping cream poured into coffee. Limited nuts. I trimmed all the fat off meats.

(Kristin) #19

There are a lot of foods I didn’t eat before keto: hwc; fatty & salty meats such as genoa, prosciutto, mortadella; cooking with lard or ghee; olives and pickled veggies (which I still don’t like much but keep trying); cream cheese; smoked salmon (always ate it baked previously); macadamia nuts (how did I miss that one!); pink Himalayan salt; avocado oil; and more.

I’m in love with hwc. Always had my coffee black before. Now have to have hwc in it…and with the occasional berries… and with unsweetened almond milk…

(Daisy) #20

Fat on meat, coconut, avocado (still don’t like it much), mayo, cream cheese or butter by itself, zucchini, pork rinds, chicken thighs. I tried cauliflower even, but still didn’t like it. I had never tried any sweetener other than sugar and no flour other than white.