What does Fat Adaptation mean to you?

I thought insulin sensitivity had nothing to do with letting fat out and everything to do with letting fat in the cells.

People suffering with insulin resistance can be fat adapted.

On the contrary, if one is fat adapted, one’s probably also more insulin resistant (physiological insulin resistance and all that jazz).

Did I get it wrong?

Fat adaptation to me translated as not being hungry.

But to be fair, I was never the type that felt hunger much. I have always been a OMAD kind of person, since young, even when high carb, low fat.

(Bob M) #43

It’s a bit more complex than that. Here’s a Volek and Phinney study:

Did the low carb (LC) folks oxidize some carbs? Yes. But the HC (high carb) folks were many times higher in oxidation rate for carbs, and had much less fat oxidation.

I have stopped eating around 7:30 pm yesterday.

I haven’t touched one calory since.

It’s now 5:25 PM on the following day. I am not hungry. I didn’t even think of eating all day. I will eat tonight when I get home.

Whilst the idea of eating a good dinner when I get home is pleasant, I am not “counting the minutes”. I am not rushing home, either. I will eat when it’s time to eat.

This, to me, is fat adaptation.

(Bob M) #45

Oh yeah, this is the study that shows the HC people…are producing ketones. Not to the same extent as the LC, but I didn’t think we’d see any ketones.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

Insulin sensitivity and resistance have to do with how much insulin it takes to remove excess glucose from the blood stream. There is a threshold above which insulin promotes fat storage. It instructs the liver to turn excess glucose into fatty acids and instructs adipocytes to store them. Below that threshold, insulin instructs adipocytes to store fats while we are eating, and then allows them to release fats to feed the body between meals.

Absolutely. And someone eating a ketogenic diet is highly likely to become more insulin-sensitive over time.

Not true. A better name for so-called “physiological insulin-resistance” is “adaptative glucose and ketone sparing,” because it’s not insulin-resistance. It is a condition in which the skeletal muscles are taking up fatty acids to metabolise and refusing to take up glucose or ketones, so as to spare them for the cells that need them.

For example, our red blood corpuscles can metabolise only glucose, since they lack mitochondria. The brain has a certain minimum need for glucose, but it prefers to use ketones when it can get them. If there’s blockage in the coronary arteries, the heart prefers ketones, because they can be metabolised using less oxygen (because they are partially-metabolised fatty acids to begin with). And so forth.

In adaptative glucose-sparing, the muscles are still perfectly able to take in glucose and glycogen when there is a need for explosive performance. So insulin-resistance doesn’t figure into this scenario at all.

(Brian) #47

I envy you in that regard. :frowning:

I’ve been keto / very low-carb for around 7 years now. I’ve had fairly long periods of time without sweets. Some say that their desire for them goes away after a time. For me, it doesn’t happen, I still crave them. Doesn’t mean I give in and eat / drink all those sweet things, just that the desire never leaves.

Some say similar things about cigarettes, that after a few weeks or months, it becomes undesirable / repulsive. I had a “grandfather” type growing up that always had a toothpick in his mouth. We asked him why. He had smoked when he was younger but quit. It was 20 years, and no cheating. He said the desire never left.

I guess it’s kind of an individual thing. As far as the sugar, we just don’t have it around. If it’s not here, we can’t pig out on it.

(Alec) #48

I am not disputing that a runner will use glucose…. But they do not need to ingest it. If you are well fat adapted, you maximise your use of fatty acids, and the body makes whatever glucose it needs to fuel the running effort as required. Fat adaptation minimises how much glucose the body needs to make because it maximises the use of fat.

So that is an interesting additional implication of fat adaptation… your body becomes more efficient at making its own glucose.

(Geoffrey) #49

It’s quite possible that the difference is you are keto and I am carnivore. I have lost all desire for sweets and carbs.

Now that I can totally relate to. I dipped snuff for 33 years. One can of Copenhagen every day. The nicotine level In one can of Copenhagen is equivalent to about 166 cigarettes or so I was told by the clinic that helped me quit. They said that for me to give up the snuff would be like a cocaine addict getting clean.
That was 17 years ago and I’ve been clean ever since but I have the toothpick habit now as well. Never without them.
My wife complained to me that she thought it was ridiculous that I just swapped one habit for another but I explained to her that I didn’t give up a habit, I gave up an addiction and which would she rather have me do. She left me alone after that.

(Brian) #50

I hadn’t thought much about that. It’s possible.

I’ve not gone carnivore completely. Keto is pretty easy but carnivore would get me a lot more backlash at home. We grow produce for the farmers market. Can’t say the time won’t come but for now, I pretty much settle for a totally carnivore meal here and there.

(icky) #51

I’m interested in the science of this stuff but am still struggling to understand some of the basics. Could you explain (like I’m a bright 10 year old, or a dumb 20 year old :smile: ) how blood lactate levels relate to all of this. I don’t even know what they signify or why they go up or any of that…
Thanks! :relaxed:

(icky) #52

Yeah. I’m a sugar/ carb addict too and will be for life. I can go without the carbs and not feel bad about it… But I’m never not going to love them… Fresh bread, sourdough bread, Italian pasta, doughnuts, cookies, cakes, chocolate, ice-cream, tiramisu… There are so many amazing carb meals out there - especially if they’re high-quality and well made… My system is always gonna feel some longing for that stuff…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #53

People always need to consider the alternative.

A woman at a party supposedly said to Bess Truman, “I wish you could get your husband to stop saying ‘manure’ all the time.” To which the First Lady is supposed to have replied, “My dear, you have no idea how hard it was to get him to start saying it.”

(Geoffrey) #54

That’s a good one. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would expect higher rates of fat oxidation during exercise and, thus, a greater capacity to oxidize fat at higher exercise intensities in keto and fat-adapted athletes up to a point. Keep in mind that these were done at submaximal or graded intensities.
What about Fat Max? It is the intensity of the exercise where there is maximal utilization of lipids as fuel and is correlated with aerobic threshold.
In contrast to CHO oxidation, which increases together with the work rate, the absolute fat oxidation rate declines at high-intensity exercises.

The items I left in the quote are very great when they are keto - and ice cream easily can become carnivore (I make a good one. and whenever I am on carnivore, I lose interest in ice cream… unfair :smiley: I don’t mind, actually, I still enjoy other desserts)… I am sure some people - for some reason - loves the carby version only but I don’t lie when I say I dislike carby ice cream and I don’t see the point of adding much carbs to mine, no matter what my actual daily diet is. I may have a high-carb day, I still wouldn’t make carby ice cream. And the store-bought stuff is some low-fat watery thing compared to my cream/yolk wonderfulness (it still may be tasty in its super sugary subpar way but not as good). I am lucky, I didn’t need to train myself to feel like this. Or to strongly prefer breadless sandwiches, I never liked the ones with bread (with a very few exceptions). That just diluted the tastiness and made the sandwich not satiating.

Pasta can’t be replaced though. I mean, it won’t be similar. It never was a problem for me, I don’t need it for my life and I have some great replacement (egg) but if I happen to want the old feeling, it only works with some very eggy pasta (our traditional pasta doesn’t use water, just eggs). Not the best food I can eat so I skip it happily. I just don’t eat most of my old favs, there is no problem with it, I eat way better food now.

Keto bread isn’t similar to some good carby bread either. Not for me. But my carnivore buns make the best sandwiches, I am lucky :smiley: I just need to bake it all the time :smiley: Well, just every second day but still…

I made tiramisu before my carnivore November. Most of it is some carnivore ingredient but still needs something extra… But the creamy wonderfulness, that’s all the eggs and mascarpone. I just didn’t feel it’s the full feeling and anyway, I shared it with my SO. It easily fits keto though. When I have erythritol. I run out months ago and well, my chosen woe is carnivore, I just didn’t buy it again. If I am off carnivore, I just use something way tastier like xylitol. Or nothing, it happens to me nowadays. I use lactose to make my desserts (kinda) sweet :slight_smile: Carnivore did things to me. I have changed.

Another possible difference between us that I don’t care how many how wonderful carby dishes are out there. Maybe you don’t care about that either just already very well KNOW and love some items and can’t forget about them. I stopped eating very many of my big favs when I went low-carb. And I didn’t miss them or just a few very very occasionally (and then I ate them if it was a possibility, I don’t resist temptation). I just got new, better favs, good change! :slight_smile:
If I can’t forget something carby (maybe because I don’t have a similar item and I make the carby one every week), that’s bad and I need to train myself out of the desire and it takes years for someone like me.

I will find most of those old favs tasty all my life, possibly (these things didn’t change much for me. many people says very different things, their actual taste changes a lot!) - but I don’t want them anymore. Most of them. But sometimes I don’t want ANY carbs at all. I have this in this month, all the time. No baby desire, nothing at all. Weird, I never had it THIS good. But as it was said, carnivore is different from keto. It’s individual, of course but carnivore may make carby cravings/desires go away. Not after weeks, pretty much right away. I had it on keto sometimes, regarding some problem item but carnivore was WAY more effective. I never did carnivore for long but many did and some are simply free from carb cravings and any such temptation while others don’t fully lose that.
I don’t crave carbs on carnivore but now it’s deeper. I lost all interest in non-animal carbs. Except tea but that’s minimal carbs. It’s a bit weird as I am not like this normally.

(Bob M) #57

I can honestly say that I have never run out of energy, and I do many body weight exercises to failure. 90 + minutes of them.

Now, for a true athlete (not me) trying to beat other world-class athletes, would the “lack” of fat oxidation at higher intensities be a problem? Maybe. Certainly I have seen that argument.

But for 99.9999999999999 % of people, it’s immaterial.

So then you do run out of energy “Failure”.

(Philip H Kern) #60

Maybe you’re trying to be funny. If that’s the case, I apologise. But energy and weight exercise failure have little in common. As a 60 year old cyclist, I can barely do a pull up. Failure for me is 2. That has nothing to do with running out of energy. I could do my 2 and ride for 2 hours with no problem.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #61

Two for me, as well, possibly three (it’s been a while). I could usually make it to six, sometimes seven, push ups. And that is talking about from age 12 or so onwards. But I could run for miles.