What do I do with avocado oil?

I bought it on a whim. I know I can make mayo. Can I fry eggs in it? What about baking with it? Any suggestions?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

You can do whatever you want, mayo, salad dressing, fry or anything you’d do with olive oil. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #3

I use it when searing to 400F or more. Olive oil breaks down near 400F. I don’t make mayo or bake keto so can’t comment on those items.

(Justin ) #4

Frying with it is excellent because of its high heat rating.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

I totally agree about the frying, it became my go to after grape seed for stir fry oil because of the high smoking point and neutral flavor. I read a really good article about fats and keto and I can’t find it anymore :confused:, but in essence there are healthy compounds and subtle flavors in quality avocado oil that deteriorate when it’s heated or left open for a long period of time. I have gotten into coconut oil for stir frying lately. But I still fry with it sometimes.

Awesome, thanks! Looking forward to stir frying with it.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #7

@Sharon_E OMG, Don’t do it, please! Avocado oil is so light and beautiful, it demands to be consumed raw and pure on whatever you want to add oil to. For cooking and frying, etc use lard. That’s too cruel for avocado oil. :woozy_face:

When I had some I didn’t cook with it. Instead I drizzled it on the kids’ veggies at supper time.

(Jay AM) #9

I drizzle it into creamy things for an extra fat kick. I don’t particularly enjoy the flavor though.

(John) #10

When I am doing high heat searing or sauteeing, I use avocado oil. Otherwise I use extra virgin olive oil. You can use it for cooking, or any place you’d use olive oil but don’t want the olive oil flavor.

This is not food related. Avocado oil is a great moisturizer, use it on your face and body, it is fantastic.

Avocado oil is great for high-heat applications- searing and frying. For oven roasting veggies- drizzle it over the veg, season with salt/pepper, and cook. I’ve used it for years for frying eggs, too. It has a high smoke point, so it doesn’t set off the smoke alarms quite as fast as butter.

That being said, you can do high heat cooking with LIGHT or EXTRA LIGHT olive oil. The more refined an oil is, the less smoke you’ll end up with. Refining removes the impurities that cause the smoke during the heating process. The more refined the oil, the higher temperature you can apply. So, you wouldn’t want to apply high heat to Virgin olive oil, but to the extra light olive oil- you can. Butter is a no-go for high heat, but ghee or clarified butter can tolerate a higher temp, etc.
HTH.