What did you NOT eat today?

avoided
success
temptations
unhealthy

I can’t remember when my birthday became just another day of the year, but it’s been awhile. :slight_smile:

(Running from stupidity) #687

Thanks, love ya

(less is more, more or less) #688

Wow, I needed this thread yesterday. Given the time lapse, I suppose it’s providential my comments here will be more like a diary entry than a rant. Or not.

Yesterday was a meeting marathon day for myself. I work with fantastic people. I enjoy their company, their copious talent, ingenuity and creativity, Just one little problem. They love to bring in the carbs. Most days, it’s a dull roar. One fellow loves to troll my office with these “boutique” Oreo offerings. You know, Oreos are basically refined sugar, rapeseed oil, and fake flavoring so you can pretend your eating “hot and spicy cinnamon” Oreos, or whatever other diabetic-pellet-frankencookie Nabisco thinks up. Another person brings in “boutique” donuts or pastries. Some will bring in home-made baked cake or muffins. All are provocatively placed in our shared kitchen for sharing.

Well, yesterday we had a traffic jam of ALL of the above danger foods: baked cake, cookies, scones, and the boutique donuts. Our table overflowed with enough sugar and carbs to make the Domino factor in Baltimore squeal with delight. A potential vendor stopped by, with his own “gift” to the office of muffins and those thick 4” cookies. “I don’t want to sound unappreciative or ungracious, but look at our crowded table;” as I wave my hand over the carb-fest before us. “Maybe another prospect or customer will appreciate your fine gifts."

As I said this, I watched the wind fall out of his sails. I realized it was best to accept his “gift” and move on to the meeting.

Oh, the insanity of it all. We hear the daily carp from office workers about “oh I got to lose some weight. <Co-worker’s eyes dart to carb-infested table> Maybe if no one sees me eat this cookie, it means it doesn’t have any calories.”

Me: polite nod, teeth braces frenetic tongue.

Next time, show up to meeting marathon day with one of these.

This is what I’m going to start calling Oreos, from now on. :wink:

Also, I think my insulin spiked just visiting that website. :slightly_frowning_face:

So these beauties are sitting on my desk…oh so many birthday celebrations. I have another birthday dinner tonight.

I am having a rough day. My mood is in the gutter and I honestly want to eat that chocolate cake. I know it won’t taste as good as it looks or smells. I know it won’t make me feel better after I eat it. Yet the emotional cranky sugar demon inside of me wants it.

Spolier alert…I am NOT going to eat it. I just have to make another 90 minutes. I will not quit my job today, I will not quit my job today. Adulting sucks sometimea.

Amen sister :weary:

(Ashley) #693

Can’t you toss or give them away? Surely people wouldn’t be offended your not interested?

(Cindy) #694

I didn’t eat homemade cookies…cause I didn’t bake them! I wanted to, but I cooked bacon instead.

(Diane) #695

Sorry you’ve had a crappy day at work.

What an excellent response to temptation!

“Tempted?”

“No, I ate bacon.”

We had a pizza party lunch at work Friday with tons of pizza, cookies, and soda. About 4 times the practice owner came back to my grooming area to make sure I came out and ate. I was actually 17 hours into a 24 hour fast but I gave in and had two bites of pizza, crust and all and the dawdled until I was alone and then I ate the cheese off it and buried the rest of it in the trash can under a bunch of dog hair. I feel rude for not joining in but also I feel like it’s rude to guilt me into eating it when they know what I’m trying to do.

If they know, no reason to feel rude. It’s rude of them for doing what they did.

I think over time my frustration just turned to empathy, because they really have no idea. It just makes me sad.

But not what you did. That makes me glad! :+1:

(Janelle) #699

Totally understandable if you were fasting.

About once a month now, we order our favorite fully loaded pizza and bring it home. We scrape off and eat the toppings and throw out the crust. I abstain at work though.

Glad you stayed strong - there is always a steady stream of junk in our work kitchen too.

Occasionally, at work, we’ll order from a local pizza place (not a nationwide chain), and I’ll get a chief salad and small supreme pizza. Scrape the toppings off into the salad and :yum:.

All my coworkers know exactly what I’m doing too, but they just can’t seem to give up their carbs, even knowing there are alternatives. :slightly_frowning_face:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #701

I had plans to meet a new friend for coffee today, but she wanted to take me to afternoon tea, which is not just tea, it is dimsum. I’ve had two other friends take me to dimsum since I started keto. (Almost 9 years I only go 3 times I can remember and now in the last 9 months 3 invitations :expressionless:) My previous 2 times I just did the best I could, but today I was just not having it. So as politely as I could I asked if we could just get coffee instead.

Once we got to the coffee place I told my keto story, that I had done it to lose weight but that I found my mental state had improved as well, so don’t want to eat things I know are bad for my health. One great thing about Chinese people is that they value health and understand that food is medicine. So even if they don’t understand what carbs are, they never purposefullly sabotage someone’s diet. They may argue with you that you have to eat fruit. But I showed my new friend my before and after photo and that was that, no arguing. That was nice, and it is always less stressful than I think it is going to be.

I think it helps that I am a foreigner, and therefore weird anyway.

(Diane) #702

Congratulations for taking good care of yourself. Awesome job!

Dimsum good results! :slight_smile:

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #704

ba-dum-dum-CHI (rimshot)

(Janelle) #705

I’m at a fish place. I really love a lot of what they serve but I did not eat their cream cheese- filled personal loaf of bread, or their crummy “spread” (how can that be food) or anything from their massive dessert case.