What did you learn today?

i just got back from detroit, i say you must be right :neutral_face: bless canada’s health care system for real.

(Ellen) #686

I can’t “like” this answer (it’s repugnant IMO) but thank you for the info.

(Ellen) #687

I found out only recently that the US Forces recruit by offering upfront (IIRC) cash etc to poor students, that makes me feel a bit sick, and I come from a military family (am only one that hasn’t joined a branch of the Forces).

(John) #688

The grim prospect of medical costs is one of the motivators for me to try to get as healthy as a I can - losing weight, eating healthy foods, exercising. I am currently covered by an adequate plan by my employer, but that is only good until the next economic downturn that results in “downsizing.”

Though I am older than my wife by a few years, my overall health is better so I need to stay healthy and employed to take care of both of us.

(Scott) #689

The usual enticement is college tuition I think.

(Scott) #690

Maybe so but the way things are going you may want kids that can help you as you age. Just a thought but there are no guarantees.

(Ellen) #691

I could barely scrape rent with that kinda cost, are US wages either minimum wage or high wage?? I have an NHS pre-pay certificate so pay just under £11 per month which covers as many items as I need rather than paying for each item, I do remember being in Oz and having to pay almost $100 for a script (anti-d & adderall) but I’m guessing yours are much worse.

(Running from stupidity) #692

Yeah, depends if they’re on the NHS list (subsidised) or not. TBF, most are.

I coughed up $100 for one script last month - and the increased dosage gave me all sorts of issues so I didn’t even get to use them! :slight_smile:

(Ellen) #693

Again I can’t “like” this but I hope you & yours keep in good health. The company I work for has just recently given us all Bupa coverage (private health insurance) but honestly can’t see when I’d use it (only things can think of would be disallowed under the 2 year moritorium).

(Ellen) #694

This was a few years ago, no idea if on that list or not but was a shock, at the time UK prescriptions were about £6-7 per item, thankfully my “ideopathic hypersomnulism” seemed to be a symptom of my depression and travelling for a year helped alleviate it a bit so got off it, although several times since then I could def have done with it but really don’t want to go down that road again, amphetamine really isn’t the best answer to depression.

Different states have different minimum wages and costs of living. But most states are not paying their citizens living wages. In America, most people are always teetering one bad day away from either total bankruptcy or heavily indebted to the banks.

(Running from stupidity) #696

#WORKINGASINTENDED

Absolutely. Gotta keep that imperialist capitalist wheel rolling. God bless America.

(KetoQ) #698

Aging parents … its not always grandpa moving in and living in the spare bedroom and enjoying the grandkids in his “golden years.”

I have an 85 yo mother in law who has been in assisted living and dementia care for a number of years and has literally gone through hundreds of thousands of dollars. Those kinds of facilities are as much as $7,000/month. We even had her living with us for several months, hoping to extend her money, but it was too stressful of a situation, and had to place her back in assisted living. We eventually found her another place that was $4,500/month.

She is now at the end of her money. My wife and I are at the end of our wits. With people living longer than ever, it creates a whole new set of circumstances that people have to contend with. The health care system is not prepared to deal with this. Neither are many marriages.

I wouldn’t put my daughter in the situation my wife and I are in now.

(Running from stupidity) #699

And if the general populace is kept in a state of permanent concern/fear as to at least the first couple of levels of Maslow’s pyramid, they’re not going to complain too loudly or do too much to improve things for fear of losing what little they’ve got. #GOODFORBUSINESS

(John) #700

I learned today that we sure are a cheery group! :sob:

(Running from stupidity) #701

Funny way to spell “realistic.”

:smiley:

(KetoQ) #702

Well, if we were discussing the state of marijuana legalization rather than the state of US health care, you might get a tad more cheer.

Add in rich whites paying poor whites in the Wages of Whiteness so they never think to get angry over their financial situation and actually vote to change anything, with a hefty dose of blaming immigrants of color for stealing their jerbs on the side, and you’re set. #AMERICAF*CKYEAH

(Karen) #704

Think I’m over this thread… and it started so well.:slightly_frowning_face: