What did you learn today?

Honestly everything you need to know about the American Healthcare System is summarized by the fact that they’re now actually suggesting to patients that they set up gofundme pages to afford their life-saving surgeries.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #626

A fellow made the news a couple of years ago by flying to Belgium for a knee-replacement out of pocket. The cost of the entire trip—airfare, hotel, surgery, hospital stay, and all—came to a small fraction of what the cost would have been at his local hospital in the U.S.

I’m honestly surprised the insurance companies aren’t a boulder rolling down the hill trying to push keto in front of everyone, given how they would be able to earn from all the regular insurance payments and not have to fork out for treatments related to metabolic syndrome, etc. Does anyone know if that’s happening or still just a fantasy?

Without knowing, could probably have been at least business class seats and a 5* hotel as well!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #629

Since the health insurance companies all own or are owned by pharmacies, it ain’t coming from them. The life insurance companies, on the other hand, are beginning to see the light. Especially now that the life expectancy of Americans has begun to decline.

(John) #630

I learned that Benjamin Franklin knew everything we need to know about health and nutrition. Some of his quotes:

A full belly makes a dull brain.

Dine with little, sup with less,
Do better still – sleep supperless.

In general, mankind, since the improvement of cookery, eats twice as much as nature requires.

Eat to live, and not live to eat.

To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals.

Eat to please thyself, but dress to please others.

(Scott) #631

I see the biggest problems in health care as exposure to liability from the providers point of view. And the level of care and who is going to pay for it. Nothing is free and there are some really difficult decisions to be made here.

I mean I can’t speak for all Americans but I’m willing to let them take another $2.00 from my paycheck so people can get universal healthcare and don’t die from preventable diseases. Or we could trim some excess fat from our military budget. But that’s the commie in me talking.

(Laurie) #633

You’re joking, right? One of my most frequent clients used to send me manuscripts in Calibri. I tried hard not to take it personally. Yes, I could change it, but it kept reappearing here and there.

(Jane) #634

My max out of pocket annually is $3000 but some folks have $5k. And that is over and above the monthly premiums we pay whether we use our health care or not. So tack on another $3k/year.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #635

I am a human being with dignity. I am not invisible nor am I a monster.

3 days in a power chair and thousands of people act like I’m not here. They even risk being hit by my chair and they still don’t look at me. Sad.

(Karen) #636

OK that’s actually really funny! You made my day!

(Karen) #637

Thank you for John for those words of wit. I’m worn out with the healthcare discussion.

(Running from stupidity) #638

I’m as serious as bacon.

All those attempts, and I’ve finally done it! WOOHOO!

:rofl:

(Karen) #639

Today I learned…
I can type a little with my broken hand. My pinky on my left hand does not really want to press very hard on the shift. My fourth finger is struggling to reach the top numbers. But all in all it wasn’t too bad. I’m trying to get some movement before my therapy on Thursday. Earlier movement the better, I think, I hope.

I learned also…
That if you dress the dog in a knit sweater, and you leave your shoes with Velcro straps lying around, that they will stick to the underside of the dog, and get dragged about.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #640

Last night I learned the good lesson of keeping my bed covered during the day after I generously applied lip carmex before bed and laid down on a furry pillow.

Someone’s getting a new hobby:

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #641

:rofl::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

I can just picture it.

(Karen) #642

Oh my gosh that’s so funny

Wait, if I think about eating bacon every day, does that mean I’m in a serious relationship with bacon or it’s just lust?

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #644

It’s a seriously lustful relationship.