What did you learn today?

(Heather Meyer) #281

And since we are comparing… i’m one of the few % of people in the world that can get an injection in the arm or buttock or get an IV and actually taste the chemicals and plastic… Blech!!! Apparently this is actually thing, but really dont want it to be.

(Running from stupidity) #282

Synesthesia

Ewwww

Coriander is the seed, cilantro is the leaf. Y’all need to pick up more Spanish words.

(Running from stupidity) #284

Yeah, which is mostly what gets used here. Hate the stuff.

I love coriander seed but don’t much care for the leaf unless it’s in this one particular Burmese soup - no idea why I like it in that soup :thinking:

That is unfortunate!

(less is more, more or less) #287

I cannot keep up with all the posts here. Such great discussions.

Oh my. So much this. I love this sentiment.

I have a demo unit. I quite like it as well. Solid and reliable, if not too performant.

I am not a fan of either manufacturer. I’m typing on a Lenovo Yoga 1, second generation. It’s already “gone back to the shop” twice in the nearly 2 years I’ve had it. It’s got to last 4 years, as per depreciation. Before this I had an Apple MacBook. It was amazingly rugged. No repairs, though I upgraded the hard drive to an SSD. I’m the same clumsy monster I was when I had my MacBook and now Yoga. Why the switch? I learn more using Windows than a Mac as a developer, which is a bit of a backward compliment. The MacOS kernel-level integration with its BSD origins, so using the command-line in Mac (as in most Linux distros, btw) works well. Not so on Windows.

I’m not surprised by this “info free” context on FB. FB is useless for anything outside of family pictures and virtue signaling. I cannot stand all the virtue signalling there.

I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Westman on Dec 6th. He suggested that I let my salt intake go to low. Following his guidance, I’ve increased my salt. Guess what happened on the scale? Frankly, it freaked me out a little bit. I think of my charity-depletion when I read the fevered posts here; “OMG I’m up 2 POUNDS! ALL HOPE IS LOST!” I kept my personal turmoil, well, personal. Then I had the realization that my weight gain was commensurate with my increased salt intake since no other measures have increased, like my waist measurement. BTW, thanks to his suggestion, I feel much better in many little ways.

Salt is my friend.

This is so unnecessary and heart-breaking. The globe is addicted to sugar, and our global culture only serves to reinforce this. That we butcher people to follow terrible dietary advice is nuts.

@juice posted a tweet about students collaborating on a Google Doc for lecture notes. We do this at our “Drupalcon” meetups. It works great. Even with my OCD, many authors at once is surprisingly effective.

Again, @juice thanks for posting your write-up on Megan Ramos. There was a thread here, somewhere, wherein some “brave soul” was going to fast for 100 days, “just because.” I scrambled for that podcast before the thread was disabled. That Diet Doctor podcast is quite impressive, btw.

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I love this quote, too. So many people love it, that determining attribution is a discipline unto itself. Behold:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2012/04/28/shorter-letter/

They ultimately contend Blaise Pascal.

Heh. Yet, here I am, anyhow. “You mean you’re going to work like that?

Finally,

My turn

• My daughter has lost 50 pounds on a low-carb diet, which she adopted just before she left for college. Her regimen is not as strict as my adoption, may God bless her younger physiology, since she hasn’t carb-ravaged her body as I had mine. In other words, her “Freshman 15” is actually “Freshman 50” She was inspired by my success and not my lectures. I asked her to write a post for my blog. I said it will inspire others, frustrated by the failure of mainstream diet ideas. She responded that she’s been emotionally struggling with being obese her whole life. Now that she’s no longer overweight, she doesn’t want to still be publically associated with who she was, in this way. Good for her. I love her thinking.
  • I just finished The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance on Dr. Westman’s advise. I’ll be re-reading and posting much of the solid nuggets of dietary and athletic goodness therein.
  • It took me 1 hour to read the 286 fine comments here. This forum could use some Cliff notes.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #288

Seems like the volume has gone up recently and unfortunately I just added to it.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #289

Both this and last time I lost significant weight I’ve had to chastise a friend for proudly introducing me to a new friend by announcing my weight loss. Thanks for blowing my cover, pengyou*. Can’t you let someone believe I’m effortlessly svelte for 5 minutes? I usually wait 10 minutes into a friendship before saying something about it myself. But, that is, and should be, my choice.

*meaning “amigo/a”

(Karen) #290

This and have learned:
periodically get to a weight that would might be considered slim. It makes me very judgmental. This has been, in the past, because I lost weight due to calorie restriction and moving more. I just figured that everybody was needing to apply stronger will power. Now that I know that the reason I am fat it’s not necessarily about eating too much and moving less, I hope I can be less judgmental When I get to weight that is more suited to my frame.

(Central Florida Bob ) #291

Thanks! I’ll keep that around as my justification - I found their rationale believable.

(Ellen) #292

Today I re-learnt I can sort shit out rather than having the (unproductive) tantrum I want to have.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #293

Me too. I found myself saying, “Stop crying, for heaven’s sake. It will work itself out!” And then I cleaned the deck and to my surprise found one of the rehab squirrels I released last spring living in the release cage and very upset that I was using a drill next to his “house” . He threw himself off the deck and ran to the nearest tree. I reminded myself everyone’s got troubles, even a squirrel.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #294

Husbands never learn…

(Bob M) #295

Some people think cilantro is like that too. I personally love cilantro, though it can be tough to fit it in with the recipes we make. Italian parsley, on the other hand, simply adds green for me.

(Bob M) #296

I used both Vaporub and tea tree oil. They worked, but you have to watch your skin. My skin freaked out and I had to quit for quite a while.

My wife is a big fan of apple cider vinegar for things, too. I’ve used it for all kinds of stuff, and it does seem to work. For what I believe was a wart, I used vinegar and tea tree oil, and I got rid of the wart.

(Bob M) #297

Are you sure you don’t have the wrong husband?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #298

Quite sure :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Running from stupidity) #299

I’ve got the i7/16GB/256 or something. The top one, anyway. Conned it out of Adobe for a the cost of a middling i5.

:metal::metal::metal::metal::metal:

Didn’t I just read them above?

I learned that my generation might finally be the ones to kill the American healthcare system as it stands, along with Big Pharma, because we straight up by and large don’t go to the doctor unless things are really bad because we’re so broke.

Add that one to the ol’ Millennial Kill List, along with: homeownership, the diamond industry, retail, focus groups, brand loyalty, the nuclear family, sex, golf, and napkins.