What did you learn today?

BOOM!

(Running from stupidity) #148

Why do you think I’m working towards it?

Or this forum, for that matter? :wink:

(Running from stupidity) #150

Posters here are only virtual humans

(Running from stupidity) #151

I promised Eric I’d put this back up. It’s lifted from my accountability thread.

I listened the podcast mentioned above while out walking, and now I’m looking at the (very obviously not-proof-read transcript[1]) and picking out some points (which I’ve double-checked against the audio).

I’ve lightly edited it a bit for clarity. Feel free to tell me if you think I’ve misrepresented anything.

I’ll just put lines between the sections, and my (very few) words will be in italics.

But my main takeaways were:

• they recommend people fast 24-36 hours, irregularly to not get into a pattern.

• 36 hours is better than 24, and not much benefit is seen after 36 hours.

• Treat it as therapy, be that serious about it.

Your important points could well be different, of course.

So it’s a great point that magnesium if we take too much orally, it can give us some G.I. side effects like diarrhea, but our skin is actually very good absorbing magnesium, so Epson salt baths or some topical magnesium can be a great way to do it and bypass the stomach side effects.

We talk about salt being so vital for survival and we really utilize the motto that everything that is good for you, is bad for you in excess. And it’s really, really bad for you in excess and as human beings we have this drive to be excessive. This is something about fasting that’s driving me little a bit nuts when I do go on social media. If one day of fasting is good for me, then 100 days a fasting is good for me.

And I see this now all of the time and it’s really been in the last two years and it’s just so not… Everything that’s good for us is bad for us in excess. Fasting, sodium, everything… insulin is a really important hormone that we know too little of it will kill us, and too much of it will also kill us.

But we really believe that to beat insulin resistance, 24 to 36 hours of fasting is very effective, doing that intermittently. That’s all you really need and it creates a nice balance. The idea is to throw the body off, to not let the body adapt. We always tell our patients that human beings are a dumb species.

We are not a very bright species, but we’re a highly adaptable species. So if we stay in any one physiological state long enough our body is going to adapt to it and so we just want to confuse the body. And I found that we’ve been doing this now for seven years, intermittent fasting 36 hours three times a week in people, treating that like a therapy, not as a diet.

We really encourage our patients to treat it like a therapy. I made such progress of my own health for six months, because I treated fasting like it was my attendance to chemotherapy. And I wouldn’t skip a treatment of chemotherapy if my friends wanted to go for lunch. And there would be days where I wouldn’t feel good, but I’ll be okay because eventually it would lead to my inevitable great health.

And we really encourage our patients to think of it as a therapy. This isn’t a fad diet, this is a therapy they’re choosing and they don’t have to choose it. They can go to the regular route, we’re happy with that, we’re happy to provide them with education on diet and they never have to fast and that will lead to significant health improvements as well. But if they’re going to fast, they have to have the mindset that it’s a therapy and they need to be dedicated to that therapy.

And the intermittent fasting just provides that right amount of chaos for the body to prevent it from adapting, creates the right amount of life balance for the patients too. I think in 2017 we developed something called fasting burnouts that I noticed, because everyone was trying to do these five day fast, week in and week out.

So we do see that between the 24 to 36 hour mark, during one of these longer fasts and there’s good research to support it, but during the 24 to 36 hour fasts, when we do see a lot of gluconeogenesis and we do see protein breaking down. But after that 36 hours it really starts to drop, and then it stabilizes and plateaus at a really low level.

B: And so initially after the first couple days of a fast, the resting metabolic rate goes up. And then after that it seems to maybe stabilize and then come down at some point. And the question is where is that irreversible?

M: We don’t recommend these longer fasts because there’s so much unknown about that.

But even with this group of individuals we’re doing 36 hours intermittent fasting and with that you see that it’s actually boosting their metabolic rate.

(Talking about fasting-mimicking diets)

Often 24 hours doesn’t quite cut it. That extra 12 hours getting to 36 hours seems to make a real difference, a huge impact on patient outcomes.

[1] Megan has a daughter! Who checks her blood work for her! Who knew?

TIL when you see a trail of thick smoke coming out of the back of your car, it’s time to pull over, because something bad has happened to the engine.

(Karen) #153

You know you can take free in MIT courses online. Of course you can’t get credit but isn’t it all about the education

When will you learn what it costs? :tired_face:

That’s a good idea. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately it was a BMW (my BIL’s) :slight_smile: so probably no less than $7,000. Not worth fixing.

Ouch :face_with_head_bandage:

(Carl Keller) #158

Bad head gasket? This happened to me…

All I know is the mechanic opened the hood and closed it again, because they knew the engine would have to be replaced.

He said, even if you could find a good engine from a salvage yard, it still wouldn’t be cheap.

Backstory: This car belongs to my brother-in-law. He lives down state, but his job brings him here about one week every month, and this car was for driving around town while he was here. I had permission to drive it, but I still rarely did. I was only driving it, because there was the possibility of snow today. No matter, the engine had other plans.

I refuse to feel guilty for it. The way I see it, I just saved him three hours being stranding, while waiting on a tow truck, the next time he was in town and should be working.

He can thank me later. :wink:

(Carl Keller) #160

Yeah that’s much worse than a head gasket. RIP engine.

Not a Catholic are ya Darren :wink::rofl:

Not even close. :wink:

I’ll feel the guilt for you then - it’ll be nice to have a reason :grin:

LOL! :rofl: :laughing:

I’m sure my BIL will appreciate it.

(Laurie) #165

I’m real. Anyone else?

(Running from stupidity) #166

Yeah, well, you WOULD say that if your programming told you to.