What did you Keto today?

It is always a good thing to have a cheesecake expert on board. Yay.

(Peter Bursky) #736

Thanx Rich for your insight!

I have to admin, at some points of the process i was doubting if all this is worth the hassle. (it was! :slight_smile: )

A few questions though, to clarify the info you provided.
You mention you use a 12" cake pan, e.g. no holes, no risk of water getting in to the pan, no hassle with tinfoil, etc. Did i get that right?
And than you say you put a towel in a 14" pan, put the 12" pan with the cake in to the bigger pan, and than fill the bigger pan with water?

Another question - how do you take the cheesecake out once it’s all ready and cooled? Obviously, with the spring pan it was a simple matter of taking it of…

I’ll try the lower temperatures next time, cook time are more less the same, and i’ll also try to let it cool with the oven door closed instead of crack opened to 1 inch. You were right with the cake rising high when baked on high temperature - i went up really high, and then dropped when it cooled down. I don’t mind the slightly brown-ish top, tbh.

I’ll definitely try again, will report how that goes

(Cathy) #737

I also slow cook my cheesecake in a similar manner and leave it in the oven overnight to cool completely. But the biggest and best change is my silicone spring form pan. It is brilliant in that I get a ‘professional’ look to my perfectly formed cheesecake. No cracks and comes away from the pan perfectly every single time. The best $13 kitchen purchase, I have ever spent. Hmmmm… feeling the need to make cheesecake!:grin:

(Jessica) #738

Now there were so many cheesecake posts, but when I search for it, there’s no spe-cee-al-i-tee cheesecake. How can that be?

Even worse, I can’t make any right now… (I would also be willing to test not-so special ones.)

(Rich Hopkins) #739

Well, here’s the true expert to answer the questions about the pans. Alton Brown. Whoever posted the video did so with pretty bad video quality, but it’s good enough to get the idea.

I don’t use the same recipe that he does - I have modified a recipe from a cookbook that I had about 20 years ago - but I do use his methods, for the crust and for cooking. I do leave it in the oven longer than he recommends, both with the oven on, and after turned off. The reason mine comes out better if I cook it longer could come down to difference in ingredients (mine has melted white chocolate chips in it, for one thing). One of these days I’ll have to come up with a keto way of making it, and once I do, I’ll gladly post the recipe. For now, though, I haven’t converted it, and I haven’t been here long enough to post recipes. :wink:

Basically, follow the cooking method that Alton Brown uses, and experiment until you get the right cooking times. It took me many iterations to come to the 90/90 cooking/resting times. Also, I don’t bother opening the oven when I turn it off. I just turn it off and set the timer for 90 minutes, then come back at that time. I take it out, cover it with wax paper, and stick it in the fridge.

(joievawter) #740

Lots of giggling happening here after reading that.

(joievawter) #741

I was going to take a picture of my lovely & so very yummy keto breakfast, but then I started reading this thread and…

Well, it was 2 frittatas with sausage, bacon, green pepper, american & pepperjack cheeses. And my half caff cinnamon toffee flavored coffee with some half & half.

(MakinBacon) #742

So far today all I’ve had is black coffee. Lunch is BPC, dinner is going to be a couple of grilled hamburger patties, with cheddar cheese, bacon, and fried eggs on top.

I also like to pan fry my burgers in cast iron and throw in the eggs to cook in the beef fat, but that tends to smoke up the house a tad, so I don’t do it as often as I would like.

(Bacon for the Win) #743

someone put this on my FB wall the other day. Let’s just say mine did not come out pretty enough for pictures. Ate it anyway.

That is brilliant! I’m going to try that one day!!

(Rich Hopkins) #745

Way too much. Been nibbling all day long. Not because I’m hungry. Because I’m stressed. A friend in our church was put on hospice last night and expected to die anytime. She’s in good spirits, anxious to meet Jesus, but the rest of us are definitely stressed.

(Becky Searls) #746

Where did you find?!!!’

(Michelle) #747

Game changed… I made this today. I would do a few things different next time, and there definitely will be a next time. This was really good and lower carb than fathead. I put cheese and pepperoni as toppings. I overcooked the toppings a bit, so will broil next time, or reduce the temp to 425 to finish off the toppings.

Chicken Pizza Crust Options

My sympathies, Rich. Take care of yourself. Be strong.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #749

[quote=“MKChitown, post:747, topic:3210”]
Game changed
[/quote] Excellent! This was on my try list for Zero Carb March, this will be perfect with an oil sauce. Thank you @MKChitown… I’m jealous over what you’re eating right now!

(Rich Hopkins) #750

Thanks.

(Jennifer) #751

Dinner last night… Stuffed peppers (hamburger, plus bacon and riced cauliflower)

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #752

At a Raley’s grocery store. They’re in California and Nevada: https://www.raleys.com/www/storelocator

More info about the product: http://www.fioruccifoods.com/products/#fiorucci-paninos and where to buy: http://www.fioruccifoods.com/product-locator/

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #753

I came home from Costco and my Hubby asked while looking at the 2 rotisserie chickens I bought… “So, they’re selling skinless, wingless, and legless chickens now?” In my defense they did smell amazing and I hadn’t eaten in a while :joy::joy::joy::wink::sunglasses:

No no no. We like pictures. They do not need to be pretty. We can’t all be domestic goddess @Fiorella :wink: