What Did You Keto Today? Part IV

food

Absolutely gorgeous :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Butter Withaspoon) #2234

Reminder to self: never look at this thread when hungry. You people are killing me with your beautiful tasty pics!
Today I am turning the Very Fat beef bones into the soup. I think it’s going to be a good one so I’m sharing a look at some ingredients. I do food very cheaply and grow a lot of my ingredients. These very cheap fatty bones from my butcher are my go to.
For flavour I have fermented sunchokes and the juice, oregano, a kind of winter spinach, fresh oregano and bay, lemon slices, dried whole chillis - all from my garden! There are other ingredients from the shops.

(FRANK) #2235

@velvet, what is your recipe for Russian eggs?

Very simple: hard boiled eggs cut in half, topped with mayo and caviar. I learned to do this on my travels through what was then the " East Block" , eastern Europe, decades ago. I’ve been hooked ever since.

Last night’s dinner: chicken enchilada using leftover Costco rotisserie chicken. I used a combination recipe from https://www.wholesomeyum.com/low-carb-chicken-enchiladas-recipe/#pinit for the basic recipe including the sauce. For the tortillas I use a recipe from Gnom-Gnom which is so ridiculously easy. https://www.gnom-gnom.com/grain-free-keto-tortillas/#wprm-recipe-container-3893

New York steak and mushroom medley. Yum!

Looks delicious. What’s your favorite way to prepare steak? I love to sous vide mine to 130° and then a reverse sear on a cast iron skillet using the side burner on the outdoor grill. I add avocado oil, butter, and a few sprigs of rosemary to the pan. 45 seconds per side.

I am shy about heating plastic near food. There are many types of plastic and we really have little info about what leaches out of them and what the long term effect of ingestion is. So, while Sous Vide is really attractive to me, I have not tried it yet. I hope they will come up with a way to Sous Vide in glass…

I marinate, the longer the better, all the tougher cuts of steak in red wine, Braggs aminos, pepper, avocado oil and water. Then I pop them into a 400 degree oven, usually. Occasionally I pan fry, and when the heat abates, I will grill again. The grill, very hot, works best. I don’t turn the steak until I see drops of moisture bubbling up on top, then I flip and just do another minute or so to sear.

Better quality steaks, I skip the marinating and just coat with aminos, desired spices and herbs, and top with goose fat. Other than that, same procedure.

lol. well, i choke down Montezuma’s 100% absolute black with almond and sea salt chocolate bar (with a little stevia dribbled on top). i’m going to have to try the brie, cuz, hey, it can’t get any worse!!! :wink:

(Ashley) #2242

Are you opposed to silicone? You can get reusable silicone bags for sous vide.

Sounds really yummy! I will occasionally marinate, and am happy when I do. Mostly for flank steak when I’m making fajitas. I’m really cautious about plastics and microwaves. Even if there’s a safe for microwave symbol on the container I won’t do it.

I know, those cut down on the plastic waste, which is a bonus. Supposedly though, they cook less evenly because the material is stiffer and doesn’t mold airtight… and, on the chemical side, we don’t know what was used on the production of the silicone and may leach into food. I have seen too much cancer to not take every precaution I can. It’s not like these products have been tested over a long period, we just don’t know.

Fried Chicken

(with pulverized pork cracklings, and cooked in coconut oil)

Cream marinated chicken livers and bacon, topped with sour cream. Roasted tomatoes and broccoli.

(Neil) #2247

Yum! Bacon and full-fat dairy are two of the best things in the world :slight_smile:

*Decided to skip yesterday so I brought something for lunch today. Puts me just over 45 hours fasted, and since I was pulled out of the office by my associate director just before Noon, I am just eating now (2:50pm) which is going to be a very late lunch, probably my OMAD for today. …A couple double Swiss burgers with sour cream and scallions, along with cherry tomatoes. Hard salami cottage cheese Ginger root beer Zevia, almond milk an iced tea. Also some salt and vinegar almonds. *

IMG_5291

Fixed up…
IMG_5293

BTW, does anyone know of a simple Fasting app? I’ve used this one for a couple years, and I only use it to keep track of the time duration, nothing else. But lately, I’m getting this dumb ass ad to upgrade to their Pro… And I HATE ads, commercials, etc., especially when it’s now each time I open it, and have to X it out! … I also just keep the default set to 120 hrs, since that’s my self-imposed limit for Fasting, but actually don’t like to set times, or plans how long to Fast. Just play it by ear and see where it goes.

(Jane) #2249

I use the LIFE one and like it. Mine is set for 37 hours as that is all I am doing while working from home.

Thanks, Jane. I will have to check that out. :+1:

(Bacon for the Win) #2251

I use Life or Zero. I’ve used Zero more often and it can he set to count up or down.

(Bacon for the Win) #2252

seeded keto rolls
did it a bit different this time. last time I made these in the cast iron pan, this time the mini muffin pan.

image image