What Blood Glucose should Be?

(Vic) #1

Hi I am new here and I am 5 weeks into keto, ALthough I did mess up last night I don’t know how bad thought I was doing good eating meat at a greek restaurant But found out that Gyro meat and greek meatballs do have carbs no idea how bad it was though

I had recently bought a blood glucose Keto monitor and checked glucose for the first time and it was 104 I had to eat about hour and 45 min before

But looking up online shows vary of info one says anything under 140 is good another 105 is a concern?

I have not been diagnosed Diabetes or pre or anything like that (last tie doc checked was about a year and a half ago only said high triglycerides) but I have always been concerned as I am overweight and have been a carboholic for much of my life

So What Blood Glucose number should I want to see?

(mole person) #2

104 would be ok if just after a meal but definitely not great as a fasting value or one several hours after your last meal. I recommend testing again first thing upon waking before you put anything in your mouth.

The good news is that a well designed ketogenic diet can bring your glucose down. And 104 isn’t a scary high number.

A good number to be seeing would be under 80.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

It’s worth taking a few readings for the next few days. A good plan might be something like:

• Upon waking, before eating
  • Mid day, a few hours after eating
  • Evening, before supper
  • 1 hour after supper
  • 2 hours after supper
  • 3 hours after supper, if not closer to the before supper reading

I know the hourly testing is annoying, and may not catch true peaks/details

(Troy Mitchell) #4

Anything between 70 and 130 is fine and is normal. So don’t fret.

2nd thing is that your glucose meter can be off 15-20 percent. That is the industry standard set by the FDA. So your glucose could be in the 80’s or 120’s. Again no cause for concern.

It is a good idea to test to see how you respond to certain foods. I ate a keto cookie that had a small amount of cane sugar and it spiked my blood sugar to 120. Tells I probably should stay away from cane sugar even though the reading is normal.

Lastly the timing of your test is also key. You will have a blood sugar spike after you it with a peak at 30 minutes. It is recommended to test your blood 90 minutes after you eat to see if you have cleared any excess blood sugar.

You numbers are fine. If you are concerned, go have your a1c check.

(mole person) #5

Maybe if you’ve just eaten. A fasting glucose of 130 is full on diabetes.

According to the Mayo clinic:

• A fasting blood sugar level below 100 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) — 5.6 millimoles per liter (mmol/L) — is considered normal.

• A fasting blood sugar level from 100 to 125 mg/dL (5.6 to 7.0 mmol/L) is considered prediabetes. This result is sometimes called impaired fasting glucose.

• A fasting blood sugar level of 126 mg/dL (7.0 mmol/L) or higher indicates type 2 diabetes.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prediabetes/diagnosis-treatment/drc-20355284

My own fasting glucose is between 57- 80.

(Troy Mitchell) #6

The O.P.'s original post stated that he tested post meal (within 2 hours of eating). This is an acceptable number considering the given circumstances.

2nd thing is a home glucose meter can be as much as 20% off which is an industry standard. So it could be 84 or 124.

3rd thing is those numbers given are guidelines and should be treated as such. Not everybody is the same. Some people run higher numbers than others over a variety health issues such as blood pressure, cholesterol, etc.

The Mayo Clinic. The great white tower. Infallible in every way. I guess I should follow their advice on healthy eating and go back to eating whole grains, fruit, and vegetables including root vegetables.

Lastly, if the O.P. really wants to know, he should go get his a1c checked at a lab so he knows for certain, as I stated earlier. Only a lab (unless has the equipment himself) can give him a more accurate picture and his insurance will pay for it. If he doesn’t, he can go to CVS or other pharmacy and they can run it for him and it will cost him $10 .

(mole person) #7

Hba1c is not a more reliable test than fasting glucose. It’s based on an assumption that one’s red blood cells live precisely three months, but this is a population average and there is a great deal of variability. Fasting glucose is more variable day to day but it’s actually more precise when you take the average of a number of readings.

@Vic0628 I recommend you just take the test again when you wake tomorrow.

(Vic) #8

Yea this was just the first day testing, I wanted to know what to look for, This thread has been informative

Tomorrow I will test multiple times and see what it says

Based on what I am reading here I am not too concerned especially since I had an off dinner last night. And Being on the WOE it can only get better

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #9

Also some people has raised BG upon waking. The dawn affect it is called. Mine was pretty regular at 120 to 130 mg/dL. Now that I’ve been keto for more than a year I have busted below that most mornings when I take it.

(Troy Mitchell) #10

Yup. Most days my morning glucose is the highest reading of the day. The dawn effect is supposedly your body making you breakfast for the coming day. To do that it converts whatever it has on hand to glucose to start your day. Mine will start at 103 and dip into the 80’s and 90’s even right after eating. Do not be alarmed if your fasting glucose is a little high. Take a measurement about 90 minutes after every meal. I do it twice a day unless I feel bad. Let us know how it goes.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #11

Interesting article I found the other day…

Red blood cell survival (days) = 100/[reticulocytes (percent)/reticulocyte life span (days)]

Here is an example:

Let’s say your reticulocyte count is 0.8% and your hematocrit is 45. Pulling from corrected reticulocyte count tables, the number for the reticulocyte life span (RLS) number would be 1.0.

Thus your equation would look like this:

100/[0.8/1] = 125 days

(Troy Mitchell) #12

Very interesting read.

(Vic) #13

So I started with Keto Mojo testing today

As far as first thing in the morning, I do have a problem eating at night when I wake up multiple times a night, Last night was no exception although now I just eat bacon and a slice of cheese woke up last at 5 AM had a slice of swiss

Any way tested 1st at 8 am and had a reading of 120

I eat breakfast at 9:30 and checked every 2 hours 1st reading 120 second 110, However I ran thought the strips they give with the machine do to many error codes, Was supposed to have them at Walmart they did not but I picked up a contour next

I thought I would check for differences with my last strip but error ed out again so I just did it with the contour next at it showed 104

Last reading now at 8 hours fasting shows 90

I am guessing I am prediabetes So crazy every site with info on prediabetes suggests eating healthy fruits grains and very low fats

Well I doubt This is to be a concern as I am in my 5th week on this Woe and I am not turning back

(Bob M) #14

Contour next are what I use.

(mole person) #15

This is the closest to your fasting glucose. You’re not prediabetic. It’s not the greatest but it’s fine and it should improve if you keep carbohydrates low and protein moderate.

(Troy Mitchell) #16

I use contour next as well. What you need to do now is get into a routine so your testing is consistent.

(John) #17

do these work in the keto mojo?

(Bob M) #18

I don’t know. I usually use what’s sold for the monitor. I have 4 different pin-prick blood glucose monitors (Free Style Libre, Contour Next EZ, Precision Xtra, and keto mojo) and two different ketone monitors (keto mojo, Precision Xtra).

The Contour Next Ez at one time was 100% accurate in a study (which means it was within 15% of real blood sugar each time), so that’s what I like to use for blood sugar. I actually prefer the CGM from Free Style Libre, but I have to get a prescription for that through my doctor, which is too hard to do. (I originally bought a year’s supply from Sweden, where it’s over the counter.)

(Stephen Judd) #19

This video by Dr. Sten Ekberg has some interesting points regarding dawn phenomenon and differences when keto:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #20

Thanks