What are your ketosis levels in the morning?

(cheryl) #1

Hi Guys,

What are your typical numbers? In the morning? In the evening?

Is it different when you take them?

I had a morning number of .6mml so I know I’m barely into Ketosis…

thoughts?

(Lonnie Hedley) #2

I don’t test, but yes they are different at different times. Depending on fasted or if you’ve eaten.

My thought is that I’m chasing a feeling, not a number. When my mind is clear and my body feels great, I don’t need a number on a machine to tell me I’m in ketosis. That feeling tells me I’m in ketosis. I know I can’t, but when I’m in ketosis I feel like I can move things with my mind and flip cars with one arm.

Deep breaths. Keep calm. Keto on. Be the tortoise, not the hare.

Mine are always lower in the morning. I believe it’s the dawn phenomenon which causes it (natural release of cortisol and “waking up” hormones.) Mine then naturally rise throughout the day, and peak early evening, especially if I haven’t eaten. I stopped worrying/wondering about them awhile ago. Too many variables impacting ketone numbers, which causes too much stress wondering why they’re “only” a certain number.

I don’t measure - I go by periodic macro tracking to watch for sneaky carbs or too much protein. Otherwise - I listen to my body and tune into my appetite, mood and general wellbeing. If it all matches up - I’m there! For me, I have no appetite in the mornings - just thirst, so would presume ketones are running high which apparently is typical.

(Erik) #5

I consistently record morning ketones of 0.70 .
Around mid afternoon I see 1.5 typically.
But I’m only into my 2nd week of eating keto…
I started mid Dec but the holiday celebrations and an anniversary on the 6th kept resetting me back into carbs.

(Karen) #6

Yep, don’t test. I used to be able to smell ketones, now, I , swear, everything smells like bacon.

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

K

I’ve been tracking my blood ketones and glucose for about two months now. I’m doing IF in which I have a one to four hour eating window each day - how long it is on a particular day depends on how I feel on that day. Recently, I’ve been measuring after waking up, but also (sometimes) at other times during the day.

My numbers vary quite a lot. Over the past seven days, blood ketones have been as low as 0.8 mmol/L and as high as 2.5 mmol/L, with a median value of 1.3.

My highest number has been 4.8, which I got after hiking 6 miles, but just before breaking a two day fast. But I’ve also seen some 0.1 and “Lo” values (using my Keto Mojo meter) during the time that I’ve been tracking them. When I see these low - out of ketosis - values, I think back to what I ate the day before. I’ve concluded that the reason for most of the low values was due to eating too much protein the day before. However, there have been a few occasions where I undoubtedly got too many grams of carbs.

I often, though not always, see the values increase throughout the day as I get further into my fast. However, on those occasions when I’ve measured in the wee hours of the morning (12am - 2am) I often see a fairly high value which then drops when I measure again after sleeping and then waking up. These are just general trends that I’ve noticed; I also seen days where the readings don’t fit this pattern.