What are your favorite vegetables to eat?

I eat kale every day despite the bloating effect. My body a couple hours later still says thank you for it.

Tried orange bell pepper today for extra vitamin C. It tasted incredibly sweet. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Thinking of trying summer squash with my salmon. I seem attracted to anything with omega 3 even when it comes to vegetables. Summer squash kind of looks good. Sauerkraut is good but it hurts my GERD. I’d try Brussel sprouts if I knew how to cook them without bloating myself further. I like romaine lettuce, arugula and onions too.

What do you like?

(Shannon) #2

I really like veggies too, even though I worry a bit about adding too many carbs sometimes. Here are some of my go-tos:

• Rainbow Chard - I saute these with avocado oil and garlic, then I add a little vegetable broth to help soften them since I do leave some of the stems in with the greens.

• Baby Bok Choy - in the cabbage family, so may cause some bloating, but I also saute them with oils, including a little sesame oil and some gluten-free soy sauce.

• Brussels Sprouts - I do these one of two ways, roast them in the oven with salt, pepper, olive oil and a little balsamic vinegar sprinkled over the top to make the outer leaves nice and crispy. We’ve also been doing a slow-cooked bone-in chicken thigh recipe. For that, we put the chicken, brussels sprouts, green beans and sometimes turnip roots on a flat sheet pan and put a generous amount of olive oil over it all. We set the oven to 350 degrees and cook for about an hour. The fat from the chicken moistens and softens all the veggies. But, looks like you’re a pescatarian, so that may not be your jam.

• Asparagus & Artichokes - I usually just steam the artichoke, and pan sear the asparagus with oil, salt, garlic and lemon juice.

• Yellow Squash, Zucchini and Onions - I cut them up, wrap them all in tin foil with, wait for it, avocado oil, salt, and pepper and throw them in the oven or on the grill. The onion gives them some nice flavor.

I had very many favs in the past, carnivore changed it very drastically… But I still have a few favs I occasionally eat with my meat or eggs.
Onions and tomatoes. Both are quite sweet but it’s good, at least I automatically use a tiny amount :smiley: My current stew has both of them.
At the moment we have cucchini too (I lost interest but remember the times when I liked it).

Before carnivore I very often ate carrots and peas as well, in soups. I have nothing against carbier items on keto especially vegs as they are way more flavorful and a little goes a long way. All vegs are out if I want to eat them in big amounts anyway (if something is so super low carb that could be an exception, I dislike it or can’t get it here). I touched fried cauliflower, inevitable 40g net carbs in a few mins… I banned it right away, it was in the beginning of my keto times. But it still worked in soups as I used little…

But now (apart from my stews and eggs in purgatory) I just eat some spring onion or radish or pepper or cucumber with my meat sometimes. I like juicy and crunchy. In our household it’s a very important thing to have raw vegs to grab and eat. We never liked salads. I just don’t NEED it anymore. It’s just innocent fun :slight_smile:

Our typical pepper isn’t bell pepper but an almost tasteless, less bulky capsicum. I get juiciness and crunch and no noticeable sweetness.

Oh and I barely ever eat any but it’s nice, it’s among the very very few green leaves I am willing to eat: sorrel. It’s sour, so cool, I LOVE sour things. I like sour tomatoes and dislike very sweet ones too.
And it’s super easy to grow, one just toss some seeds into some soil and the sorrel patch will live forever. My soil is very bad, barely any vegetable grows there but my sorrels are thriving. They need exactly zero care, I don’t even water them.
I only eat a few leaves a year but that’s a joy.

(Marianne) #4

I have been carnivore for a year and a half, however, when I was eating regular keto, I LOVED steamed brussels sprouts with salt and butter or bacon grease, cabbage stir fried with 73/27 hamburger, an occasional tossed salad (mainly for the blue cheese dressing that I put on it). That was about the extend of my vegetable consumption. Never got tired of it. We only ate anything out of the ground at our evening meal - helped to keep the carbs very low.

(KCKO, KCFO) #5

All the lettuces, swiss chard, asparagus, cauliflower, pickles both cucumbers and okra, fresh green beans, and sugar snap peas. I usually eat those when in season but will splash out midwinter for some of them as well. I have no issue with brussels sprouts, cook then in bacon fat, might not work well for you with your issues.

Personally I couldn’t live without green, red, and orange peppers.

After reading this I might have to give brussels sprouts a try no matter what they do to me. Ive had them once or twice and enjoyed them. Leeks are also tempting. My favorite veggies are the ones that bloat me worst. Oh well sometimes you’ve just got to eat things if your body wants them no matter what.

I have swiss chard. They are so pretty and I tried to eat them once or twice but failed. But they are so big and pretty, I wonder what I could do with it. I have an SO who even eats spinach (and that’s a nasty thing) but no idea what to do with it :frowning: What do people do with green leaves? Hungarians just cooks vegs into a mush (or not if they are bigger, harder things but cooking for a long time is basic), it’s the main type of veggie dish. Of course we have different things too but this type is the most popular by far. A cheaper (and non-Chinese) eatery offers very nearly all vegs like that.
It doesn’t look like a salad thing but we don’t eat salads anyway.

Brussel sprouts can be nice, I met bitter and nice ones in my life (the same with kale. they both are green so I barely ever ate them but had a few attempts).
Leeks are great! I like all onions and co. Well not so much garlic since carnivore but it still has its uses, some dishes are hard to imagine without. But that’s more like spice, not vegetable… :wink:

(KCKO, KCFO) #8

Cauliflower and Leek soup made with chicken stock as the base is a good option. Very easy if you use riced cauliflower, Saute the cauliflower with the leeks (cut into thin strips for quickler cooking in butter and or bacon fat, then add the stock and simmer for @20 mins. Great even when cold for summertime or hot in the winter months.

Well… ■■■■■■ I never thought to check this, and guess what? I’ve been buying Chinese Garlic o_O
Off to Tesco today so that’s something I will most certainly be checking THIS time! Wow.

(Wendy) #10

Last time I had to go to the Drs with a diverticulitis episode. Dr said veggies don’t like me. I am now Carnivore. But if I had to make a choice. Brussel sprouts,summer squash.
Although I really don’t miss them.

(Robin) #11

Same. Gave up veggies and no more diverticulitis flairs.

(Wendy) #12

Yes it’s great! Gerd better, colitis! Down from 40mg to 20mg Omeprazole!! Hopefully I can stop taking it all together!! Also went from 50mg of Metopolol to .25mg. so interesting!!

(Jane) #13

Anything from my garden. Green beans, yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, peppers, onions, cucumbers, English peas, okra.

After cutting out all of the crud I’d been eating and drinking for a while that made it so that I couldn’t tell exactly which things were making me feel awful, I have sadly discovered that I’m super sensitive to tomatoes… even without the skin and seeds : ( Same with Brazil nuts. I love both… cries

My reflux and bloating had entirely disappeared until I reintroduced those two.

I’m hoping that after a prolonged period of healing and adjustment, I may be able to tolerate one or both. Guess I’ll just have to see.

(Jane) #15

Sorry to hear that…… but at least you know what causes it now.