What are the long-term effects of a ketogenic diet?

(Carl Keller) #1

Even if the title is a little ominous, at least it gives a voice to both sides of the story. Overall, I would say it’s slighty more positive than negative.

From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:

(John) #2

I read that when it popped up in my Google feed. Nowhere in the article do they address the question stated in the headline.

The doctor who is anti-keto says “Long term, it’s hard. People miss some fruits, different vegetables, grains. It’s hard. It becomes a very restrictive diet.”

That’s not an effect. He sidesteps the question. Or his implication is that one of the long term effects is that there are no long term effects because no one can stay on it long term.

The dietitian who is anti-keto merely says that she is against it, because carbs are OK as long as you choose good ones. Nothing at all mentioned about long-term effects. Just “it’s a fad, therefore bad.”

The one doctor who seems to be pro-keto merely says that there are powerful metabolic benefits. Even he does not tie this to a long-term ketogenic diet.

So three people voice their opinions about keto in general, and not one of them even attempts to touch on the question asked in the headline.

*I will agree with the dietitian who says choosing good carbs is key. Lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, kale, chard, tomatoes, raspberries - plenty of good carbs out there. I eat them regularly.

(Running from stupidity) #3

Well, that was a badly-written piece of crap. “This other publication talked to these people with stakes in the matter and they all told them that they all think the things that makes them their money. So here’s what they wrote, but on our site, so slap a clickbait headline on it and call it good!”

(Carl Keller) #4

They just end the article by asking the same question.

That made me cringe. It’s a typical response fueled by an ignorance for how keto works. I’ve never been so in control of my food choices than I am right now.

Agreed. I was trying to approach it as if I had no opinion about the subject and the fact that it had opposing opinions made it a ‘better’ than average keto article to me. I’m so used to reading vegan funded articles where keto just gets bashed by ignorance that it’s a pleasant surprise to see when it gets a chance to throw a few jabs back.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Yeah, keto is pretty unsustainable. And then it kills us, too! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: