What are good suggestions to make sure I'm getting enough Potassium and Salts?

(Scott Rosenlof) #1

I’m running on empty. I know my electrolytes are suffering. I need some good suggestions to help replenish my lost minerals.

(karen) #2

I keep a drink on hand that’s just water with potassium, sodium and magnesium in it. Tastes like lightly salty water. I’ll throw a small splash of lemon juice in if I’m finding it unappealing as it is, and always have a pint jar by my side. There are several recipes on the forum for Keto-ade / aid / aide that use commercial magnesium citrate, which has some sweetener and flavoring in it.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #3

I use ZipFizz. Adds 2 grams of carbs, but it works so darn well. And after some really bad days with dizzy spells, I’ll take the 2 carbs and cut somewhere else.

(Brandon Keown) #4

Avocados are high in potassium. If you are fasting it’s important to remember that if you keep your sodium levels up it will preserve your potassium levels, and if you keep your magnesium levels up it will preserve your calcium (additionally emergency calcium is drawn from bone so I think calcium deficiency over short term is rare).

Supplementing with potassium should usually be done under careful supervision by a doctor above a certain level because excess potassium can cause fatal cardiac arrest or otherwise unpleasant palpitations. It’s generally just easier to keep the potassium you have with salt than to try to raise it with a supplement or potassium iodide, or to get potassium from natural sources like avocado if you are actually low and are not fasting.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

Most of us use those KetoAide recipe, it’s great.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

Unless you prefer spending money on forms of these minerals that are less bioavailable, the easiest, cheapest way to get bioavailable potassium and magnesium is to eat organ meats, bone marrow (in bone broth, for example), and green, leafy vegetables. You can add a bit of salt when making your bone broth, and of course, you can always put salt on your food.

(Mandy) #7

my favorite way to get my sodium lately is drinking the pickle juice in my fermented pickles. It might be a little weird but i love it. it’s pickley and salty with the added bonus of healthy gut probiotics.

(Championsidewinder) #8

I agree, that’s if you like pickles, I love em, I take a jar to the disc golf course with me, and eat them while I sweat n play, and put a pinch Himalayan pink salt in my bottled water :crazy_face: