What advice would you give to your newbie keto self?

newbies

(TJ Borden) #42

I suppose it works both ways :joy::joy::joy:

(Running from stupidity) #43

Yes, pretty sure that’s what he meant :slight_smile: #userealparm

“Real” parm is very overrated, and doesn’t work well for a lot of the things I use the glorious green can for.
#woodpulp4lyfe

(Running from stupidity) #45

Ah, my bad. Didn’t realise we were discussing the actual can itself.

:slight_smile:

I’ve been known to “drink” powdered parmesan straight from the canister.

(Running from stupidity) #47

Not sure you’re helping your cause here :slight_smile:

(Frank) #48

I’ve had to turn my home brewing dial back quite a bit for sure. Having more than 2, 3 tops makes me feel like garbage nowadays anyway so that’s made it easier.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #49

Well, on the one hand, it probably contains a fair amount of wood pulp, so at least it has some fiber.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-02-16/the-parmesan-cheese-you-sprinkle-on-your-penne-could-be-wood

But on the other hand, it’s a sad imitation of “Il formaggio migliore nel mondo"
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/02/18/you-shouldnt-be-buying-grated-parmesan-cheese-anyhow-because-its-gross/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.b01f64b06c88

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #50

I don’t think that Dr. Fung is saying what you think he’s saying with that video.

He’s talking about satiety signals from whole foods. And he’s using beans as a carbohydrate to make a point, not necessarily to say they are keto (he’s also saying they are like 100% carbohydrate, which is inaccurate, unless protein is now carb (in the estimation of Dr. Fung, maybe it is… I dunno)… it’s a long distance from pulses like black beans to starch like baked potatoes, even baked, cooled and rebaked “resistant starch” potatoes.

And I write all that as a regular consumer of black beans and occasional sweet potato user.

As to your link from the Dr. Eenfelt, I’m not sure how to square

With this:

Resistant starch in general.

As to your Dr. Attia link, I wonder about the general applicability of starch for LCHF/ketonians, given that Dr. Attia’s N=1 experiment was in the context of high intensity exercise, not just bumping around town and losing weight or trying to be a more healthy sedentary human.

Context matters, clearly.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #51

If you’re really interested, you might look into something like the number of copies of the AMY-1 gene you have. Folks have from maybe 1 to 6 copies of it, and the more you have, the more carbohydrate digestion you do in your mouth, which apparently leads to better outcomes with carbs.

(Brian) #52

I did not do well with the “McDougall starch solution”. I tried. And I wanted it to work so badly. I’m a little envious of those who apparently can thrive and be healthy eating that way. I also wanted to be a healthy vegetarian and that pretty much crashed and burned along with the McDougall thing.

I love potatoes and pasta, and I love bread. They don’t love me. :frowning:

(Lisandra Mathews) #53

Don’t throw away your scale. Weight can creep up no mater what you eat. Hormones and stress can be a hell of a factor especially if you are a woman. Weight can quietly creep up over time and if you feel you are gaining you are less likely to want to weigh yourself. It’s like getting the credit card bill after a vacation.

If you check in every once in a while you can make corrections and be a lot more mindful of what is causing the gain and nip it in the bud. Also if you are going to try carb ups you really need to see how that affects your weight. I learned that the hard way.

I would plaster bread thickly in butter. Eat carbs with meat and veg. It made me fat, and very hungry.

(Bunny) #55

I wonder if maybe raw potato’s would have a really positive impact on keto if we started our own little n=1 thread experiment (for as many that would like to participate) where everyone could post their blood sugars and ketones with a blood meter, one thread for newbies, diabetics (T2D) and oldies in a before and after context to see what happens with and without high intensity work out?

Really curious!

Not sure how much should be eaten though?

Side notes:

1. Can Coffee Bean Extract Help Control Blood Sugar?
  1. Does resistant starch improve blood glucose control? Dr Denise Robertson wants to look at the effect of foods that have high levels of resistant starch on blood glucose control in people with Type 2 diabetes. This could help people with Type 2 diabetes to manage their condition, using diet, and could provide important evidence for future nutritional guidelines.

(Bunny) #56

Interesting!

(Bunny) #57

Sounds good must try that -+the carbs!

I eat very thinly sliced bread so I don’t get fat!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #58

You showed me yours, so I’ll show mine:
http://www.fitgenes.com/health-and-wellbeing/Fitgenes-Profile-Reports/carb-choice-amy1

Scientific studies have shown that variations in the human salivary amylase gene (AMY1) differ based on populations which have traditionally eaten high starch diets, compared to those who have traditionally eaten low starch diets (Perry et al. 2007). Copy number variations within the AMY1 gene impact salivary amylase activity (Yang et al. 2015; Santos et al. 2012), which influences how well the body breaks down and processes starch. Copy number variations and amylase activity can also impact the oral perception of starch leading to nutritional differences (Mandel et al. 2010).

Simply, some people can process starchy carbohydrates better than others, and this can impact their nutrition, dietary choices and health.

Amylase activity, and the ability to process starch, has been demonstrated to have impact on BMI (Bonnefond et al. 2017) and hence AMY1 copy number can impact on the related issues of BMI, obesity and weight management (Falchi et al. 2014; Mejía-Benítez et al. 2015; Viljakainen et al., 2015; Marcovecchio et al. 2016). Low amylase individuals may even be at greater risk of insulin resistance and diabetes if they maintain a high starch diet (Mandel and Breslin 2012).

Firm will gene test, but any health gene test will tell you how many copies of AMY-1 you have. I linked because they cite a TON of academic research on AMY1. Salivary amylase activity, effect on BMI, obesity, weight management, insulin resistance and diabetes. If you are low on AMY1 copies, you should probably keep strict keto. The more copies you have, the less likely you are to need keto.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #59

Obesogenic recipe in a nutshell. Cooked low protein starch covered in low protein fat. Slightly blunted insulin from the fat, but high glycemic load, and the protein stimulates insulin way more than glucagon in the context of high carb meals. I suppose it could have been worse… you could have used margarine, and sprinkled sugar on top. :wink:

(TJ Borden) #60

…so like the cinnamon toast I used to eat all the time: toasted white bread, margarine, then sprinkled with a cinnamon/sugar mix that was probsbly 1 parts cinnamon to 4 parts sugar.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #61

Yep, and here you are… needing keto.