Weird month

May has been a weird month as my body is doing something that seems weird. For about 3 days straight sometimes 4 there is very little weight loss and sometimes a gain and no bowelmovement . Then on day 3 or 4 I have 2-3 bowel movements and down 2-3 lbs. then starts again . I drink my water and eat asparagus broccoli and cauliflower and limitmy cheese and dairy. Don’t know why my system is doing this. Started keto in early February

(Jill F.) #2

My digestive track has been wonky too. I started in Dec and starting in March my stomach just locked up! I would suggest to only weigh once a week or even once every 2 weeks rather than daily. Also focus on loss of size not pounds and focus on NSV (non scale victories) such as energy, clothes fitting better, etc., rather than weight. I think it takes time for our bodies to adjust to this new way of eating without all those carbs.

The scale part is hard , I am addicted but trying . Yes clothes are much better down 4 or 5 pant sizes depending on the brand. Went from a 3x shirt to 2x ( thought with the weight loss would be less ) more worried about the vowel movements and getting enough fibre

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

Well your bowels aren’t moving daily and you gain a couple of pounds sometimes and loose it all at once when they move so you aren’t gaining pounds, you’re just processing food. And consider that a 16 oz. glass of water weighs 1 lb.
Many people experience less frequent bowel movements and also a reduced amount when you do go. That’s because keto food is more fully absorbed by your body than grains and starchy foods that cause a lot of bulk. I am the same as you after 9 months as far as frequency. Some days very little and every once in a while quite a few times in a day. But I used to use stool softeners before keto and still suffered from frequent constipation, I no longer use the pills :pill: and I am never constipated even when I eat a ton of cheese like a fat head pizza. I found that cheese was constipating before because I always consumed it with a bread or crackers of some kind.

Don’t worry about reduced fiber intake, all that fiber was necessary when you’re eating wheat products and carb heavy foods, not so much with green vegetables and meat. There’s a lot of carnivore people here that never consume fiber for years and have very healthy digestive tracts without any constipation.

That’s why weighing in daily (and expecting the scale to show progress) is unrealistic and discouraging. So just do as @MommyJill2005 said and stop because it is causing you stress and that gets in the way of the keto process with weight loss. She gave solid advice.

You’ll find it liberating if you can just come to trust the process and when you weigh in every week or two I think you may see the trend that you’re looking for.

I weigh in daily just out of curiosity but I never think twice about a pound or two up. Every week I drop a pound or so usually, but not always. I enter the data when I hit a new low into my tracking app and every now and then I look at the graph and see that my progress is good, and it gives me inspiration not stress. But at the beginning I was kind of like you looking for daily progress. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Door Girl) #5

Our bodies aren’t linear, so expecting linear results is setting yourself up for “failure” (to meet expectations at least).

Is this an observation or something that is bugging you? Observations are good. But if it is bugging you it would make sense to back off the scale frequency. I weigh daily with a smart scale, but ignore anything that is a big jump. Up or down, until it becomes a pattern.

Not bugging me , just thought it was weird and was a little worried about the bowel schedule . I just am trying to see how body is reacting to exercise and certain foods and only update weight app when hot new low.

(Door Girl) #7

Good to hear!

The bowel changes are weird, aren’t they? I was full on IBS-D for as long as I can remember. Didn’t even need “help” when on Dilaudid for a week when I broke my leg, and now things are much more normal.