Weird keto foods

(Stickin' with mammoth) #1

Well, maybe they’re just weird to me but I still wanna try 'em if I can find a full-on keto version. Any suggestions?

Livermush

Pork scrapple

akutuq (or Eskimo Ice Cream)

This Smithsonian article on akutuq has me thinking about trying it with our native blackberries come summer. But I ain’t addin’ no sugar.

We eat haggis-like hashed lungs in Norway. Called lungemos, you can find it at practically any convenience store. The protein is a little high compared to fat, but we fry it in butter. Usually eaten with potatoes, but any vegetables or keto pasta will do.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Not sure where to source this…Scotland?

(Anne) #4

Scrapple is held together with wheat flour, not sure how you’d make a grain free version… I tried it ages ago (pre celiacs diagnosis) at a friend’s house in southern New Jersey. It was… weird but fine? You’re not missing much!
I used to love lobscouse (not sure how to spell, Norwegian grandma used to make it, and my Mom) which is coarsely mashed potatoes, turnips, onions and carrots with spam mixed in! Traditionally with salt pork but great grandma tasted spam one day and realized it tastes just like salt pork, and the family hasn’t looked back :slight_smile:
I make mine with pan browned spam, and sub out kohlrabi for the potatoes! And do a lot less carrot and moderate onion.

Oh yes, lapakaus. Can also be made with salted mutton, or sausage. Potatoes are often diced and overcooked rather than mashed,but if using kohlrabi, I suppose you’d have to mash some.

We also have fårikål (mutton-in-cabbage), whicb is rather keto in its original form. Cook mutton and cabbage in layers, with whole black pepper and enough salt. The dish is safely stored o the kitchen bench overnight, asnd reheated the day after. As with curry, some people prefer it freshly cooked, while others like it best bwhen reheated on the third day. The cabbage will be brown by then, and really tasty.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I’m still dreaming of a keto version of Goetta (pork and oat mush, fried into patties usually). It’s one of my favorites since childhood.

(Anne) #7

I think my grandma was too streamlined a cook to dice potatoes when she could chop them roughly and do a quick mash leaving lumps! Thank you so much for the spelling! I’ve always wondered how to spell that dish

(Linda Kaufman) #8

Whoa! I didn’t even know it was possible! Thank you so much. Just wow. Began actively take an interest in keto and here such gift.

(Bunny) #9

Ah you are from Cincinnati!

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #11

Well Northern Kentucky, right across the river. Yes. We love our goetta!

I had never heard of it until we moved there. We have since moved again, but we did live in Cinci for 10 years. <3

(traci simpson) #13

I LOVE SCRAPPLE! With ketchup on toast! I can’t eat that anymore; well at least not on toast and not with ketchup and NO I will NOT eat sugar free ketchup!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

I’ve had scrapple, it’s good. But it is like grits mixed with pork offal and maybe some meat so carb heavy. Sometimes it has buckwheat flour too.

Liver Pudding is a similar Pennsylvania Dutch food that doesn’t have the corn meal. It has a little flour but I am sure it’s substitutable with something like almond flour, on my to do list for one of these days…:man_cook:t3:

#Somanyketofoodssolittletime!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #15

Had me my first elk last December. Not the whole thing, just a massive steak. A friend’s husband is a hunter so it was local, fresh, and he dressed it, himself.

I was a little surprised that it didn’t taste gamey and was so naturally lean that I had to add beef tallow but it was the deepest red I’ve ever seen. All those lovely nutrients.

Also made my first New England clam chowder from scratch with fresh caught clams from another friend who was on the coast (I love Oregon). I overcooked them so it was actually Rubber Band Chowder but you’d be surprised how delicious rubber bands are in butter and extra heavy cream.

PS: I left out the potatoes and other plantstuffs from the chowder but I read somewhere that true New Englanders don’t put that stuff in, anyway, so I felt authentic.

PPS: I did put in bacon, which probably cancelled out the aforementioned authenticity, but bite me.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

If you can put bacon in corn chowdah, you can certainly put it in clam chowdah! :bacon:

On the other hand, most recipes call for milk rather than cream, but heavy cream is a great idear!

(My dad is from New Hampshah, and I approve this post.)

(Stickin' with mammoth) #17

Rubbah Band Chowdah definitely had da bacon.

40% Extra Heavy Whipping Cream made it so delicious, the recipe yield was reduced by 4 cups on the first day. Not sure where they went.

(checks waistband)

Oh, right.