Weight training over the years

(Vladaar Malane) #1

Good Morning,

Some things to consider…

Any weight lifters have plan for how they will continue lifting as they get into 50’s, 60’s, or 70’s of age? I would like to recommend looking at strengthening your tendons, joints, connective tissues now before going too heavy to avoid golfer’s elbow and all that stuff. https://gmb.io/tendon-strength/

Mobility - increase your range of motion through stretches. Can you extend your arms behind your back? Just because you build up your shoulders and back doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be able to have full range of motion. Can you touch your toes?

Prehab - perform short pre-workout routines that help prevent injuries. Most of this you can find in youtube search prehab shoulders, or whatever you might be working out that day. This is increasingly important as so many of us work desk jobs where we sit in awkward bad posture positions for too many hours in one day.

Bulking up with muscle? Have a plan for that weight, if and when you decide to stop lifting. I didn’t when I was 208 pounds 10 percent body fat, I got married had kids stopped lifting heavy and it turned to fat. I stayed fat a long time 255 pounds at my heaviest before finding keto. ( Currently 185 pounds ) Thanks 2 Keto Dudes!

I’m not against lifting weights, it’s great just be mindful about how you go about it. I incorporate some weights with the body weight resistance I’m doing now, and will increase them as time goes on I’m sure.

(Bob M) #2

One of the problems is that when Arnold burst onto the scene, a lot of the exercises really were problematic. Behind the neck presses, for instance. These put your shoulders in a weak position.

A lot of “wide grip” exercises were done too, which also put your shoulders in a weak position.

Now, and particularly since the pandemic hit, I’ve been doing body weight training. I like it, although I might have to see about more variety. With weights and machines, it’s easy to create variety.

The other thing is – and no one talks about this – you only get “huuuge” if you have genetics. If you don’t, you won’t. You’ll get stronger, just not “big”.

(Vladaar Malane) #3

Another thing I forgot to mention is can you manipulate your own body weight?

For example pull ups, dips, etc. Some guys bulk up so much they can’t pull their own body off the ground.

Which is exactly what I thought I would find from 4 time worlds strongest man Brian Shaw. He’s over 400 pounds in weight and yet he manages to do pull ups!!! You got to respect that. Maybe not the strictest form in the world, but at that weight it’s amazing he can do them.

(Bob M) #4

When I was younger, I did dips and pull ups with added weight. Alas, no more. Can’t do a pull up yet, though I’m getting closer. Dips are tougher, as my torn rotator cuffs make for a weak shoulder girdle.

(Ippy Bear) #5

Hey, I’ve been doing weights since I was 67, now 70. I do general loose weights and machines at a local gym. I notice if I have a break for say seven or eight days my max lift / pull drops a bit. At the mo I’m pushing dumbbells, flat on my back at max 37.5kgs / 82 lbs a side X 4 reps, pull down Latts, machine, at 100kgs / 220 lbs X 6 reps and with pull/rowing machine at 140 kgs / 308 lbs X 6 reps. I work up each session to those figures with progressive weight loading from low but with higher, say, 12 - 20 reps. I find it most motivating to watch younger guys struggle and then jump on the same equipment to thrash their results. I also normally train before eating anything, which proves that you don’t need a carb intake to have the energy. I normally train for around 60 - 90 minutes, and around three times a week. ( I’m also concreting a drive and paths at home on my off gym days ) My diet is keto / carnivore these days and been on that diet for nearly 3 years now. I lost 30 kgs / 66 lbs fairly rapidly and my weight has been fairly stable for a long time now at 112kgs / 246lbs.
My aim is to increase the weights gradually, because why not !!.

(Vladaar Malane) #6

Any exercise is better than none…

I just feel body weight exercise is more sustainable in old age with people joints and tendons. Lifting heavy weights in specific moves tends to limit mobility and flexibility as well. Again I’m not against using weights but if you do I highly recommend you add mobility and flexibility routines in it. Functional strength that can be used with full mobility is my goal. Can you touch your toes? Can you reach behind your back? Things of that nature.

(Ken) #7

The biggest thing for me when I trained well into my fifties was not to train for either max weight or in the very low rep range. Last time I trained for max was in my mid forties when I hit my strength records and goals. Then No more max training and no more two to five (to failure) rep range
I varied my rep ranges between 8-12, 12-17, and 17-22 to work a wide range of muscle fibers while saving my joints.

(Ippy Bear) #8

(Ippy Bear) #9

Left -Ippybear, before keto and weightlifting at aged 66.
Right - Weightlifting at 70

(Bob M) #10

Damn!

(Bob M) #11

I’ve seen something like this recommended, too. It’s a bit tougher to do when body weight training, though. For many of the exercises I do, I can’t get anywhere near 17+ reps.

(Laurie) #12

I did weight training through my 40s and even had my instructor’s certificate. In my early 50s I had prolapses of the bladder and rectum. I don’t know whether this had anything to do with the weight training.

Now in my late 60s, I wouldn’t consider weight training. I think there are just too many weak links in my body, many of which I’m not even aware of.

Maybe if I had access to medical scans that would show such weaknesses, and could afford the necessary supports, braces, etc. …

Congratulations to those who are still able to do it!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Wow! At 70, you look better than I do at 64! :+1:

(Ken) #14

Just an anecdote for those who have never resistance trained.

The reason weight training is often referred to as “The Fountain of Youth” with consequential delaying of Aging effects is that when training beyond the lactic acid stimulus threshold your muscles are actually being slightly damaged, meaning individual cells within the fibers are literally being burst apart. It is this that provides the stimulus for Repair and Growth, along with a youthful hormone secretion pattern that retards the Aging Process.

(Bob M) #15

If you broaden your horizon of what you consider to be “weight training”, you can do it. For the last 9 months or so, I’ve been doing body weight training only - no extra weights. Started out doing maybe 15 pushups, then got up to 30. Started adding pseudo-one arm pushups: for instance, the right arm does the pushup while the left arm is used to stabilize the body. Got up to a bunch of those, then started one arm pushups with the other arm on a ball.

Still trying to do a pull up…but could do one if I lose a bit more weight. I can do 1/2 pullups (start at top, go down 1/2 way, go back up).

I just starting adding some weights back in, mainly for legs. However, I STILL cannot do a proper shrimp squat or pistol squat, though I’ve done thousands of “normal” squats in my life.

This guy has progressions so if you can’t do a “normal” pushup, he shows you what you can do instead:

I’ve jogged, cycled, lifted, and for me, lifting produces the best stress relief, makes me feel better, and makes me look better or feel as if I’m looking better. Though, gaining muscle mass is slow for most people, including me. But I “feel” as if I look better. Cycling – while I like it – just doesn’t do the same thing.

(Kenny Croxdale) #16

Strength Training, "The Fountain of Youth

There are some definite health benefits to Strength Training. However, I wouldn’t refer to it as “The Fountain of Youth”.

The Three Components of Increasing Muscle Mass

The three components necessary for increasing muscle mass and strength are…

1) Mechanical Tension

This means using heavy loads for low repetitions; Maximum Strength Training.

2) Metabolic Stress

This is also referred to as “The Pump” or “The Burn”.

Low to moderate loads performed for moderate to high repetitions.

This trigger the anabolic, muscle building effect.

Each repetition increases blood flow to the muscles (Arterial Blood Flow).

The continuous moderate to high repetitions restrict blood flow out of the muscles back to the heart (Venous Blood Flow).

The muscles, literally balloon up, due to blood being trapped in them. This increases lactate with the downstream effect being an increase in growth hormone; increasing muscle mass.

3) Muscle Damage

As you noted, muscle that are slightly damaged heal up (with rest); becoming bigger and stronger.

Cells are not bursting apart.

Muscle Damage occurs when muscle are stressed; pushed to near failure or near failure. With that said, training to failure is something that need to occur infrequently.

Muscle Damage also occurs when muscle are stretched under a load. That means full range movements such as Full Squats, Dumbbell Bench Pressing (allowing a greater stretch under load) and Lat Pulldowns or Pull Up, etc will evoke this response.

"Strong People Are Harder To Kill"

One of the issues with aging is muscle wasting. It take place over time due to individual not exercising nor consuming enough protein to maintain, let along increase muscle mass.

Kenny Croxdale