Weight Loss (Too much)

(Steve Rosam) #1

I’m keto / carnivore. Weigh 72kg / 158lbs I keep losing weight. Was hovering around 75kg for quite a while but now down to 72. I eat till full. Normally 2 meals a day sometimes 1.
The past 2 weeks been eating only meat (mainly ribeye, some chicken), eggs, butter, fish.
Butter coffee too.
Don’t think I can eat any more than I am.
Should I exercise more?

(Alex ) #2

I would just say, exercise if you want to, listen to your body… wanting to exercise just comes as natural progression for me when I’m really getting into keto…

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

I’m with you. My problem is also maintaining weight, not losing it. Since I don’t have reliable hunger and satiety signals, I weigh/measure all my food and count calories. By trial and error I have discovered the energy intake ranges where I maintain, lose or gain. As long as I eat within my ‘maintain window’, I’m good.

This requires me to eat 3 and sometimes 4 times per day. If you have difficulty eating sufficient food at 1 or 2 meals per day, I suggest eating more meals.

Yes, if you’re young enough you can go the exercise route and add muscle mass. That requires pumping iron. Others more experienced can advise you about that. It will likely require you to eat more and especially more protein. So again, you’ll probably have to increase the number of daily meals.

(Elizabeth ) #4

Dr Shawn Baker talks about this, you need to lift heavy things and you need to eat more even if it’s a little uncomfortable. Dairy can help with weight gain also

Try different food (add some less satiating kind if you have that on carnivore, I have multiple choices and some of them are very tempting like sour cream. I don’t add much, it’s just a little delicious help), timing, number of meals… I do these and try to find my sweet spot when I eat too little - I want to lose but I don’t want to starve and my normal food is a bit too satiating for me on carnivore. I keep my normal food but add some added fat, cream or simply an extra meal or two when my meals are just tiny. I don’t wait for actual let alone strong hunger in my too easily satiated times. When I can eat again, I eat. But sometimes eating later means I can eat more… I try to figure out what works at the moment, things aren’t always the same…
My experiences are short term (November will be my first longer carnivore trial, it will be interesting!) but we are different anyway. Try various things, something should help.

Exercise makes my energy balance more negative but they often works in the opposite direction as I’ve read many times and anyway, I have fat reserves. So you can try more exercise and you will see what your individual body will do.

(Steve Rosam) #6

Thanks guys.
I think I’m going to keep an eye on it and also do more weights.

Why? Do you track what you eat? Do you know how much you’re actually taking in? Not sure how tall you are but If I weighed under160lbs I’d be in full fledged freak out mode! I’d be eating everything that would fit in my mouth. I’d take it your wanting to put on weight right?

(Todd Allen) #8

Some say the untrained can make some newbie gains at any age. However here’s a case of a man who has been making gains for 40 years and is going strong at 61…

(Neil) #9

Doesn’t your ideal weight depend on many factors? E.g. BMI, waist to height and hip ratios, fat and body mass percentages? Also blood tests will likely help you to know whether you should be eating differently. I don’t think there is a simple answer to your question without a lot more information.

Forget the exercise LOL This is about your eating.

First off you are keto / carnivore but lately you went all your days into carnivore so that weight loss is water loss. This is your body OFF all carbs. So this is a normal drop for you. 2 weeks being full on carnivore means you would have this weight loss so it is natural. This should not be ongoing to the point where you are gonna disappear.

You are adapting into carnivore now. If you hold this…focus on beef. Eat 2 ribeyes instead of chicken or eggs. Fish is low low low kcal for sure so if you eat fish, eat a ton of it and pair it up with a steak LOL

This is about what you eat and how much. You need at least around that 2 lbs of meat/seafood/fish mark per day while transitioning and you also need to eat the power pack of foods, beef/pork take priority. Chicken, eggs, fish are ‘side dishes’ to your steak ya know :slight_smile:

So I think you are in fine shape here. Your weight loss is water loss being off all carbs which is normal. You now need to eat the best of the best carnivore meats out there and eat very well. To fullness and enjoy just doing that.

Exercise as you want but don’t go overboard.

If your body IS TRULY at a good point for your height and frame size and you are healthy internally, and all that -----you aren’t going to continue to lose big on carnivore at this stage for your body. Just eat carnivore and give it another 2 weeks and evaluate again then.

again, I say you are fine, just eat well on carnivore and all should be ok for you!

(Tony) #11

You haven’t said how tall you are and how much lean mass you have, without these your weight is meaningless. I’m your weight, 5’11", my legs are reasonable muscular from walking/running but the rest of my body is not. I have a pot belly and am currently on a fat loss journey!!