Weight-loss that remits type 2 diabetes normalizes beta-cell function

(charlie3) #1

Proposes recovery of beta cell function and a cause of T2 that’s novel to me.
https://www.healio.com/endocrinology/diabetes/news/online/%7B0da19acc-4c82-4467-a425-bac5c0c4812e%7D/weight-loss-that-remits-type-2-diabetes-normalizes-beta-cell-function?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=sociallinks

(bulkbiker) #2

Its the whole basis for the ultra low calorie diet (the Newcastle Diet) that was studied in the Direct trial.
Interestingly in the pre trial experiments they tested for ketones in trial participants. No data about that in the Direct study itself but it is fairly low carb and severely restricted in food (3 meal replacement shakes per day) so some at least of the participants were likely in ketosis.

('Jackie P') #3

Jason Fung discusses it in this most heartwarming presentation.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #4

Yes, but unknowingly
Unfortunately, no one was telling them about the benefits of intentional ketosis for the purpose of weight loss and remission of T2D.
They were never told they didn’t have to be hungry to accomplish this.

The protocol from which the study group, 57 of the original 280 were selected:

The Diabetes Remission Clinical Trial (DiRECT): protocol for a cluster randomised trial

Just another low calorie weight loss diet.

I consider the participants to be victims.

(bulkbiker) #5

I agree completely…

Interesting though that the study designers Profs Taylor and Lean tested for ketones in the early trials… they obviously knew something.

Bit like pre bariatric surgery diets testing for ketones too… if only the victim had continued with the pre-op diet!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #6

Since they were dealing with diabetics, they may have been looking out for ketoacidosis.

(Bunny) #7

Harmine a plant in the Middle East can actually re-generate new pancreatic beta cells (tyrosine-regulated kinase 1A (DYRK1A) - TGFβSF)?

At least its potential to help type 1 diabetics would be incredible if it really works?

Likewise in the above cited study at the beginning of the thread they are just happy the weight loss is helping increase functionality of pancreatic beta cells?

I was also reading vitamin B-6 can help create new beta cells on the human pancreas or is a co-factor in the above referenced mapped out gene pathway in question?

References:

[1] “…Harmine, also known as banisterine and as telepathine, a fluorescent harmala alkaloid belonging to the beta-carboline family of compounds. It occurs in a number of different plants, most notably the Middle Eastern plant harmal or Syrian rue and the South American vine Banisteriopsis caapi. …” …Wikipedia

[2] CHEMICAL IN AYAHUASCA HAS POTENTIAL TO TREAT DIABETES

[3] Diabetes: New drug cocktail increases human beta cell proliferation at rapid rates

[4] Novel drug candidate regenerates pancreatic cells lost in diabetes

Stories of Mice and Humen and Insulin - Rebuild the Pancreas Function
(bulkbiker) #8

Unlikely as all were T2’s