Weight loss stall after only a few weeks

I have been doing Keto for almost a month and now I’m confused of whether or not I am still doing it right. Within the first two weeks I lost almost 10 pounds, which is obviously great. Since then however, I haven’t lost anything and I am beginning to feel bloated again.

My meals usually consist of turkey bacon and avocado at lunch with some cheese and then something different for dinner most days. Usually if I feel like a snack I’ll grab a piece of cheese.

The colour on the pee sticks is also all over the place. Just today it read moderate to high and by lunch it was only a trace according to the colour.

Any advice would be appreciated. I’m not sure if I’m having too much protein but I’m fairly certain I haven’t been going over 25 net carbs a day. The first week or so I definitely had Keto flu and my teeth were achy which I read was a side affect. since then I haven’t had any side affects which I know might seem good but I could feel it was working!

(MelissaH) #2

Are you tracking your macros on something like cronometer? Try upping your fat, and decreasing the cheese.

I have been using an app to track. I never go over my carbs or calories, sometimes go over protein and I’m having a very hard time hitting my fat targets. I have read however that as long as I am getting 50-60 g of fat a day that should be fine.

(MelissaH) #4

This is what my macros are for weight loss. I’m 39, 5’6", and 148lbs
Total calories 1443
Protein 86g
Fat 112g
Carbs 20g or less
Try fatty cut of meat, regular bacon is a good place to start😉 eggs, avo, butter, bacon,
If you drink coffee BPC is another way to increase fat

(Amy Ramadan) #5

The best thing I can say is try mixing it up and see what works for you as everyone is different!! Also, fasting is a great way to get things going as well!! Good luck!!

(Lonnie Hedley) #6

No wonder you’re not losing. Your body is clinging to the small amount it’s getting. Eat more fat. More calories period.

I don’t eat any pork which is why I have been sticking to turkey bacon! Also I’m not too sure what BPC is but I usually have a medium coffee with half a tablespoon of cream.

(MelissaH) #8

@Amy_R0922 I agree with the fasting! I changed up my two meals a day to one and lost 3 lbs last week! Energy was amazing!!

For about two weeks I have been fasting and I read that a good place to start is just by skipping breakfast. So normally I won’t eat later than 9 p.m. and eat lunch around 12:30 then next day at lunch. Should I extend this?

(MelissaH) #10

Bullet proof coffee is butter, coconut oil(I use MCT oil instead as it disappears in the coffee, amazon) cream. It’s a fat coffee. I have two cups every morning which equals 500 calories all from fat. It keeps me full all day long!

I will give that a try…I have never had butter in my coffee lol. Am I ok to have that while fasting?

(MelissaH) #12

It sure is, your not fat adapted yet so make sure your getting enough. Maybe try a keto macro calculator. If you don’t eat pork try fatty beef and chicken. I have been fat fasting all day for a week. I have my morning fat coffee and then I eat dinner between 5-7. Change things up and get your electrolytes in. Very important!

(MelissaH) #13

Putting butter in my coffee was hard for me to wrap my mind around too at first! Now I love it. I’m not a fan of coconut oil in coffee, thats why I do MCT oil.

I’ll definitely give it a try…I don’t love the idea of it. I’m not really a fan of butter but I can see how it is an easy way to get fat in on keto! Should I be concerned that my levels have been fluctuating a lot or is that normal on keto?

(MelissaH) #15

Some people just have ease into the amount of fat. We have been taught our whole lives to avoid fat. It’s a mindset. The fat is what keeps you satiated on keto. Before keto I was practically vegan HCLF so it was a huge change for me. I feel better than ever… just have patience and ask us questions if need to

(Ken) #16

During the initial adaptation period, if in doubt, eat more fat!

last question for now…can I continue to get fat from cheese? I am reading in some places that too much dairy is no good, but that it is fine so long as you are not exceeding calories. Should I cut down on cheese? It’s pretty much the only snack I’ve been eating whether its string cheese, la vache qui rit or babybell.

(MelissaH) #18

For some cheese slows weight loss. It’s hard to limit also. Cheese is an inflammatory food. Try to eat larger meals so you don’t need to snack. Hard to give it I know! When I eliminated most dairy I started losing again.

I will try that out this week. Thank you:)

I change my mind, I’m back for another question. Do you just make your coffee and add the butter and coconut oil/mct oil? can you add flavorings or will this impact the results?