Weight Lifting energy

I’ve been weight lifting all of my life and since starting a Keto lifestyle 5 months ago, I’ve lost a lot of my bulk. Lost 25 pounds.
I was a beefy guy. I’m leaner now and I like it, but I can’t seem to lift as much weight and I never seem to have the same amount of energy that I had before Keto.

Are there any other weight lifters out there that can offer some advice?
Do you still take any creatine or pre workout drinks? What do you eat before you workout?
Thank you.

(Ron) #2

Maybe @Rgbigun can chime in here. He would be one to answer this.:muscle:

I usually do a scoop of whey isolate, 8 oz coffee, and a tablespoon of MCT as my pre-workout. Creatine is good if you are a responder.

I found that my performance didn’t return until I started ramping up my protein, I’m at 1g/lb LBM + 25g in my pre-workout on lifting days.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #4

You probably need more protein. Benjamin Bikman recommends 1.0-2.0 g / kg LBM / day, so there’s plenty of room for more.

(CharleyD) #5

Personally creatine is a must for me, and all I do is calisthenics, taekwondo, and strenuously walk :wink:

(Chris) #6

I train fasted at 4 am, and I’ve found increasing my cardio capacity has helped me when I get gassed early in a lifting workout.

As little as 10 minutes of light bike, or a session of prowler pushes, or a round of jump rope each day and you’ll have a better time.

I do caffeine before each workout too, but that’s more because it’s so damn early. I tried training in a fed state, my stomach didn’t agree with it. So, like others said, eat more meat, get plenty of rest, and increase your cardio endurance because that has direct relation to your endurance in the weight room.

I don’t eat food pre workout (I’m in at 0500) , but I have my Coffee and a pre workout, my protein blend (Whey, Cassein, Egg, Milk) either pre or post and a post workout. Both my pre and post have creatine in them with some other goodies. As well as a cassein shake at night before bed minus my rest days. Your muscles do fat adapt after a while and the energy can be faked until they do. When I’m REALLY beat and know that I’ll have a piss poor workout I’ll take some exogenous ketones and up and out I go. Also if you’re lifting make sure your protein intake is adequate. You’re not going to eat the typical sub 100g of protein when you’re lifting. I’m usually around 150-175g most lifting days, you’ll want to play with that to see what your body likes.

You one of those public park lurking psychos that do muscle ups like it’s a sit up? Friggen calisthenics makes you a whole different type of strong!

(CharleyD) #9

haha, no, my pullup bar is upstairs where no one but me goes, and I only do the calisthenics at home, with all the lights off, so no one sees my secret shame, of only being able to lift one car at a time. :rofl::joy::sweat_smile: