Weighing Daily

(Ellen ) #42

Lol. That’s great. So funny. The elections make me gain weight too. :blush:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #43

My scale is so erratic that I’ve (mostly) learned to ignore it. I do jump on it while naked and waiting for the shower water to warm up, but the results are so variable, depending where on the floor I put the scale, and how I stand on it, that I do it more for giggles these days, than because it’s useful information.

The variation in reported weight spans about 25 pounds, and if I don’t like the first reading, I can usually get it to go down. I have also lost as much as eight pounts by showering. Also gained four pounds during a shower, once.

More mysteriously, a few months ago my scale started reporting that I had gained 35 pounds (16 kg) overnight. I never did find the explanation, but the readings were consistent, and they returned to my normal range over a period of two weeks, so it appears that something real had happened. My clothes at the time felt no tighter than normal, so I have no idea what could have been going on. One the other hand, I have had shirts and trousers get tighter and looser, while my weight has, to all appearances, remained stable. Go figure!

I finally got tired of manipulating the lowest reading possible from my scale, becase it was underreporting my weight by about 25 pounds (checked on a properly-calibrated balance scale). I get a much more realistic number by putting the scale on a flat part of the bathroom floor, and by not trying to manipulate my position.

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #44

This made me laugh out loud but only because I’d interpreted ‘jump on it’ as ‘jumping up and down on it’ - perhaps to get a different result every time you land! I think I’m a little tired…

Best Simpsons moment EVER is when Homer weighs himself day after day yet never gains on the scales despite his belly getting ever larger.

Turned out the towel rail was holding it up! :rofl:

(Bob M) #45

Interesting, as many people say eating later is bad. But like you, if I eat dinner too early, I get hungry.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #46

Yeah, yeah. I can’t get on board with time restricted eating. I eat breakfast, lunch at work and a late dinner. I’m on my feet all day. This way I don’t snack but I am hungry before each meal and so I feed myself. Sometimes I skip a meal but usually this is when I’m hungry, so I eat. Sometimes a bunch, sometimes not so much. I quit when I’m satisfied.

(Joey) #47

@PaulL Wow, now THAT’s one crummy scale. Tossing it in the trash would result in a “non-scale victory” :wink:

But that sort of approach to measurement reminds me of the optimist saying the glass is half-full, the pessimist saying the glass is half-empty, and the engineer saying that the glass is twice as large as is necessary.

(BuckRimfire) #48

The glass is always full: one-half air, one-half water.

If you think water (or beer) is always more valuable than air, you’ve obviously never been SCUBA diving!

(Ellen ) #49

I’m so glad you posted this Peta. I know you’ve had great success. I’ve had difficulty eating in a time window and often feel bad that I can’t even do TMAD. Glad I’m not alone.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #50

We can’t be the only two, Ellen!

(Ellen ) #51

Lol…hope not

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #52

I’ve never understood that linking. “The glass is only half-full,” says the pessimist; “No, look,” says the optimist, “it’s only half-empty.”

It’s not a matter of virtue, or lack thereof; it’s biochemistry. Instead of thinking “I should(shouldn’t),” think “I’m listening to my body! Who ever does that anymore? Yay, me!”

I weigh myself twice daily (once in the morning and once before bed). I’m on maintenance so it just helps keep me on track. As a result, I’ve been able to maintain the same weight for the last 8 months.

I’m not obsessive about it, nor does it make me stress. If I’m a little underweight I eat a bit more, if I go a little over, I eat a little less. If I’m away from the scales for a few days, I just err on the side of caution.

(Wendy) #54

I posted this picture on maintainance but it cracks me up how much a body can change in one day. I try to not let the little variableness bother me. It’s just a gravity thing right?
I just realized it’s between 1 AM and 7 AM. I doubt I’d eaten yet.