Weekend keto muffins

food

(Maj) #1

They say a diet only works for if you believe it. Well just the look of these muffins makes me smile, let alone eating them. Weekends are great particularly if I’m not counting calories but enjoying delicious mouth watering breakfast.

(Jane) #2

Care to post a recipe? Those look yummy!

(Maj) #3

Hi Jane.

Glad you like it. This is my ketofication of Nigella Lawson’s waffle recipe but I made waffles, muffins, Madeline, cake sponge and small tarts. They all turned out very well. Here’s the recipe:

Cake sponge, muffin, tart and waffle

My adaptation of Nigella Larson’s waffles

Ground blanched almond 75g
Baking powder 1 tsp
salt a pinch
Optional: Mixed spice 1 tbsp. Or other spiced that you want to add instead of mixed spice.
Mix them gently with a non-electrical hand whisker (Mix A)

Double cream 120g
large egg yolk 1 egg
Vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
Orange extract 1/2 tsp
Mixed them nicely with a hand whisker (Mix B)

Large egg white 1 egg beaten to stiff peak (Mix C)
Add Mix A to Mix B and mix them nicely with a non-electrical hand whisker or a spoon. You are expecting a thick mix but not runny (Mix D).

Add one third of the Mix C to Mix D and with a plastic or wooden spatula loosen the mix. If Mix D is runny this and next step won’t be good and sponge won’t be fluffy because you have to work hard to get it mixed.
Add the rest of the Mix C to Mix D and gently fold it with with a plastic or wooden spatula. The final mix is going to be a little thick, don’t worry but handle it gently. If Mix D is runny this and next step won’t be good and sponge won’t be fluffy because you have to work hard to get it mixed.
The mix is now ready to put in a cake tin, muffin tin/ muffin paper/waffle maker/ tart tin or any way thing you want to bake it in. Make sure you transfer the mix to the baking tin straight away once it is ready to avoid getting thicker. Try not to handle it much after it is in the tin. If you wanted to smoothen the surface, be gentle with it.

If you are going to bake it in a metal dish such as muffin tin, grease them nicely with unsalted butter first and have them ready.

For muffin, tart and cake, bake them in oven in 200 degree (fan oven perhaps 190 degree)
For waffles do as per the manual. If it is cast iron, try heat them in medium heat and bake them about 2 minutes each side.

I have tried replacing some ground almond with non-sweetend coco powder, or more ground spice and with chopped/flaked nuts and it turns out great.

Serve them with what ever you feel like it, whether it is for breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea.

Bon appetit