Week one was great, week to not so much

Hi all,

I’m exactly 2 weeks in and feel i am at bit of a standstill. While my main goal is to get my blood sugars in order i also wanted to gain some minimal weight loss. I’m 5’11.5" and started at 171 lbs and my goal was 160 lbs . During the first week i got down to 162 lbs and i was convinced Keto was a cheat code of some sort and felt like i could hit 155 lbs (so i can have some cheat days) within the week.

Then week 2 started and i have plateaued if not gained a couple pounds. The thing is i’ve followed the diet religiously and even started working out which i usually never do. So not i’m overthinking/analyzing everything.

I’m wondered if i’m consuming some hidden carbs i don’t know about. I found one today when reading nutritional info under chili. I assumed it was mostly fats and proteins but it contains 20g carbs. I discovered the 2 milk i was putting in my green tea also contains some carbs so i cut that out. Other than that i haven’t found much.

Perhaps i’m not consuming enough fats to get my body to switch its fuel from carbs to fats. So i’ve gone on an egg diet.

Only thing i’d like to add is that i like my nightly whiskey but i’ve cut out all beer and wine and fruity drinks and have the whiskey with water only (no carbs or sugars - only calories). I understand the body wants to break down alchohol first and will detract from ketosis somewhat.

This afternoon i went out and purchased a urine ketone (acetoacetate) test and read 1.5 mmol/L but could be higher (upto 4.0 mmol/L) as its not an exact number but rather a range. What should this number read if i’m in ketosis? I realize this type of test has many factors that could affect the reading such as water intake, etc.

I personally think most of the weight i lost in week one is water weight/stored carbs and moving fwd weight loss will be more gradual.

(Ashley) #2

Week one : water weight. Week two : your body is adjusting, your not going to see weightloss continued like that. It’s not a stall, your body will adjust. It’s not going to drop all the weight at once, trust me I wish it would lol. But if you stick at it overtime your body will adjust itself.

Take a deep breath…

Two weeks = you’re at the very beginning of this! You’re discovering what you can eat, starting to look into carb content, shifting to whiskey - it’s all fine, and once you’ve been at it for 6 or 8 weeks, you’ll be fat adapted and your body composition will likely start shifting (so you may or may not see that on the scale) and then you can start to really tweak things if you feel the need. It’s way too early to call this any kind of stall or to come to some big conclusions about what does or doesn’t work for you.

And, yes, initial weight loss is likely mostly water (and probably some fat), but good things will start to happen as you stick with it and keep your carbs low (under 20g net is usually the magic number). If you’re already getting readings in ketosis, you’re on your way.

Side note: exercise is fantastic - I’m a huge fan - but sometimes it’s tricky to start keto and exercise at the same time. Personally I would stick with resistance work a few times/week plus walking just until you’re fat adapted.