Week 2 - 1lb gain

Greetings! I am finishing up with week 2 and I have gained 1lb. I did Keto last year and I steadily lost 2lbs every week for 10 weeks. I am staying at 20 net carbs or below, 80-90g protein and 100-110g fat and 1200-1400 calories every day. I tested my ketones and the strip shows moderate. I am 37, 5’9 and weigh 169lbs. I am very discouraged considering last years weight loss. Has anyone else experienced a gain 2 weeks in? I was expecting to lose at least water weight.

(Allie) #2

Normal. Weight loss is not linear, it goes up and down.

(Scott) #3

Was last years weight loss on a keto WOE?

(Carl Keller) #4

Hi Coco.

Weight loss is lot like climbing hills that lead to a valley we are trying to get to. Sometimes we have to climb up for a short time before we start going down again but as long as we keep going in the right direction we are bound to keep making progress.

You’re much better off measuring in months or even not measuring at all. All a number on a scale does is tell you your relationship with gravity. People often lose fat and notice it in their clothes even though the scale doesn’t agree.

Yes, last year I did Keto too. I am eating the same foods as last year too.

Thank you for your response! I did take measurements so I will hold off on stepping on the scale until the one month mark. I am exercising more than last time so my expectations were a bit higher.

(Allie) #7

You’ve got to bear in mind that your body is always changing too, so just because things worked in the past doesn’t mean the same things will work this time. Best to forget what you did before and get back to the absolute basics to find out what works for you and your body right now.

(bulkbiker) #8

Muscle gain?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #9

It might not work that way, how much exercise and how often? Too much can hinder your progress at the beginning.

Exercise generally makes you hungrier so you’ll want to eat more, but exercise doesn’t burn as many calories as you might think. I pumped away hard for 20 minutes on a exercise machine that is a full body cardio workout and it said I burned like 60 calories or something so exercise won’t help much with losing fat now.

It helps build muscle and helps burn fat after you’re fat adapted and accessing your body fat for fuel. When you’re burning your own fat the exercise won’t cause the hunger that can result before you start to be fat adapted. Exercise also causes the release of cortisol which also works against the weight loss process.

Stay active walking, swimming, play sports, work in the yard and loose weight. As you start getting nearer your goal with fat loss fasting and working out will get you to your best goal expectations I believe. :cowboy_hat_face: