Week 1 of keto - so hungry and thirsty - any tips?!

(Nikki Rejman) #1

I just started keto I’m on day 7, I tried following my normal calorie deficit (1800 calories) but I can’t do it I just feel so hungry all the time and end up going over it. I’m eating enough fat and protein and vegetables… is there anything that will help will the hunger? I’m also extremely thirsty I feel like i get dehydrated if I don’t drink water every 5 minutes, is this normal?

(Ellen) #2

First off, don’t work to a deficit, you’re going to feel hungry whilst your body runs out of glucose and starts trying to use fats as fuel, eat plenty of fatty stuff and make sure your carbs are under 20g.
Have you been using ketoaide? It helps with your electrolytes, check out the below for more info & recipe.

(the cheater) #3

You should post as complete of a food diary as you can - we can’t help until we know what you’re doing right/wrong - and we want to help :slight_smile:

(LeeAnn Brooks) #4

Yes, eat more. You shouldn’t be hungry on Keto. Forget calories.

(Nikki Rejman) #5

Today I ate:
3 egg omelette with mushrooms, onions, turkey bacon and cheddar cheese cooked in olive oil

Burrito bowl with ground beef, lettuce, tomato, sourcream and guacamole

Nupasta with garlic butter, Parmesan and shrimp

Snacks: almonds, havarti cheese and a protein shake
Drinks: two zero cal zero sugar sprites

(Nikki Rejman) #6

I also added a teaspoon of mct oil to the burrito bowl. And this is my typical day of eating, I’m eating around 2000 calories… still feeling dizzy, light headed, bloated and very thirsty

(LeeAnn Brooks) #7

The dizzy and lightheaded feeling is most likely your electrolytes. Get more sodium for sure and possibly magnesium and potassium. But careful with the potassium as too much can be dangerous.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #8

Actually, lack of sodium can also cause bloating.

(Nikki Rejman) #9

I forgot to mention that I use a lot of sea salt in my cooking! So maybe potassium could be the issue

(Christopher Bonci) #10

It many be painful depending on how much a soda fan you are, but sometimes the fake sweeteners can actually stoke your hunger. You could try cutting those out and see how you do and really try and keep up on your water. The first week or two are the worst but there are better things to come if you can stick with it.

(Alec) #11

Nikki
Like everyone else, I would suggest that you eat more fat and electrolytes. Feeling weird at the start of keto is common, don’t let it concern you. You just need to go with it.

I am not familiar with nupasta, I see it’s low carb, but is it processed? I would recommend that in the early days of keto you try to stick to real foods, and maximise the fat. If you are hungry, eat fat.

(Karolina ) #12

I’ve started Keto 2 weeks and 3 days (it’s been so hard bc I am sugar addicted) and yes, the 1st week I was so thirsty that I’ve drinked 18 glass of water (mostly herbs) each day. Last week I did fasting for 28 hours (I’ve almost died) and I’m not thirsty at all. The weird thing is everyone here talk about energy (wich dropped), and I’m still sleepy during the day… . Just I’ve dropped 5 pounds (which is nothing for me. Always happen when I stop eating carbs, pastries and quit partying with alcohol).
I am 5.7 and I was on 145 two weeks ago, today after 1,280 net cal consumed and 101gr of fat, I’m still hungry but not thirsty but I’ ve lost 5 pounds… :woman_facepalming:t2:

(Nikki Rejman) #13

I’ll definitely try cutting out the drinks, thanks!

(Nikki Rejman) #14

So the more fat I eat the better? Even if I’m going over my calorie maintenance?

(Alec) #15

It’s not quite the more the better, it is eat fat if you are hungry. When you are no longer hungry, stop eating fat. Don’t worry about calories right now. You need to eat, and not feel hungry. The 3rd keto rule is eat fat to satiety.

(Laura) #16

What is nupasta

(Nikki Rejman) #17

A brand of pasta made from konjac plant! Nupasta is just what it’s called in Canada

(Jane) #18

H[quote=“Leon_Espanol, post:12, topic:49676”]
The weird thing is everyone here talk about energy (wich dropped), and I’m still sleepy during the day… .
[/quote]

The first couple of weeks can be rough. Drinking the ketoaid will help and even though you salt your food you may need more.

The energy boost comes after you are fat-adapted and your body has converted over from running on carbs to running on fat. That takes anywhere from 6 weeks to several months - everyone is different. If you have done a lot of yo-yo dieting it make take awhile to repair the damage you have done to your metabolism.

For now, eat and don’t be hungry and fahgettabout the scale. This WOE heals you and the weight loss will come naturally if you stick with the < 20 carbs and don’t overdo the protein. You will stall. You may lose inches when the scale doesn’t budge.

We call the scale “the lying liar who lies”.

(Nikki Rejman) #19

I just googled the recipe for ketoaid… do I need to have lite salt or can I use normal sea salt, I live in Canada and I’m pretty sure we don’t have mortons lite salt

(Bacon4Lyf) #20

People use lite-salt for the potassium. Sea salt has only trace amounts of potassium. I’m not in Canada but I googled ‘lite-salt in Canada’ and found that it’s called nu-salt or half-salt, and can be found at local independent grocers, with the other salts and spices. I don’t know if online is available to you but Amazon has it. Or this one https://www.lowcarbcanada.ca/products/nusalt-salt-substitute-3-oz.