Wax Beans

(Richard Levy) #1

I don’t see anything in the Forum talking about Wax Beans.

I use wax beans as a pasta substitute. The entire can, which make one substantial meal, has 7 net carbs.

I saute them first in olive oil, along with half a small onion(chopped), and then finish it with some butter. Then I add cheese and and put it in an ceramic baking dish, add some additional cheese to make a crusty top, and put in the toaster oven for around 10 minutes. Very satisfying.

(Poul Visby) #2

Hi, In my country “wax beans” is a product used to remove unwanted hair! Not something you eat.
Can you explain in other words what “wax beans” (the eatable kind) is ?

(Carl Keller) #3

I’ve never heard of or noticed wax beans in my grocery store. I looked them up and they do seem keto friendly so I’ll look for them next trip to the store because I like trying new things. But I will probably pass if i only find them in cans. I’ve been eating fresh or frozen for the last six months and I prefer to keep it that way.

(Bunny) #4

I am eating those right now as I type…lol

Love wax beans! Like to eat them with a dash vinegar

(Carol E. ) #5

(Wendy) #6

They grow very easily if your into gardening. I love fresh wax beans and haven’t had any in a while.

(Carl Keller) #7

I love to grow things but I have limited space that gets good amounts of sunlight. I’ve already decided to try my hand with heirloom tomatoes this year. I might even actually eat some of the tomatoes I grow this year instead of giving them to my neighbors.

(Doug) #8

:sunglasses: Beautiful, Carl. A good ripe tomato is hard to beat.

(Carl Keller) #9

@OldDoug If you’ve never tried a heirloom, it’s the filet mignon of tomatoes. :slight_smile:

(Wendy) #10

I have a shady yard so I really understand. I love growing tomatoes in pots so I can move them from time to time.
And yes, do eat some. They are SO delicious!

(Richard Levy) #11

I think Wax Beans are often used in a three bean salad.

The are much milder than green beans, which is why they make a good pasta substitute.

I always sauté them first to dry them out a bit and to add flavor.