Water in Food leading to Headaches while Fasting

newbies
fasting
food
extendedfast

(Melissa R. Knive) #1

Hi Everyone!

I’m from Calgary, AB, Canada and I’m somewhat pre-diabetic (1st test done, confirmation I’m avoiding) & likely over 80 Lbs overweight. I have done a few short-term fasts but am about to do a longer-term fast of at least 2 weeks, barring complications. I’ve been trying to figure out how to get at the root of the headaches I get when I start fasting. I came across a few videos and articles talking about just how much water is in our food - so, aside from a typical addiction symptom (and my personal history of head injury), this could be why it is SO COMMON to get headaches when we fast! What do you think? How much water do we need if we aren’t getting something like half of our water in our food?

(Chris W) #2

Ok so are you keto and if so how long have you been so.
If so do you know how far along you are?(keto adapted, fat adapted, new to fasting etc)
If you don’t how many weeks are you in the WOE(way of eating)
If you are not keto, well then that can explain the headaches, which would be from multiple sources possibly more than one at once.
I don’t get much if any water from my food, per say, but that is me.

The headaches are typically from electrolyte loss and dehydration. When your insulin levels drop (from fasting and/or keto diet) and you stop retaining fluid/electrolytes - and they both get dumped like crazy. Hence the thirst which can be significant. So between the fluid loss (dehydration) and electrolyte loss - both will give you headaces. That is why you will see lots of comments related to salt - including adding it to your water/tea/coffee and putting a few grains on your tongue. Re: amount of water to drink - drink when thirsty and it may be way, way more than you are used to (several litres/day). And add salt. Go to the Zorn fast section in the forum and Brenda has a recipe for KetoAide for electrolyte replacement.

(Melissa R. Knive) #4

I absolutely agree which is why I eat olives & other salty things before fasting, hydrate, and then (when I am fasting) I drink a couple litres of water a day, but I’m thinking I probably need more since most vegetables, meat, and fruit have 70-90% water. I’ll head to the Zorn section now!!!

(Jay AM) #5

Are you new to keto?

(Melissa R. Knive) #6

New-ish… I’ve been studying Jason Fung’s research for a while but just recently started the 2KetoDudes and this forum. I’ve done several short-term fasts and am starting a longer fast on Sunday.

(Rob) #7

The expert opinion consensus seems to be more set on 20% from food and 80% from beverages in the average diet but the % thing is meaningless since it has nothing to do with how much water you either do or should consume.
I know for me, it is nowhere near 50% (all cooked foods, often tending to the crispy) so cutting food has a negligible impact on my hydration levels. A little more to drink would make up for it easily. With keto being diuretic, most of us drink more than we did and more than others making sure that very few get much of their hydration from food.
As others say, headaches typically come from electrolyte imbalance - keto-ade and keto on!

(Jay AM) #8

If you are less than 6-8 weeks into keto or, not fat adapted, fasts aren’t recommended. I’m not sure why water in food would be the thing you pinpoint as headache inducing. Unless you mean there isn’t enough? The likely answers are not being able to use ketones effectively, dehydration, low electrolytes, carb withdrawal (low blood sugar without replacement fuel), hunger, or a mix of the group. If I were going to check symptoms in order and insisted on fasting, I’d work on making sure I was fat adapted, getting enough water and electrolytes, listening to my body regarding hunger signals, and making sure to watch for hidden carbs or insulin response from sweeteners when not fasting. If you also use caffeine regularly and cut it during fasting, it can be another cause. Definitely check the fasting threads out.