Was I running fasted before keto?

running

(Gavin Hope) #1

Hi, I’ve just started my keto journey; I’m 10 days in.

I do a fair amount of running, and I train for the 10k distance (37 yrs old, PB = 39:13). I’m looking forward to seeing how running feels once I get going again…

This term/phrase of doing things “fasted” is new to me. In one of the other posts about running, someone mentioned doing their runs in the morning, so maybe a 10-12 hour fast…

So, I also do the vast majority of my runs in the morning. I get up and then run, without eating. Pre-keto, when I was eating carbs, would people consider this to be a “fasted” run?

How long does that glycogen hang around?

Thanks,
Gavin

(ianrobo) #2

yes it is a fasted run but the difference is length of time for the run, for example I can now do a 4-5 hour fasted ride, so can you do a 90 min run fasted ?

(Gavin Hope) #3

Thanks @ianrobo, that makes sense.

So - prior to starting keto the majority of my runs were between 40 mins and 60 mins - so didn’t really push up against 90 mins (occasionally did longer runs at weekend, but maybe after breakfast).

As for now? I haven’t tested it yet. I’m two weeks in now, but started this keto transition during a rest period (achilles tendon problem)… I’m just starting to run again, easing back into it, so it will be a while before I’m pushing the 90 minute mark.

One of the things I’m interested to try/learn about: is it easier to plan/time runs without having to think about nutrition (e.g. carb loading)… from what I’ve read from others, it seems that it will be easier to do endurance work in a fasted state :wink:

Thanks,
Gavin

(ianrobo) #4

correct Gavin on that, no need to worry or prep. If only two weeks in then the injury in this case is good.

I would start to extend the fasted runs when you think you are keto adapted and within a few runs of longer and longer time fasted you will see the massive difference.