Warning for people with COVID19! πŸ˜±πŸ˜±πŸ’€β˜ 

(Keto Koala 🐨) #1

Hi guys. I’m just posting some new info that was just posted to me about Corona. I have the virus, some of you already know. I’ve had it for weeks and not getting any better. In some ways worse. I wondered why. I ran out of paracetamol and was so sick that to try to bring fevers down and stop the pain in my throat I took ibruprofen because that’s all I have. Then I get sent this info from my Grandpa. I had no damn idea. This could be why I’m so sick. It’s important info. So I thought I would share it. Hope your all safe and not going too nuts.:heart::heart::heart::heart:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #2

('Jackie P') #3

Bless you @Bubby1, you have been unwell for a long time now, and always give us a cheery word. Your good spirit shines through.
There are quite a few scare stories on the web about coronivirus. We always tend to tell asthmatics to avoid NSAIDS as in a percentage of people they can worsen respiratory symptoms.
I found this article that puts things into perspective.

Avoid Ibuprofen but try not to overstress.
I really do wish you well Bubby. Take care, I hope you are being looked after. Xx😌

(Keto Koala 🐨) #4

@CrackerJax awwww Thanks. Thats really very sweet.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I will have a looksie at that. That msg meant a lot to me. Sometimes I get really down and sad but I have a bubbly soul and I guess I try to make it shine through. I hope your well. Your meals look Devine.:heart_eyes:. Big hugs :kissing_heart::heart::heart::heart:

('Jackie P') #5

It’s hard for the most resilient of us not to get down at the moment. But to actually have this horrid illness must be so distressing.
Take care, and stay with us :kissing_heart:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #6

@CrackerJax :kissing_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::heart::heart: Thanks lovely.

(JJ) #7

Take care, hope you start to improve soon

(Keto Koala 🐨) #8

@JulesyMcJulesface Thankyou :heart::heart::heart:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

When I was diagnosed with asthma, I was told to avoid aspirin and beta blockers. I don’t seem to react to aspirin (though I continue to avoid it, as instructed), but beta blockers definitely aggravate my asthma.

The doctors have never told me to avoid other NSAID’s, which is a good thing, because over the years I have needed quantities of acetaminophen and ibuprofen, both of which I have fortunately been able to take with no problem. This has been a real mercy, because I loathe the effect that opiods have on my mental abilities.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

This warning is a classic example of the statistician’s warning that β€œcorrelation does not imply causality.” To know whether the presence of the ibuprofen harmed the patients who died, we would need more information, plus some idea of the mechanism that caused the damage. The warning shown in the post looks highly questionable, because it seems intended more to cause panic, rather than to elucidate risk.

That said, apparently it is indeed possible that ibuprofen might aggravate a coronavirus infection, and researchers are looking into the matter. Unfortunately, there are no solid data yet. It might be the cautious thing to do to avoid this drug until we know more.

Be advised, however, that non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, in particular acetaminophen and ibuprofen, can cause liver, kidney, and stomach damage, unless carefully used. Aspirin also affects blood clotting, which is why a low daily dose is advised for people at risk of stroke or heart attack. So anyone using these drugs should be careful about using them in the first place, quite apart from any effect they might have on coronavirus.

('Jackie P') #11

Yes the percentage is small. I have had many a … discussion with junior Drs about the level of risk!

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #12

Bubbly1, wow ! I take Ibuuprofen all the time. This is really good to know.

BTW, I’m sorry if you already mentioned this, but are you considering hydrachloriquin and or zinc ? What are yours and your Dr’s feeling on this ???

Get well soon !

(Susan) #13

I have been hoping and praying that this all heals up for you soon, and that your fever starts to go down, as it really concerns me. Take care, big hugs, and get to the hospital if it doesn’t get better!!

(Keto Koala 🐨) #14

@Momof5 @FishChris Thank you :heart::heart::heart:

Get better B!!! Sending prayers your way to feel better faster!!!

(Doug) #16

Snopes had ~10,000 inquiries during the last two weeks in March. :smile:

(KCKO, KCFO) #17

Sorry to hear you caught it. Hope you get well soon.
Any idea how you picked it up? Air travel, big concert, etc???

The latest 2ketodudes podcast also talked about no ibruprofen for the fever. http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=200

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

I consulted about ibuprofen and the virus with my sister, who is a public health worker at an international aid organisation. Her take is that the correlation has been noticed in hospitals in France, but there is unfortunately no clear evidence yet, one way or the other, that taking ibuprofen hastened the deaths of the patients in question. It may take several years of research to tease out the answer to this question and to elucidate the mechanism by which ibuprofen might cause problemsβ€”if it in fact does so.

She also stresses that the issue is ibuprofen taken by people already ill from the virus. Ibuprofen does not appear to increase our risk of catching the virus in the first place, so it appears to be safe pre-infection. It is only during the infection that there could be a problem. She also says that the authorities are trying to tread the fine line between alarmism, on the one hand, and failure to warn of a potential problem, on the other.

These are tough times, friends. Just do the best you can to stay safe, and try to remain calm.

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

I heard nothing about deaths. Just that you need your body to fight off the fever as much as possible.

Yes, it is a confusing time for everyone, everywhere currently. Stay healthy.

(Samuel Ashford) #20

So sorry to hear that you are not well. I am happy you are in ketosis, as I’m sure that having a superior metabolism has its benefits even now. I would only say that I agree with the majority here, that if you can do without the NSAIDS in the first place, it’s probably best. Please get well soon!