Walden farm syrups

Hi dear,

Another question about keto-friendly and knocking out of ketosis after fasting 20:4.

I have a couple of walden farms syrups like these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=walden+farms+chocolate&client=ms-android-samsung-gs-rev1&prmd=sivn&sxsrf=ACYBGNRLgX_onyUGK_lSwmVzl_grT4tMug:1579257114941&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjU--Cat4rnAhVPJ1AKHTKrCOoQ_AUoAnoECA8QAg&biw=360&bih=619&dpr=3#imgrc=aj8TYIhN-CgIOM

I love to add to my yoghurt after a fast. But the question is. Is it keto friendly enough?

(Windmill Tilter) #2

I’ve been to Walden Pond in Massachusetts, the site of Henry David Thoreau’s cabin in his transcendentalist masterpiece “Walden”. It’s a state park now. This was a few years ago, but while I saw erythitol growing practically under every fern, I saw no sucralose growing anywhere in the region.

All joking aside, while that syrup looks like a chemistry experiment, I don’t see any ingredients that would be enough to kick you out of ketosis. What makes you think that it did?

The yogurt is a more likely culprit. How many carbs are in the yogurt? What else do you have with the breakfast?

I mean, technically, it is keto friendly. Some people eat sucralose with no I’ll effects while some experience a stall with it. You may have to test and see if it adversely affects your blood sugars or kicks you out of ketosis. In small amounts (say once or twice a month), it’s possibly ok.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

If you can tolerate sucralose and enjoy the flavor go for it. Try it and see how you react.

It is a good idea to go easy on dairy and eggs after fasting. You want something fatty like dressing on small salad, a serving of olives, or if nuts don’t cause you an issue a serving of those, and a regular keto meal about a half hour later.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

My general rule of thumb is if there are more than 4 ingredients, I get suspicious. Especially when multiple ingredients are assorted polysaccharide ‘gums’. I agree with @Don_Q this stuff looks like chemistry lab experiments, not food.

If you want chocolate flavour either add a little crushed or flaked cacao butter (best option) or sprinkle on some unsweetened cocoa powder. Blueberry flavour, throw in a few blueberries and mash them. If you can get an unflavoured, low carb, 10% yoghurt, you can add whipping cream to make it 20%. I love yoghurt and don’t look at anything less than 10%. For example, this stuff has less than 3 grams of carbs per 100 grams of yoghurt. When I use it as a base to make 20%, I add grated cacao butter and whipping cream for the additional fat.

Oh. My. Goodness. I love(d) Liberte :relieved: I’m off dairy right now but that stuff was delicious!

I just want to know if walden farm sauces are acceptable. The yogurt that I eat is from Alpro and contains 0 carbohydrates. See:

https://www.ah.nl/products/product/wi384053/alpro-mild-en-creamy-naturel-sundoing?

I fast at 20: 4 and apply OMAD including yogurt with walden farms. If it raise my insuline it will be back in ketose the day after.

(Windmill Tilter) #8

They look fine.

There are some people for whom artificial sweeteners spike their blood sugar, but the only way to know for sure is to test with a glucose meter. If you’ve never had a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners in the past, you should be fine.