Wait a Min, What's Going on Here?! Pork ribs versus

(Davy) #1

…versus boneless rib meat. I bought some pork ribs 2 days ago and out of curiosity bought some boneless pork at the same time. This morning I cut off what was supposed to be 12 oz of the pork ribs and ate them. (sort of thinking I’d be getting 12 oz of pork meat) After eating, I realized I hadn’t eaten but maybe 3 or 4 oz of meat. Then I looked at the boneless package of 16 oz. It was all meat, no bones. Seems I got a whole lot more bang for the buck buying the boneless.
Is this right? Boneless gives you more meat for less $ ? Seems a scam then. lol

bones have weight.

they are included in cost. weight per lb. bones have weight therefore you pay for the bone.

I buy boneless mostly to not pay for the bone cost in that nasty price per lb. we all hate in our good meats LOL

but some meats I want that bone. taste difference in that the bone makes it better. bone in pork chops delish…cut from bone pork which is ‘boneless’ actually tastes ickier to me. not as much flavor.

Ribeye steak bone in and boneless. Tastes the same to me…so buy boneless and save money paying for something I won’t gnaw down and eat.

crazy for me…maybe HAHA

(Elizabeth ) #3

When I find good quality baby back ribs at $3 a pound like I have this week, a small slab is $7 and it’s so fatty that I get two meals out of it.

(Davy) #4

Well obviously. Just had to have someone confirm this. I’m very new to buying red meat, having been brainwashed for the past 35 years, so boneless it is! Another American con, paying for the bones! :innocent: At Christmas party, they served prime rib. I thought no big deal, I’d rather have pork barbque meat. For me, prime rib didn’t taste anywhere as good as most people say. To each his own.
I still don’t know the diff. btw prime rib and ribeye…I asked the resident expert there at the party, and he said yes, they are quite different, prime rib tastes different and is a much better cut. At the meat dept other day, I asked the same question to the meat mgr, and they said they’re the same, essentially no difference. Hmmmm.

(Elizabeth ) #5

they’re the same piece of meat, prime rib is usually left on the bone and cooked as a roast whereas ribeye is cut into steaks and grilled or fried or cooked in other way. You will have a different flavor though because of the cooking method

(Scott) #6

Sometimes I like the handle to knaw the meat off of.
I used to get the Filet Mignon but now that fat is back in style I tend to get the ribeye these days.

LOL I did confirm LOL

(Full Metal KETO AF) #8

Davy another thing is there’s a lot of difference between pork labeled as ribs. Baby back ribs are completely different than country style ribs which aren’t really ribs at all, just a word marketing scam. Country style ribs are pork loin trimmed from it’s bone often, the portion on the back close to the shoulder along the spine on the outside of the rib cage. So yeah, just get them boneless for better value.

Quite different texturally from the long racks with thin long bones from the lower part of the rib cage. Country style are always cut into chunks, baby backs are in a long rack and better tasting by far. And you pay extra for that.

I can’t believe you didn’t care for prime rib, I’ll take that any day of the week over a ribeye myself. Because the rarest is the bestest and prime rib is only cooked from the outside with the whole inner area still good and red as it should be. Just a lot more work than cooking a steak. :cowboy_hat_face:

Soup/Broth bones cost more than hamburger. I buy bone-in Rib Roast just to have the bones for broth.