Vodka and club soda

Is it Keto friendly?

(Robin) #2

Depends on your definition of friendly…

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #3

The way to tell is to look at the carb content. Club soda is carbonated water with a little salt, so it is zero carbs. As for the vodka, you’d have to check. I don’t drink, so I can’t say for sure, but my understanding is that hard liquor is pretty low in carbohydrate.

Be warned, however. I’ve seen posts on these forums from people who found that their tolerance for alcohol dropped noticeably on keto, so that they had to limit their alcohol consumption.

(Joey) #4

Not as a breakfast beverage. But otherwise, if you’re going to consume alcohol in moderation, it’s right up there with red wine. :+1:

Aside from the carb issue - vodka per se is carb-free unless flavoured or mixed with something - I think there are two primary concerns about drinking ethanol. First, it’s energy value: at 7 kcals per gram the calories can add up fast, so you need to consider the amount as part of your daily energy intake. Second, your liver will preferentially metabolize ethanol over anything else - so nothing else gets processed until the ethanol is disposed of. In addition, in anything more than very small amounts ethanol can cause undesirable side effects - like fatty liver disease.

(Joey) #6

GOVERNMENT WARNING: Vodka and soda can also lead to pregnancy.

:wink:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #7

All excellent, spot-on points above.

Also know that alcohol can rev up carb cravings to mutant levels while lowering inhibitions so maybe clear the house of anything vaguely binge-worthy and ban everyone from making any food runs for you. Learn from the master.

ha…:+1:

Friendly, No. No alcohol is, but much better than other choices. If you’re gonna drink it’s a half decent way to go.

Alcohol is the forgotten 4th macro. It’s 7cals per gram (which adds up very quickly) , like carbs it stops ketosis in it’s tracks until you burn it all back off, Alcohol is top prioroty for burn off and it won’t store so thats the plus.

(Bob M) #10

Guess what inhibits steatosis from alcohol? Saturated fat.

In rats:

I know there’s a human study, just can’t find it.

So, a cream drink?

I have been doing a CGM as an experiment. I found red wine had no effect on my BG. I have not tried vodka yet although I used to drink it for celebrations when I first went keto, maybe twice a month and it had no effect but I was not actively measuring anything. After awhile I realized a dirty martini tasted much better and switched to that although it is a lot of alchohol

Thank you for the link.

(Bob M) #13

I tried to do this experiment when I had my CGM. The problem was that I only have a drink at night, and that’s when my blood sugar is naturally on the way down.

Alcohol is actually supposed to decrease your blood sugar, which is one theory why cultures that drink alcohol (primarily wine) with meals have (in general) less obesity. (Though I’m sure, as always, there will be individual variation.)

This is in T1 diabetics, but they got a reduced morning blood sugar level, to the extent some went hypoglycemic:

When I had my CGM, I learned a lot. For instance, popcorn does nothing to my blood sugar level. What I thought was a “safe” soup from an Asian restaurant caused very high blood sugar. Regular pizza caused my worst blood sugar: high for a long time.

yes it is but know any time ya drink alcohol it will delay, change, screw up and more your functions but yea if you want some booze, you can easily have it. But don’t expect same expectations as one off alcohol and it not being in your weekly menu kinda thing.

many do drink some and do fine on their journey so FIND YOU in it all and go from there. real fast you will see where alcohol fits in your life as I did and so many others have :slight_smile:

all about you truly on it.

Commonly referred to as “the munchies”.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #16

I’m in Portland, Oregon, that phrase means something a little different around here.

That explains a lot. I had red wine a few times over the last month with a CGM and each time my sugar went down but I thought it was the keto meal that accompanied the wine

(Diana) #18

So related question which I haven’t seen answer for. But for 1 drink (be it a vodka soda or a glass of wine), for how long does 1 drink stop ketosis for?

I’ve seen answers vary from 1 hour to metabolize it so would assume it would be then 1 hour that ketosis is stopped and then I saw replies of upwards of 12-24 hours. So what is the actual average that ketosis is stopped for.

And then while you’re in this stage of stopped ketosis should you eat any differently?

Example, last night at dinner out I had a glass of Moet champagne (my favorite a treat). Massive headache today but let’s not even discuss that. So my question is today my plan was to eat chicken wings for my dinner. But if ketosis is stopped should I actually then try something leaner like chicken breast (as the main)?

(Diana) #19

This is the problem I think. Not the alcohol itself but post effects. Perhaps not usual, but I clearly don’t enjoy the head feeling and so tend to overeat a ton to dilute it.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

I’ve never seen data on this, so don’t know. Sorry.

I wouldn’t think so.

There have been a lot of posts over the past five years about the effects of alcohol during a ketogenic diet, and no one has suggested that it is necessary to eat differently when drinking.