Vldl vs Pattern B

(Ellie Baum) #1

Hi everyone! I’ve been on this WOE for about a year and I’ve just started learning the science.

I was talking with some friends of mine who are pharmacy students. They mentioned vldl or very low density lipoprotein. Is that at all related to Pattern B ldl? From what I understand, pattern B is the bad type, very dense and can cause plaquing when combined with inflammation. I’ve learned all my science from the keto world and they’re learning it from university so I’m wondering if we are just mixing up our terms.

Thanks!

(Michael Wallace Ellwood) #2

Pending a direct reply, Richard has written some interesting things in the forum about this area of the science.

This is one, but there are others, if you look around:

You could look down the following list and see if any topics look promising:

(Richard Morris) #3

Not really. Your liver makes big particles called VLDL (Very low density lipoproteins) to export fat to cells that use fat throughout your body. These large particles dock with cells that have the right receptors, and those cells take some of the cargo, and release the VLDLs to meet their next “buyer of fat”.

Eventually enough of the cargo is taken out that they become known as IDLs (Intermediate density lipoproteins) and then they are further drawn down until they become known as LDLs (Low density lipoproteins). And after a week they make their way back to the liver to be cleaned out of circulation.

If for any reason you don’t clear them out promptly they can become oxidized because they are travelling with oxygen rich red blood cells, they can also become gycated (caramelized) by high circulating levels of glucose - especially if you are diabetic and running higher levels.

Those sdLDLs exposed to these environmental factors are the pattern B particles. The liver won’t clear them promptly so they end up getting cleared by macrophages which are usually hanging about inflammation - which if you make a lot of insulin is in the surface of your arteries. That is why sdLDL is often found in the arterial walls making things worse.

Here’s a great video by Prof Ken Sikaris on the subject :slight_smile: