Views on light olive oil for deep frying?

Oven cleaner! Only way mine ever gets that nice gunk off when it does that. What’s weird though (not really) and that since it’s been on tallow and not veggies oils it’s not seeming to gunk up on me, at least nothing that can’t be wiped off.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #22

Mine stores the oil too, but as it’s not immersable, the outside of its coated with oil spatter and impossible to clean.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #23

I will have to try this. I’ve tried just about everything else.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #24

Sort of guilty of that. I have a plastic container I use for my bacon grease. I tend not to wait for it to cool enough and now the container is sort of shrinking on one side.

Oh well. Next time I’ll find a mason jar.

(Shayne) #25

Yes, mason jars are GREAT for bacon grease. And since you don’t wait for it to cool, put a butter knife in the jar before you pour to reduce the chance of the glass breaking from the hot grease.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #26

I don’t do it super hot. Just not quite cool enough. I was a little surprised it was effecting the plastic at the just warm temp.

Yes, an exposed element - can I store the fat in the fryer this way? Does it matter if it resolidifies around the element? Can I turn the fryer on again to melt it without causing issues?

(Alec) #28

Tom
Yes you can. It’s not a problem.

Sweet. Just stocked up and ready to go!

Just browsing caveman keto deep fry recipes, he mentions that he couldn’t use an immersion fryer as when you reheat the solid fat it starts to melt and cause air pockets, which causes the element to overheat and disaster ensues when the fat starts to drip through the air onto the red hot element…I’m guessing you’ve never had or heard of this issue?

(Alec) #31

Tom, no never heard of it, or experienced it. However, to be clear, I am a deep fat fryer relactive newbie. So, as this is a safety issue, I agree with your caution. However, I am using lard in mine: I will just keep an eye on it for the problem you mention.
Cheers
Alec

(TJ Borden) #32

I’ve read about that, but I wonder if it’s one of those “could happen” things and not something that necessarily does. If the fat cools in place, I’m not sure where the air pockets would come from.

(TJ Borden) #33

All this talk gave me a hankering; deep fried pork belly and spam fries

Anythings possible, but I had one with an exposed element and never had an issue. That’s got to be a very rare thing once the coil starts warming up the tallow or lard liquefies near immediately.

(Brian) #35

I’ll second the post above that suggested avocado oil for frying. I really like it for a lot of things. It sounds like it would have quite the odd taste but it really does not. I find it less objectionable than olive oil in numerous recipes. It has a high flash point, considerably higher than olive oil. And at least here, it’s priced pretty competitively along side of olive oil.

(Alec) #36

Ok, I just cooked spam fries and you were right! But the big difference between these and normal potato fries is I could eat probably 10 spam fries and I was done. If I was eating normal fries I could eat 100 easily! And still have room for dessert!

(TJ Borden) #37

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. After the first one you think “I could eat these all day”, and then a few more and… you’re done.

(Chris) #38

I need a fry daddy. Growing up, my dad had one. We fished a lot, used a lot of different fryers (outdoor, the nice looking indoor ones, etc), and Ill be damned but the fry daddy is the only set it and forget it and stores and cleans easy. Id love to fill one with tallow or clarified butter and be able to store it between uses nicely.