Very sour kombucha

(Tsering M) #1

I don’t have a hydrometer - I am in Nepal; it’s not available here. But I brew my kombucha for few months at least in an attempt to reduce the sugar content as much as possible. Would it be too risky to drink it since I am trying to keto adapt?

There are no probiotics supplement available in the market here. Amazon doesn’t ship here. And I don’t do dairy due to health issues, except I am doing ghee these days.

(Tom) #2

I’ve never made it before, but others who have usually describe the right time to drink is is when the scoby crawls out of the jar and starts eating the cat food. :smile: I don’t know that it would be a health issue to drink it that sour. Perhaps you can dilute it with water when you drink? Hopefully others who have more experience will chime in.

(jketoscribe) #3

MonthS is far too long. You could clean an engine with it at that point! It must be very unpleasant to drink.

I do about 1 week of primary fermentation (on the scoby) and another week of secondary fermentation in a bottle with some added dried cherries for flavoring. My husband was a professional winemaker and did an analysis on my kombucha. He found the residual sugar was 0.05%, which is about 4 g in 8 oz. It’s pleasantly sour at that point.

Perhaps 2 weeks is long enough to get it down to a very reasonable sugar level, it would be unpleasant tasting if you let it go too much longer (I have, it is!).

I use a continuous brew system and have a scoby approaching 4 inches thick at this point in time. About twice a year I thin it down to 1" or so. It’s an amazing thing! Weighs a pound or two.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #4

I love booch
I want to start making it again. I’ll need to start a local scoby search…
I used to have a batch going for a few years before keto

(Ish Jenkinson) #5

Shame you’re not in Australia Brenda. I’ve got a spare jar :blush:

I follow the same process. i made the mistake of leaving it for a month once and ended up with vinegar!

(jketoscribe) #7

You can get a scoby from a jar of plain booch. I started mine from a GT kombucha scoby. Look on the shelf for a bottle with a well-formed disk of scoby.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #8

Yes! That’s right! I’d almost forgotten. Thanks!

(Tsering M) #9

I don’t mind however strongly sour it gets🙂 but have been brewing it this long to try to achieve zero sugar content, in the absence of a measuring device.

I guess I am trying to weigh the pros & cons of it while on a ketogenic diet - if it comes to 4 gms sugar per 8 oz then I would have to cut carbs from vegetables? But I need my probiotics.

Also I have seen people write that continuous brewing is not healthy for the scobys - and you definitely should not reuse the scoby from continuous brewing for batch brewing (from what I have been reading online).

(Tsering M) #10

GT has started pasteurizing their Kombucha, I believe - I wonder if that would work to grow a scoby from.

I’m also interested in this. I have been avoiding kombucha for the past couple of months because I am trying to do zero carb. But I have a continuous brew setup and I’ve kept the scoby going. 4 g carbs in 8 oz would be a deal breaker for me. Would apple cider vinegar provide similar probiotic benefits without the carbs?

(Tsering M) #12

ACV is a prebiotic - I just learned recently. So it would provide food for the probiotics but not the probiotics themselves.

It would also help detox and alkalize. And help digest.

Interesting. Thank you!