Very Low Carbohydrate Diets for Diabetes (ADA 2018)

(Steffen Yount) #1

Very Low Carbohydrate Diets for Diabetes (ADA 2018)

Sounds like progress with the ADA

A keto diet allowed me to stop using insulin and metformin, and my blood sugars are better than they were on those drugs.

(Aimee Moisa) #3

I am practically jumping up and down in my chair with happiness! Finally they’re starting to take us, and the science, seriously.

(Aimee Moisa) #4

“It is a good diet to have if you have diabetes, and the data support that,” she concluded.

!!!

:^)

Thanks for this. Dr. Jeannie Tay from the University of Alabama at Birmingham rocks!!!

Love how she defined VLCD as containing between 20-70 grams of carbohydrate per day (like Phinney & Volek), without the sweeping assumption/confusion that all metabolic healing requires Atkins induction period for life (ie 15-20g max), which is something that continually comes up around this forum.

Maria Muccioli Ph.D’s conclusion is the perfect way to convey to the dietetic community:

“Undoubtedly, very low carbohydrate diets for the management of diabetes have been gaining popularity and acceptance in recent years. It is difficult to deny that they constitute an effective and important tool for optimizing glycemic control for both type 1 and type 2 diabetes patients.”