Very Long Introduction

(Bob M) #41

I’ve converted intermittent fasting into the way I live. On the days I eat, I wait as long as I can before eating, which may only be 10:30 am or 1-3pm, depending on whether I’ve gone to the gym (10:30am) or not (later). Even if I eat “early” (10-10:30am), I then won’t eat until dinner, often 8 hours between meals.

For longer fasts, I’m trying to fast 36 hours a few times per week, and try to fast 3-5 days periodically, and with a week or so of “recovery” every once in a while, where I eat daily. I’ve done many 3+ day fasts (15?) and between 5-10, 4.5-5.5 day fasts. I went a year with fewer extended fasts, as I became very cold if I fasted more than 12 hours or so. That seems to have passed (was it the increased salt intake, summer, or both?), so I’m back to fasting longer. Over that year, I have DEXA scans, where I gained about 4 pounds of muscle and lost 6 pounds of fat. Since I’d like to lose another 20 pounds or so, I’m back to fasting longer, as these seem to be the only way I can make the fat loss faster, even eating keto/primarily meat.

Fasting is also freeing. Traveling? Don’t eat while traveling and not until you arrive. Go somewhere and all they have is carbs? Drink coffee/tea/water and skip the meal.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #42

Thanks Bob.

I’m at about 50 hours right now.
I feel fine but will likely eat in a few hours. I’m surprised how good I feel. Light hunger pangs, no light headedness, good energy.

I’ll try this again if all continues as well.

My weekly weigh-in was yesterday. I’m down 8 lbs this week, about 78 over all

(Carissa JB) #43

Good for you💝 and glad to know you!

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #44

Thanks Carissa! You too.

(Valerie J Smith) #45

You are doing so well. You are inspirational.

(Daisy) #46

Very inspirational story, thanks for sharing! I have a coworker who did Keto for a short time as a “diet”, gave up and is doing prep for gastric bypass. Makes me a little sad because I know if she could have stayed the course, it would have helped her. I told her I was happy for her and to do what she needed to do. I just worry it’s not going to make her happy in the long run. There are habits that need changed if you want the lifelong improvement. So happy to hear you’re making those changes! Here’s to a long and healthy life for you, my friend!

My experience, with people who’ve had gastric bypass, is they find it very difficult to change their eating habits and suffer with serious stomach issues, diarrhea, etc. I’m not saying this will happen to your coworker, but given that she’s already given up keto, it wouldn’t surprise me. So be prepared for this.

When you think about it, gastric bypass is just forced fasting, but I think there is a serious lack on the medical side to prepare the patent for this. At least that’s the only thing that makes sense to me when I’ve know several who’ve had the procedure have so much trouble, with changing their eating habits, to adapt.

I believe the procedure tends to be viewed as a “magic pill”, or last resort, for weight control, so when it’s done, everything should just work out, right? Not exactly. It doesn’t cure the patient, it just FORCES them to change their eating habits, usually at a very unpleasant price.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #48

Thank you Ketodaisy & Valerie! If in any way, me trying to claw my way out from under 275 lbs of excess weight is helpful, then I am glad to post my details. :blush:

Since finding Keto, I learn more and more… and get madder and madder that I’ve spent most my life trying and failing to be healthier because I was working from faulty premises. I remember seeing food pyramid charts in elementary school. I’ve spent my WHOLE life blaming myself for all my weight-related issues; assuming I was just doing it wrong.

Fast forward to keto and I find that my health improves, appetite diminishes, cravings dry up, and weight drops all while I’m pounding down calories from an inverted food pyramid. Hmmm.

I started my 3rd EF (48+ hours) in as many weeks yesterday. I’m not trying to accelerate weight loss…I’m thankful for how things have gone so far. I’m hoping to lower my BP, improve my T2D, and reset my body’s weight setpoint… Because conventional advice screwed them ALL up. I’m also tryin HARD to outsmart my body’s desire to stop me from changing things.

Weekly weigh-in is tomorrow. I’m hoping to see a loss, but know it may or may not be there.

You know what IS there? I feel TERRIFIC!

The scale can’t take that away.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #49

Darren, I mostly agree with your take on the surgery. It IS the solution for a great many people… and more power to them. But I don’t think it fits everyone. It did not fit me for the very reasons you mentioned.

I lost the battle to get my friend to adjust his eating SOME prior to surgery. He had his surgery Monday. Now he’s eating jello 3oz at a time and telling me “I’m losing weight!” while I’m thinking “of course you are…” as I eat a steak with eggs. I really wish he would have tried.

My sister had both surgeries (lap band and now bypass about a year ago). She lost weight the first time with the band but ultimately gained it back. A year ago she had bypass and she quickly lost 60 lbs and that’s where she’s pretty much stalled. She still eats all the shit food she ate prior to surgery… Ice cream, taco bell and all the rest of it just in smaller quantities. I agree with you it’s a form of food restriction.

So while I think surgery may be helpful to some… If an individual doesn’t change what they put in their mouth they are most likely to fail in the end. I’ve seen it first hand sadly.

(I Am The Egg Man ku-ku-kachoo) #51

I’m sorry to hear that, Trisha.
Sadly, I think it’s pretty common. My friend told me weeks before his surgery that knew 3-4 people who had it done in recent years… One succeeded in losing abt half the weight but now has an alcohol issue, the other two have struggled to lose the weight. :unamused:

I’m hoping his transition is smoother.