Very lazy corned beef

Okay so I’m really lazy at heart and a cave man cook…but you know those pre seasoned corned beef they sell in those heavy duty packages in the meat section this time of year, would I be crazy to sous vide it in the package? Just wondering? FYI i didn’t do it. Yet ha!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

I would drain it and put it in a double ziplock or vacuum seal it. I don’t think it’s wise to cook meats in the factory vacuum sealed packages. I think some commercial packing plants still use plastics with bpa in them.

(Steve) #3

It’s on my list of sous vide tricks, It might be a little salty though. Let me know if you try it.
I cooked a spiral ham in the commercial packaging and it worked out super juicy an moist. Just take the labels off. I will cook my next spiral they same way.
Here it is in the bath.

(Jeff Henderson) #4

The spices come in a pack inside that you should open and keep the juice to Sous Vide. I’m doing a 3.25 pounder for 16 hours in a couple days.

(Steve) #5

let us know how it works out please

(Jeff Henderson) #6

I’m going to do 158-160 degrees for 16 hours. I still have leftover short ribs from last night 24 hour cook.

(Steve) #7

Jeff how did your corned beef work out? Did you sous vide in the packaging, time, temp with any adjustments and was it salty?
Here is my foil wrapped corned beef which is really hard to beat for flavor, I will never boil again. I’m going to give sous vide corned beef point a go this week.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #8

Is the curing/pickling method keto friendly with corned beef? If so, Im making it this weekend. I looooooooove corned beef :metal:

(Ken) #9

For those who like the DIY approach, you should try corning your own beef. If you think the brisket from the store is good, try one made from Round or Sirloin Tip roast.

(Steve) #10

Dena, Did you sous vide corned beef on the weekend?
Mine turned out great with a 140 degree - 50 hour cook, easy peezy with 5 minutes prep and a 1 minute fry. I bought 3 more to test out temp/time wise. Super flavor and I will never boil again. I will save the corned beef juice from the 4 cooks and use it to boil cabbage and veg for St Patty’s Day.

(Marie) #11

I like to sous vide the corned beef and then finish it in the oven or broiler until browned.

(Failed) #12

I know this is an older post, but please know that sous vide in store packaging may not be safe.

Is it safe to sous vide in store packaging?

Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance when it’s so cheap to put it in packaging that is known to be safe.

(Marie) #13

I make them - they have to cure for 1-2 weeks but turn out fantastic. Very easy.