Very Disappointed

(Richard Morris) #61

I have to say this is pretty much the goal we have for all our listeners - find what works for you and keep calm and keto on. Well done.

People get stressed about eating correctly, all the constraints of ketogenic diets are relevant for dietary studies, and sometimes when you yourself are first starting out they can be relevant for giving yourself some guard rails … but the goal is to get to the point where you can just naturally and safely walk down the stairs without needing the guard rails.

(Mark Allen) #62

How much daily protein is required for a 106 lb woman trying to avoid losing weight and trying to avoid type2 by reducing carbs and sugars?

How much “daily grams of protein” for a lazy man wt 205 lbs trying keto to lose weight 10-20lbs and correct his type2 tendencies?
Also very concerned about getting enough potassium on keto? how much potassium is enough?

cant find a reasonable answer anywhere on the Google? LOL.
That’s the problem. apparently there is no such thing as a dietician or doctor that knows anything about nutrition. RDA, RDI is fraud. An even scarier fact is that there is no evidence of any of the recommended daily requirements for human consumption of foods vitamins minerals!!!
the only medication i know of that “some” doctors dose depending on weight is Synthroid,
all other meds are given in same dosage for a 96 Lb woman as for a 350 Lb man? insanity? pain killers…antibiotics…everything… same dosage any weight, any height, any sex, any age over 12yo gets the ““standard dosage””. Think about it a 7 foot tall 350lb man has double the blood, triple the size of liver as a tiny 96lb woman. makes 0% sense, but I cannot find a dietician anywhere to adjust rdi based on body size, they simply are in the DARK AGES!

(Rich Hopkins) #63

Or they have a good enough command of the English language to not need to descend into adolescence in order to make their point.

(Rich Hopkins) #64

Richard - thank you. BTW, my wife loves you for the way you explain the science.

Late to the thread but wanted to have this quick say - I really love it when you guys joke around, it lends a lightness to the content which can be pretty dense. Keep playing! Stay young!

Bumping this thread as it reminded me of an older study titled ‘Acyl and Total Ghrelin Are Suppressed Strongly by Ingested Proteins, Weakly by Lipids, and Biphasically by Carbohydrates’, which also looked at the impact of the three macronutrients on BG and insulin.

Subjects ingested a 500 kcal drink comprising either 80% of CHO, PRO or FAT (with the remaining 20% being made up equally of the other two macros). Bloods were then monitored over a 6-hour period. I have pasted the relevant graphs below:

Plasma glucose levels increased by 60% by 40 min after the carbohydrate beverage, normalizing by 180 min, whereas no glucose elevation occurred after protein or lipid beverages.

Insulin levels peaked at 40 min after each of the drinks. As expected, the greatest insulin increase occurred after carbohydrate consumption, in which levels increased by 764%. The peak after protein consumption was the next largest (391% increase), and lipids induced the smallest increase (183% increase). The effect of protein to increase plasma insulin was sustained until the end of sampling at 6 h, whereas it reached baseline at 240 min after lipids and 260 min after carbohydrates.

These results are useful because (a) it explains why carnivore folks using CGMs usually get something of a flatline BG reading after eating, and (b) it demonstrates that macros like protein AND fat do trigger an insulin response.

Though not my intention, unfortunately, it will likely perpetuate some of the ‘protein phobia’ you encounter in keto crowds. For example, the PSMF referred to earlier (known as the Last Chance diet) was poorly conceived. No wonder folks died. Yet, a PSMF using more optimal sources can be a wonderful diet (IMO).Anyway, hopefully folks find the research posted here a useful reference.

(bulkbiker) #67

Study here if anyone wants to read it

http://europepmc.org/article/PMC/2386677

(Polly) #68

I just want to say that I have picked up the podcast again and I am really enjoying it. It is great to hear the camerarderie as well as the guest interviews and I think the boolsheet is not only fine it is also informative.

Thank you Dudes.

(Butter Withaspoon) #69

It’s good isn’t it! Having our friends back. I’m really enjoying it too

(Edith) #70

The graphs are interesting. It appears that the insulin response to protein lasted much longer and took longer to return to baseline than for carbs and lipids. Was there any explanation for that?

No, the study was primarily looking at ghrelin.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #72